Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who'll be out in the Newcastle exodus?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why should Owen go to a Prem club? When Real Madrid released him there wasn't exactly a queue for his services and now he's two years older with a lot more injury problems. I'm sure someone will take a chance on him but I can't see them fighting their way to St James's Park to take him on.

His pride will take big dent when he has to sign for an also-ran Prem club...which is the best he will get.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's amusing me no end that the Newcastle fans are still blindly placing all the blame on Mike Ashley. Not Kevin Keegan, not Joe Kinnear, not Alan Shearer, and seemingly not on the bunch of mercenary shysters masquerading as Premier League players who've performed to such dismal levels all season that they've finished as one of the worst three teams in the division.

Shearer on MOTD was the best bit for me, suggesting that things have started to go wrong not since he arrived (god forbid, Alan) but before that, possibly even for the last two or three years. As opposed to the GLORY DAYS when he played, of course, and Newcastle won everything going :jester:

When was their last major trophy again?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Does Geremi still play for them, he might well be on that, seeing as he was at Chelsea before hand?

And Duff for sure. That's the thing I still can't believe. I remember seeing him as one of the leading stars of Mourinho's first title in 2004/05, who thought that 4 years later he'd be playing for a pitiful Newcastle side being relegated.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Them players walking off at the end were a disgrace. Didn't even look bothered that they had been relegated, doesn't matter to them they'll still be picking up their 50k+ wage packet.
Only Taylor and Ameobi looked like the cared at the end.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It's amusing me no end that the Newcastle fans are still blindly placing all the blame on Mike Ashley. Not Kevin Keegan, not Joe Kinnear, not Alan Shearer, and seemingly not on the bunch of mercenary shysters masquerading as Premier League players who've performed to such dismal levels all season that they've finished as one of the worst three teams in the division.

Shearer on MOTD was the best bit for me, suggesting that things have started to go wrong not since he arrived (god forbid, Alan) but before that, possibly even for the last two or three years. As opposed to the GLORY DAYS when he played, of course, and Newcastle won everything going :jester:

When was their last major trophy again?

Well I'd say poor Joe doesn't deserve the blame, they weren't in the relegation zone when he left. Nolan wasn't a bad signing really and I guess that Rangers bloke was the best you could get on the cheap.

I agree with Shearer that the rot set in before hand. It was the moment they sacked Sir Bobby Robson and replaced him with a man who was about to be sacked as Blackburn manager..

Bowyer and Dyer fighting each other proved to be just the first scene in the tragic comedy that has occured since.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Their fans may be twats for their demands that Allardyce be sacked and the general hounding of Ashley, but they don't deserve a squad of cretins who can't even be arsed to put up a fight in their biggest match for decades.

But who was it that was supposed to motivate their players today? The Manager, Shearer. And who was it that the thick Geordies wanted to take over their 'hot seat' (& indeed continued to chant his name even when they were blubbing after the final whistle today)?? They got precisely what they deserved, imo. Hopefully their time spent outside The Premiership will give the lot of 'em the opportunity to have a good think about being realistic in future - instead of their deluded belief that they have some divine right to footballing success.

I rest my case.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I don't disagree. All I was saying was that ANY group of supporters deserve to have a squad that actually tries and maybe has a shot on target in the defining match of their recent history. I'm not sorry to see Newcastle go down because I believe the fans are the biggest problem at that club. The obsession with a "messiah" as manager, the abuse dished out to a man who's paid off their debts, and the ridiculous belief they should be winning things have played a massive part in their downfall. As for Shearer, he clearly couldn't motivate them today, but it's not the fault of a man who was in charge for 8 games that they're going down.

Fair play to you. ;)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Newcastle are truly buggered, they are going to have to overhaul that whole squad to reduce the wage bill ...

...which is why I don't think they'll bounce staright back. It takes some time to build and blend a squad. It's asking a lot of a novice manager to get it right the first time.

I bet Middlesbrough finish higher than Newcastle next season.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As someone who's been going to Newcastle games quite regularly over the past ten years my own particular tipping point was when they sacked Sir Bobby Robson. The Ashley era has been a disaster with bad decision upon bad decision but the 'sack the manager if he even slightly drops off the pace' ethos was in place before then.

I must admit I haven't seen them live this season, but I watched the Villa game yesterday and apart from the first 10 minutes or so Newcastle were abject. I cannot believe they have got so poor - but then again what do you expect when you change managers every five minutes and end up with a complete novice whose sole qualification for the job is that he used to be a good player for the club. Does anyone think we'd have stayed up this year if we'd employed Peter Ward instead of Russell Slade?

Newcastle's first aim next season will be to make sure they don't 'do a Leeds'.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
If i was a newcastle fan i would be gutted by the performance they but in yesterday, it was awfull, massive game for them and they didnt turn up

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
aufwiedersehn.jpg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am struggling to think of any of the Newcastle squad that would be wanted by a prem club.

Nolan to stoke maybe? Steven Taylor?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Owen has to be the worst buy ever, £17 million and £5-6 million a year in wages, has done nothing and is now worth nothing to Newcastle - beware the overpaid superstar!! Which idiot at Newcastle ever thought he's be any good back in the pace of the premiership with all his injuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here