Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn’t read it that way. Isn’t he talking about excitement/anticipation levels ? I think the comparison with a friendly is probably a little extreme but I understand the point about comparative levels of emotional investment. We are in the process of moving house so have been quite busy. We missed the beginning of the Ukraine match and I did remark to my wife that had it been the Albion I would have been rushing around with a bit more urgency to see the whole game. Having said that I have enjoyed every England game at this tournament but without being massively bothered about the result.

Not really. Success in major tournaments for England come around about once in a NEVER. I simply cannot get my head round people who can be so detached from football as to not give a frig when we actually progress deep into a tournament, especially when we look pretty decent.

Quite honestly, I think with some people its an element of "I'm too cool to care about England". Fine. Walk your dog, clear out your shed, whatever. Meantime, most of us will be fully invested watching what could be something that has never, and may never again happen in our lifetimes.

Hopefully the rest of you will be back in good time for Celebrity Catchphrase, or a repeat of Come Dine With Me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m definitely not as excited as I was during Euro 96, but I wasn’t an old git back then. :)

I'm not sure at which point the passionate enthusiasm converted to general enjoyment for me. I think it was at the point I started to realise I was getting upset at something I didn't need to be upset about. A bit like having too much to drink and then deciding you don't want the hangovers anymore.I also felt my England obsession was getting in the way of my enjoyment of European football in general.

I think I've got it fine tuned now. Still want England to win, really look forward to their games. But once the final whistle has blown that's it. If they've lost, so what ? It's just a game of football, and I love it. And there's still more to come from the other teams.

The irony is that in taking that view of things the interest in the tournament as a whole grows deeper and more involved. Loving England's progress, but no more upset or hangover. Win win.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I may have said before , that the higher the Albion get the less committed I have become to England.
I used to be passionate, watched in the pub, flew the flag on my car felt gutted when they lost ......I looked up to the team as heroes.
Now I see them as Albion's rivals, the opposition. If you slag them off 38 weeks a year why love them now?
When they fall over I think "they drew that foul".. I recall Kane cheating a penalty out of us last season.. Grealish ? Irish Sockboy...we know about him.
It is not the same now.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not really. Success in major tournaments for England come around about once in a NEVER. I simply cannot get my head round people who can be so detached from football as to not give a frig when we actually progress deep into a tournament, especially when we look pretty decent.

Quite honestly, I think with some people its an element of "I'm too cool to care about England". Fine. Walk your dog, clear out your shed, whatever. Meantime, most of us will be fully invested watching what could be something that has never, and may never again happen in our lifetimes.

Hopefully the rest of you will be back in good time for Celebrity Catchphrase, or a repeat of Come Dine With Me.

Spot on. People love to say they don't care. It's weird. Maybe it's just a case of being hurt so many times before. But that is EXACTLY why, when England finally do win another tournament, it will feel so good.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Is it because our England team is filled with cheats, convicted thugs, covid rule breakers, drink drivers, hit and runners, gun tattoo bearers etc? Love watching England Rugby Union Team but can't abide our national football team who offer very little to aspire to - especially when compared to most of the 66, 70 and a few years after that teams. The Albion have managed to maintain, pretty much, a no dickheads policy but our national team seems to be full of them.

I expect to be shot down in flames but you asked and that's my view :shootself

No, it's not that. And I don't really agree.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I don't understand why you feel the need to post this opinion? You're so not fussed that you have to tell us you're so not fussed?

If everyone thought like that there wouldn't be a NSC. I wondered if I was in the minority and it seems I'm not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are people on this thread saying they don’t care? I think most are enjoying the ride but some aren’t feeling really excited by it. What is weird is being told that we should feel the same as those who are really excited. If we don’t we are getting sneered at. As for trying to be cool, what is remotely cool about not being enthusiastic about winning football?

For those who are finding this the most enjoyable football experience they have ever had, great and I hope we do go all the way and win. It will be a win/win all round, for country and the English population

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

I’m guessing your high horse is white and you’ve painted a big red St George’s Cross on it?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I think I've realised the reason, or at least part of the reason.

It's this f*cking country itself. It's the utter shambles and bare faced hypocrisy and corruption of the people in charge of this country that has made me despise it and therefore feel very little patriotism towards my national team.

It's a country full of small minded, bigoted racists run by small minded, bigoted racists.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We are not quite ramped up to full excitement factor yet as we haven't even been challenged so far this tournament. No red cards, no dodgy decisions, not even conceeding a goal !!! It's all been so easy.

I find myself most passionate about the Albion when our backs are against the wall and the fighting spirit kicks in ( near enough every game!!)

Will the next team finally give us this challenge ?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm suspecting it's because of too many years of being let down. Even the win over Germany hasn't reignited the fire. We eased out of the group with 7 points, beat arguably our arch rivals and (expectedly) thrashed Ukraine and haven't even yet conceded.

I'm not that fussed about what happens Wednesday. If we win, great. If we lose, no biggie.

It’s understandable to be cynical about England if you’re old enough to have felt the disappointment of previous competitions, and are aware of this country’s many faults.
Just enjoy this competition while it lasts though. Why would you not?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It’s understandable to be cynical about England if you’re old enough to have felt the disappointment.
Just enjoy it while it last though. Why would you not?

Italia '90 I really thought we had momentum to win with a quite superb team but dreams were crushed in Turin, Euro '96 we grew in that tournament but we met our nemesis and again were crushed.

This team have momentum and look good, it feels good as well but having seen the dream disappear I am enjoying it for what it is, however, two semi-finals in two consecutive major tournaments is no fluke.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

It's this f*cking country itself. It's the utter shambles and bare faced hypocrisy and corruption of the people in charge of this country that has made me despise it and therefore feel very little patriotism towards my national team.

It's a country full of small minded, bigoted racists run by small minded, bigoted racists.

There lies your problem . You are getting caught up in all the negative boring campaigns and being offended shit . That stuff is consuming and constant and isn’t actually a reflection of real life at all .

The country isn’t racist and is no where near as bad as those daily outraged campaigners will brain wash you with .

My advice is give all that crap a rest , go to the pubs , speak to normal people about normal life and the love will return .

It’s all negative shit and it drags you down !

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
different games = different emotions simple as that for me. The win (or rather goals) against Germany had me off my seat (and into my street!) , for sheer release of tension. Saturday had me sat back in a sense of "disbelief" of the relative ease we secured a thumping win. I expect game and my reactions vs. Denmark to be more akin to Germany, but nothing to do with my excitement for the tournament.

The only "downside" to England progressing is that I have to share these moments with increasing numbers of people who don't really like football and I get sulky and protective of the emotion and tension!! In my circles, that means wives and girlfriends who spend 11 months of the year actively disliking football, but suddenly, they are all about the face-painting, hat-wearing "lets make it a street party" atmosphere more akin to the Silver Jubilee than a footy match - who won't give a toss the next morning if we lose, and tell me "ah, but they did so well to get there..." !!! Bit like going to the cup semi-final - "where will we eat?" "Have they got a wine list?" . Yours, V. Meldrew!! :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

So nothing to do with football then?

When you stop worrying about politics life gets better, that’s why I don’t get involved in the borefests on here.
Football is a good escape from some of the shite that goes on in life.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

There are many many countries around the world you could move to that would make you appreciate this wonderful country we live in, not perfect but not bad!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here