Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would you want in if McGhee got sacked?

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Sven:dunce:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
I love it that everyone thinks Burley would join us.

But then if a manager is out of work they need to get back into work to get on the ladder and attract better jobs. At the end of the day we got Adams, Taylor and Coppell as it meant they were back in football and it allowed them to show they could manage again.

Even McGhee had managed at a higher level and yet he came to us.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
ERNEST

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
But then if a manager is out of work they need to get back into work to get on the ladder and attract better jobs. At the end of the day we got Adams, Taylor and Coppell as it meant they were back in football and it allowed them to show they could manage again.

Even McGhee had managed at a higher level and yet he came to us.

Burley has a better reputation as a manager than McGhee did, so im not sure the comparison is that apt. Burley took Ipswich to the UEFA cup, even if he did get them relegated.

Burley will get better offers than us. He's already been linked with every Prem club that may sack the manager, as well as Rangers . Why on earth would he choose us? The stadium? The lack of money? He might be looking for work but he wont be short of a quid or two and Im sure he'd rather wait for a bigger club.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
Burley has a better reputation as a manager than McGhee did, so im not sure the comparison is that apt. Burley took Ipswich to the UEFA cup, even if he did get them relegated.

Burley will get better offers than us. He's already been linked with every Prem club that may sack the manager, as well as Rangers . Why on earth would he choose us? The stadium? The lack of money? He might be looking for work but he wont be short of a quid or two and Im sure he'd rather wait for a bigger club.

But then Coppell had a decent reputation, he had managed Palace in the top flight, got them to a Cup Final, third place finish, he had even won the Zenith Data Cup. Taylor had coached the full England side and yet they both came here, because they needed to work. The same applies to Burley.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
Burley would be great but I would settle for him going to Cov and us getting Adams back.

Yeah let's sack a manager who wants to commit to us and bring back one who walked out and failed at his next two clubs...remember Adams had the 2nd biggest budget in Div 3. Not a manager who has had any success without funds, ask Leicester and Coventry fans.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
But then Coppell had a decent reputation, he had managed Palace in the top flight, got them to a Cup Final, third place finish, he had even won the Zenith Data Cup. Taylor had coached the full England side and yet they both came here, because they needed to work. The same applies to Burley.

Sure, that was a long long time before,maybe 10 years or so when he was succesful at Palace. His last club before us was Brentford. And he was hardly being linked with the top clubs, and obviously going from Brentford via the dole to us is a step up.

Taylor had been at Leicester but was seen as damaged goods. His reputation had taken a nosedive, and he was probably happy to take over a well run club and just make minor adjustments.I doubt he was fighting off prospective employers.

Burley is sought-after by much bigger clubs, the other two werent at the time. We wont get him.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
Sure, that was a long long time before,maybe 10 years or so when he was succesful at Palace. His last club before us was Brentford. And he was hardly being linked with the top clubs, and obviously going from Brentford via the dole to us is a step up.

Taylor had been at Leicester but was seen as damaged goods. His reputation had taken a nosedive, and he was probably happy to take over a well run club and just make minor adjustments.I doubt he was fighting off prospective employers.

Burley is sought-after by much bigger clubs, the other two werent at the time. We wont get him.

But then Burley could be considered damaged goods on that basis. Took Ipswich down, got sacked from Derby having to get the play offs for an internal matter, then gets sacked from Hearts for an internal matter. He seems like exactly the sort of manager Knight goes after, one with a slightly damaged reputation.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
But then Burley could be considered damaged goods on that basis. Took Ipswich down, got sacked from Derby having to get the play offs for an internal matter, then gets sacked from Hearts for an internal matter. He seems like exactly the sort of manager Knight goes after, one with a slightly damaged reputation.

Granted, took Ipswich down but then to get them to UEFA cup would stand out more in my eyes, but point taken.

With Derby, noone knows what happened. He did an amazing job taking them to the play offs, I think he would have gone anyway as he had boosted his reputation there and they had already decided to sell Huddlestone and Rasiak, so Im not really sure that the internal thing matters.Could just be malicious rumours anyway.

And as for the Hearts thing, the chief executive has already left, so has the chairman and a number of high profile managers turned the job down. The players were gutted when he was sacked, so I really dont think he emerges with anything negative to his name from there. The Lithuanian guy is a nutter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here