Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's going to watch the FA Cup final?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Its very much an age thing. I'm 37, and I'm sure anyone about the same age has a deep-seated and highly RATIONAL hatred of Pompey.
(I'm 37 for another three weeks and I don't mind them that much):wave:

Anyhoo, of COURSE I'm going to watch the cup final - because it's the bloody cup final, it's at Wembley and it should (famous last words) be an open game, thankfully not involving any of the prima donna sides for once. Can't wait.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I don't think the ones throwing stones and coins liked us much.

Pompey fans along with Leeds are the worst I can remember at the Goldstone. After we beat them 1-0 in the cup in the nineties (Mathew Edwards goal I seem to remember), I’ve never experienced so much hostility and hatred inside or outside the ground. There was a few of us who got punched on the back of the head for the crime of walking away and looking inconspicuous in the Beirut style atmosphere. I’d go as far to say that I hate Pompey more than Palace although that has mellowed over the years.

Betting is the way forward tomorrow - The only way I can cheer either team on.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Englands showpiece football event, of course I'll be watching. Just a shame two unfashionable and poor footballing sides are in the final but that's the price you pay for wanting to see Cup shocks.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I agree. I don't understand all this 'hatred' towards Pompey, personally, I think it's quite pathetic. It's great having the big clubs not ruling something for a change... I definitely will be supporting Pompey.
Presumably you've never been to Portsmouth...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Englands showpiece football event, of course I'll be watching. Just a shame two unfashionable and poor footballing sides are in the final but that's the price you pay for wanting to see Cup shocks.

I do enjoy your subtle little landmines that you lay.
:lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Maybe it's about age then. I'm 43 and the absolute number one main rival for me is Palace. The battles we had with them on (and off) the pitch during the 70s and 80s were the most intense of all. OK there was rivalry with Pompey, but there were also battles with West Ham, Millwall, Chelsea. When we got back up to the championship after being back in Brighton the ONLY game I looked for on the fixture list was Palace.

Likewise, nearly 43, biggest rival is Palace.

Oh, the person that mentioned the coining and stoning incident, don't think they reserved that for us because we were just along the coast...they did it to everyone...and, can anyone honestly say that the fans of any team received a friendly welcome in Brighton around that time...no, didn't think you could. It is only in the last 10 years or so that we have become the darlings of the league and had love-ins with the likes of Wrexham, Doncaster and just about anyone who we take a shine to.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Maybe it's about age then. I'm 43 and the absolute number one main rival for me is Palace. The battles we had with them on (and off) the pitch during the 70s and 80s were the most intense of all. OK there was rivalry with Pompey, but there were also battles with West Ham, Millwall, Chelsea. When we got back up to the championship after being back in Brighton the ONLY game I looked for on the fixture list was Palace.

Same age & same feeling. I've never really had any hatred of Pompey. Yes, there have been a few "hairy" times down at Fratton, but nothing like it used to be against Palace.

I certainly want Pompey to win the cup much more than I could ever want Cardiff to win it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do enjoy your subtle little landmines that you lay.
:lolol:
I know. It took me a while to work out he was a wind-up merchant - which just proves how good he is. It was when he said 'the new England shirt is great' that the penny finally dropped with me.

Ernest, eat your hear out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know. It took me a while to work out he was a wind-up merchant - which just proves how good he is. It was when he said 'the new England shirt is great' that the penny finally dropped with me.

Ernest, eat your hear out.

He done me hook, line and sinker with his spirited and infuriating defence of the FA, Barwick and McLaren. :dunce:

But I'm on to him now.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I think it's the best cup final for years. No Man Ure in it, no Chelsea in it, no Liverpool in it. They are the kind of clubs that make the Cup Final boring as they are in it year after year. It's great to see to diffferent teams in it - despite one of them being welsh!!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Pompey fans along with Leeds are the worst I can remember at the Goldstone. After we beat them 1-0 in the cup in the nineties (Mathew Edwards goal I seem to remember), I’ve never experienced so much hostility and hatred inside or outside the ground. There was a few of us who got punched on the back of the head for the crime of walking away and looking inconspicuous in the Beirut style atmosphere. I’d go as far to say that I hate Pompey more than Palace although that has mellowed over the years.

Betting is the way forward tomorrow - The only way I can cheer either team on.
That was about the most exciting atmosphere at any game I have been too. It was such an inspired decision to not make it all-ticket; unsegregated terracing for a local derby - brilliant if a little scarey.

I would also say I HATE Pompey more than Palace - Palace is a rivalry, I'd be lost without them but Pompey - it's hate, it's their big-mouth "we won something once" attitude and that stupid bell and that stupid chant, see I've started now.

I haven't watched a cup final in years but could make an exception this year, if only it wasn't Cardiff! Still I expect a small wager on Cardiff to win will make it more interesing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be honest, I am indifferent about both teams, and therefore don't mind about who wins the cup.

I am also delighted that none of the 'big 4' are in the final. It brings a certain level of vitality in much-needed renaissance to a competition so cruelly hogged by the same clubs year after year.

I don't suppose this trend will continue, so I am going to watch and - hopefully - enjoy the match.

One quick thing - it's interesting that of all the big 4, only one refused to take their cup exit with any grace or dignity, and as of a couple of weeks ago, they were still moaning. Guess who?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
COME ON YOU BLUEBIRDS!
As for interest in the FA Cup, I'd rather watch this than a European Cup final between Man Utd and Chelsea!

Will you go on their forums after the game and big up your tier 3 play off final :lol:

Go on, you know either one of them will be REALLY REALLY impressed

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the face of it, Portsmouth vs Cardiff doesn't sound exciting but what makes it the most fascinating final for years is:

1. First real chance for Wales to land the Cup for 81 years - there probably won't be another chance in our lifetimes.

2. European football for either side.

3. Cardiff financially f***ed so REALLY need the win.

4. Both clubs won bugger all for the last 60+ years.

5. A decent sprinkling of "names" getting their last chance of the high life - Fowler, Hasselbaink, James, Sol Campbell.

6. Harry at Wembley - the interview afterwards promises to be interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here