Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would you prefer? Mark McGhee? Leroy Rosenior? Iain Dowie? Stuart Gray?

Mark McGhee? Leroy Rosenior? Iain Dowie? Stuart Gray?

• Mark McGhee

Votes: 43 26.5%
  • Leroy Rosenior

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • Iain Dowie

Votes: 74 45.7%
  • Stuart Gray

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I’d still rather Joe Kinnear, or perhaps Steve Cotterill.

Whatever happens though I don’t think Gray or Rix should get the job.

From the apparent short lists mentioned:
I wouldn’t mind Dowie as he did very well last year and can spot a decent player, and this year despite having to sell his best players Oldham are still doing well.

Rosenior – I didn’t think he would do that well at Torquay as he didn’t have much experience. But over the last season and a quarter he has shown to be competent.

McGhee – not my favourite character but a decent enough manager. He got Millwall promoted to Division 1, despite when taking over them being 12th, he has since got them to the Div 1 playoffs and wasn’t doing a bad job this season. My only concern with him at Millwall was that he inherited some very good players like Cahill, Reid and Neill. Then again the Albion don’t have a bad squad either.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Steve Claridge anyone?

Leroy does seem to be making waves down at Torquay: might even be the best choice. I am coming around to thinking that way!

It is the "passing game" reports that are encouraging, but that also assumes that the players can actually think, pass and trap the ball, which one of these often goes astray. And there is running into position ... but that may be asking too much?

I'll go for Stuart Gray with Ian Dowie as an equal choice, followed by Leroy and Mark McGhee in fourth place.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
perseus said:
Stuart Gray talks a good game. (It is gobbledegook to me and doesn't say anything much.)

Anxious to arrest the technical and mental deficiencies entrenched in the game by decades of misguided disdain for anything that contravened its quixotic mentality, football’s governing bodies have attempted to sweep away the cobwebs of anachronism and instil a gleaming, professional veneer.
(This is the gobbledegook: what would Charlie Oatway think of that?) (Was Don Quixote ever a good footballer?)

I would tend to pick Stuart Gray. Less fireworks and instant success, but more stability. With a new stadium looking more promising, Stuart Gray could be the choice?

Nice to see you back on the Persians.

mona said:
McGhee...would be a strong, experienced manager with lots of contacts.

What 'contacts' would these be? Everyone in football hates the despicable little turd! He shat on Reading and Leicester, got Leicester relegated, was an expensive failure at Wolves, and was loathed by Millwall fans. He also fell out with Alex Ferguson, his old Aberdeen boss and the man who recommended him for the Reading job (as well as sending two impressive Man U youngsters down to Reading).

I think Brighton could probably do without those sort of 'contacts'.

Kevin A

Oct 26, 2003
Just a word about Leroy, since some of you see him as an unknown quantity. He was a gifted attacking player (still revered at West Ham) so he knows what top flight football is about. He in fact stopped playing quite early - went to Gloucester City as player manager but dodgy knee sidelined him. Iworked with him for 3 or 4 years there doing his scouting and assessing, and he was one of the most articulate and intelligent managers you could wish for. He has great coaching skills - not just on paper although that's also worth noting - and his man-management is terrific. He's not a ranter and raver (in case that's what you want).

Leroy was always going to succeed as a coach and/or manager - and incidentally as one of the first black managers in this socially blinkered game of ours. He did a great job at Gloucester and (against high odds) a reasonable job at Merthyr. He was the force behind the manager at Ashton Gate and some of the fruits of his work are evident in Bristol City's current half-decent team. And he has exceeded expectations at Torquay.

I'm not in closest touch with you guys at the Withdean since I'm on the non-league circuit on Saturday afternoons for SCR. But I'd only say to Albion fans - don't get all starry-eyed about famous-name managers. You might not know Leroy well now, but you'll know him for the right reasons in a season or so if DK does opt for him.

(Oh, and he hasnt paid me to say this, I havent seen him for 3 years or more...)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Johnny Byrne has played with Leroy and he has said he did not think he was the Manager-type.

That does not rule him out as a coach, but that is not what Albion need: we need a Manager-type: a decision maker amd problem solver? Or do we just need another coach?

On the list Ian Dowie, is the obvious, Stuart Gray qualifies (?), Leroy is an unknown, and Mark McGhee is the joker in the pack?

Johnny Byrne could be wrong, of course?

Even Ian Dowie is more of a coach?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
WhitleyDennis said:
What 'contacts' would these be? Everyone in football hates the despicable little turd! He shat on Reading and Leicester, got Leicester relegated, was an expensive failure at Wolves, and was loathed by Millwall fans. He also fell out with Alex Ferguson, his old Aberdeen boss and the man who recommended him for the Reading job (as well as sending two impressive Man U youngsters down to Reading).

I think Brighton could probably do without those sort of 'contacts'.

If Reading fans are recommending not to have McGhee then I think that is exactly who we should go for.

I just don't want to see that bastard make another penny out of the game.

Also, from a Brighton point of view, is McGhee really the sort of manager you need at this point? Micky Adams, Peter Taylor and Stevie Coppell have all walked out on the club over the past 3 and a bit seasons. You need a bit of stability right now, someone who will stay and see the club through to the promised land of Falmer in 2-3 years' time. May I respectfully suggest that Mark McGhee is not that man?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I can see the search facility being disabled soon :lolol: :lolol:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Hi I'm Ned Ryerson

:wave:

SHIT wrong thread.............

:jester:

Well, it's an interesting read for someone like me who wasn't on NSC at the time. Interesting comments about McGhee bringing on youth players at Millwall and not having any loyalty.

Stumpy Tim said he would be happy if McGhee got us promoted and then kept us up. So I hope he is :)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
Well, it's an interesting read for someone like me who wasn't on NSC at the time. Interesting comments about McGhee bringing on youth players at Millwall and not having any loyalty.

Stumpy Tim said he would be happy if McGhee got us promoted and then kept us up. So I hope he is :)

I'm sure he is :)

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Why do people keep bringing these threads up again, who cares we got McGhee end of story

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here