Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's going to watch the FA Cup final?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was definitely Leeds. I remember Anders Limpar scoring a blinding equaliser at Elland Road 2 minutes after Leeds has taken the lead

The one I remember was in 1980 - it actually went to a 3rd replay

1979/1980
English FA Cup Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool 01-05-1980
English FA Cup Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal 28-04-1980
English Division 1 (old) Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal 19-04-1980
English FA Cup Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal 16-04-1980
English FA Cup Liverpool 0-0 Arsenal 12-04-1980

They even played each other in the league in the middle of it all

you were also right, and the one you were on about went to four games as well

1990/1991
English FA Cup Leeds United 1-2 Arsenal 16-02-1991
English FA Cup Arsenal 0-0 Leeds United 13-02-1991
English FA Cup Leeds United 1-1 Arsenal 30-01-1991
English FA Cup Arsenal 0-0 Leeds United 27-01-1991

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh FFS wind your neck in. Typical NSC my arse! Some people are bored with the big teams monopolising everything, other people don't like Pompey and Cardiff, and for some of us the two aren't even mutually exclusive. So f***ing what? it's a message board. The only thing that is "typical NSC" is that it is a typical message board with different people offering differing opinions.
Temper, temper! Just 'cos you don't like either of them! :p

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Didn't bother with the final last year as I dislike Chelsea and their fans. Am faintly amused about this year's finalists -would prefer Pompey to win as they are a south coast club and there is a bit of a knock on effect.

Last cup final I really enjoyed was WHam v Liverpool.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I'd like to see Pompey win, if only to keep the cup in England. The rivalry with Pompey has never been anything like that with Palace, so I don't have the same dilemma I would have if Cardiff were playing Palace in the final.

It'll also be amusing to see how many times 'arry complains about being 'down to the bare bones' if he has to balance premier league with UEFA cup next season.

Dandyman

In London village.
Looking forward to the first annual GDC Skate hunting day in the wilds of west Sussex, having prepared ourselves at the Yapton Beer Festival first.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I LOVE FA Cup Final day, regardless who's playing. Its an excuse for me and a bunch of mates to go on a pub crawl from 11am, put bets on, get pissed up, camp out for the match round someones house, and then have a BBQ afterwards. A proper all-dayer.

I'm usually so off my tits by 3pm I don't even know who's playing anyway.
Shoreham High St, tomorrow morning, 11am. Bring. It. ON.

:drink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The rivalry with Pompey has never been anything like that with Palace, .

Sorry, but that's simply NOT true. There were long periods in the 80's and early 90's when we didn't ever play Palace, but had a string of running battles with the Skate.

Its very much an age thing. I'm 37, and I'm sure anyone about the same age has a deep-seated and highly RATIONAL hatred of Pompey.

Especially if they were lucky enough to have been among the Albion faithful standing in the rain in the uncovered away end at Fratton for an hour after the 5-1 defeat, whilst being pelted with stones and coins.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am looking forward to this one, have a distinct feeling that it will either be an absolute classic (like Liverpool v West Ham) or a damp squib, at least we get to see some unlikely teams in the final. Have to say that I also want Pompey to win, if only to bring the cup to the South Coast for the first time in over thirty years. Despite a few bad experiences in and around Fratton I have worked with a few Pompey fans over the years, they were all good blokes, if nothing else it would please me for them to have a winning day out at Wembley.

Play up Pompey.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I LOVE FA Cup Final day, regardless who's playing. Its an excuse for me and a bunch of mates to go on a pub crawl from 11am, put bets on, get pissed up, camp out for the match round someones house, and then have a BBQ afterwards. A proper all-dayer.

I'm usually so off my tits by 3pm I don't even know who's playing anyway.
Shoreham High St, tomorrow morning, 11am. Bring. It. ON.

:drink:

Exactamondo. Golf in the morning, lunch, beer, bet, football. It will be a good day whatever.

On a general point, I’m with Brovian here. The only decent FA Cup final for years was West Ham V Liverpool. Any of the games involving 2 of the big four have been complete snooze fests. Whilst I could have picked 2 better teams to be there, it certainly won’t be any worse than that crap between Chelsea and Man U last year. Even if the game tomorrow is shithouse some of the games in the cup this year have been great – much better than recent years such as Reading reserves V Man U reserves.

Liverpool V H&W
Liverpool V Barnsley
Barnsley V Chelsea &
Man U V Pompey (especially the ranting of Ferguson & Quiroz afterwards)

If nothing else, I’m hoping that it proves that any team can get to the final and stop twats like Hughes and Coppell putting out reserve team sides to preserve their premiership status.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
COME ON YOU BLUEBIRDS! I for one think it would be great if the cup left England. Can anyone who wants Portsmouth to win truly call themselves a BHA fan?!?!

As for interest in the FA Cup, I'd rather watch this than a European Cup final between Man Utd and Chelsea!

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe it's just me, but I've never met a Pompey fan who considered us to be their rivals, or really gave two hoots about Brighton & Hove Albion. As much as they're a local team (by our standards) and supposedly are our second biggest rivals after Palace, we've gotten more grief from Cardiff City over the last few seasons. I certainly won't be supporting the sheep shaggers tomorrow.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Didn't bother with the final last year as I dislike Chelsea and their fans. Am faintly amused about this year's finalists -would prefer Pompey to win as they are a south coast club and there is a bit of a knock on effect.
More floating fans going over the "local" glory club??

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I just can't understand why any BHA fan would take pleasure from another South Coast team winning silverware, especially not Pompey or Southampton. Surely its about bragging rights at the end of the day!?!?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Sorry, but that's simply NOT true. There were long periods in the 80's and early 90's when we didn't ever play Palace, but had a string of running battles with the Skate.

Its very much an age thing. I'm 37, and I'm sure anyone about the same age has a deep-seated and highly RATIONAL hatred of Pompey.

Especially if they were lucky enough to have been among the Albion faithful standing in the rain in the uncovered away end at Fratton for an hour after the 5-1 defeat, whilst being pelted with stones and coins.
Maybe it's about age then. I'm 43 and the absolute number one main rival for me is Palace. The battles we had with them on (and off) the pitch during the 70s and 80s were the most intense of all. OK there was rivalry with Pompey, but there were also battles with West Ham, Millwall, Chelsea. When we got back up to the championship after being back in Brighton the ONLY game I looked for on the fixture list was Palace.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but I've never met a Pompey fan who considered us to be their rivals, or really gave two hoots about Brighton & Hove Albion. As much as they're a local team (by our standards) and supposedly are our second biggest rivals after Palace, we've gotten more grief from Cardiff City over the last few seasons. I certainly won't be supporting the sheep shaggers tomorrow.

I agree. I don't understand all this 'hatred' towards Pompey, personally, I think it's quite pathetic. It's great having the big clubs not ruling something for a change... I definitely will be supporting Pompey.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Probably won't unless it's raining!

In "the old days" I would never have missed it, but there's so much footie on the tele now that it's just another game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here