Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would you prefer? Mark McGhee? Leroy Rosenior? Iain Dowie? Stuart Gray?

Mark McGhee? Leroy Rosenior? Iain Dowie? Stuart Gray?

• Mark McGhee

Votes: 43 26.5%
  • Leroy Rosenior

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • Iain Dowie

Votes: 74 45.7%
  • Stuart Gray

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
Still Dowie first choice, slightly more experience than Rosenior, and in the second division.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Iain Dowie? what has he done? Did "well" at Oldham with no money apparently. Not quite good enough for me I'm afraid. I'm not happy with struggling with no money and getting into playoffs and failing.

Leroy Rosenior? What are you all on???

Stuart Gray? No comment

Mark McGhee its got to be.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Stuart Grey - doesn't exactly set the pulse racing does it ? I'm genuinely baffled as to why he's even been linked. He did nothing at Southampton so I just don't know why he's even on the shortlist. No thanks.

Leroy Rosenior - please no more pathetic, rascist gags about him being a "dark horse." He'd be a real gamble but one which might just be pay off. Young, intelligent, he's got his UEFA coaching "A" badge. He's done well with young players in the past but it's a big step up for him. Wouldn't be unhappy with him.

Mark McGhee - You have to say out of the four on the short list he's the one with the most proven managerial experience but I just can't warm to the man. I'm sure he would do a good job but how long would he be here? Can't help feeling sceptical about him but diffcult to argue against record. ( What did happen at Millwall.... they were 6th!! )

Iain Dowie - Superb job at Oldham against all the odds; intelligent, used to working with no money, good with young players, plays good football and he's a southerner. My preferred candidiate.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sneaky George said:

Leroy Rosenior - please no more pathetic, rascist gags about him being a "dark horse."

AAGGGHHHH! *bangs head on wall*

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
None of the above - I can't believe that's all we've got to choose from. Not the most exciting bunch in my opinion.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sneaky George said:
Leroy Rosenior - please no more pathetic, rascist gags about him being a "dark horse."

Stuart Grey - doesn't exactly set the pulse racing does it ?

Sneaky George said:
No more name er..ist jokes bout Stuart Gray being boring just because his name is Gray. Gray being a boring colour in society today and is a colour which is very much misunderstood.When are people going to realise that gray is a colour too. Yes that's right, its just like green or yellow or purple. Gray is a just as important. We should all wake up and realise that we shouldn't discriminate against people who's names are associated with colours that are perceived as being boring by an ignorant public.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now that my choice (Cotterill) appears to be out of the running:(

I'll go for my second choice, Dowie.

McGhee has the experience. Probably be OK.

I think it will go to Rosenior, which I won't have a problem with either.

Not Gray though. I think he would be a disaster. He turned a good Southampton team into a very poor one.

Whatever happens, it needs to be sorted out quickly.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good job Steve Cotterill is out of the list.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Why are so many people in favour of the good looking Dowie?
What has he done as a manager?
Bring on Mark Mcghee...a least he seems to have a bit of success in his past.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We know McGhee would walk in a season or two, Falmer or not and originally I was totally opposed to this mercenary wanker, but then in reality any manager will walk as we know. He has more of a proven track record than Rosenior or Dowie and could certainly do a job here in the short term. My money's on the Scottish deserter. "Mark McGhee's (short term) Blue and White Army, Mark McGhee's (short term) Blue and White Army" And we wouldn't be paying any compensation for him either.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stuart Gray talks a good game. (It is gobbledegook to me and doesn't say anything much.)

Anxious to arrest the technical and mental deficiencies entrenched in the game by decades of misguided disdain for anything that contravened its quixotic mentality, football’s governing bodies have attempted to sweep away the cobwebs of anachronism and instil a gleaming, professional veneer.
(This is the gobbledegook: what would Charlie Oatway think of that?) (Was Don Quixote ever a good footballer?)

PS: After an extra hours sleep this morning, the above load of crap, seems more like the journalist in the article (URL below) than Stuart Gray.

If this is the case, a straightforward comment might be that Stuart Gray aspires to belong to the new school of football management, and the alternative is the old fashioned track-suited coach type (like Mark McGhee ?).

http://www.warwickboar.co.uk/?article=2056

Saints Managers records:

http://www.saintsworld.net/managers.html

Lowe came under direct criticism from Saints fans at Upton Park after they had vented their fury at Gray with chants of 'You don't know what you're doing' when he took off popular striker Marian Pahars.
http://www.soccernet.com/england/news/2001/1022/20011022sfcstrachangray.html

I would say that he is a genuine contender for the job. He signed Anders Svensson, a player I don't rate very much, but probably the player for the job at the time. I don't rate Anders Svensson because he is hopelessly one-footed.

On a plus side, any Manager taking over from the Hoddle regime is going to have his work cut out to change to 4-4-2. Especially when they have lost their best defender and some other players for the rest of the season that did not matter so much. Stuart Gray turned down a move to Spurs as assistant to Hoddle (he ain't stupid!).

Stuart Gray is most noted of prising coach Mick Wadsworth away from Newcastle.
Gray smashed the Saints transfer record by capturing defender Rory Delap for £4m from Derby.

His worst match was 3-4 at Tranmere after being 3-0 up.

Career profile:

http://www.4thegame.com/managerprofile?personid=1401

Gray began his football career under the tutelage of Brian Clough and then served under two former England managers - Graham Taylor at Aston Villa and Glenn Hoddle at The Dell.

Ian Dowie was appointed ahead of Stuart Gray at Oldham. (that tells its own story!)

At at an approximate, I would think in order of preference, a lot of people would have:

1. Mark McGhee
2. Ian Dowie
3. Stuart Gray
4. Leroy Rosenior

And Mark McGhee only gets the top place because he is out of a job and lives in the south.

Mark McPhee blamed the Millwall fans for one defeat (that's like blaming lack of confidence, which is a load of shit.)

http://www.soccerbase.com/footballlive/?MIval=managers2&managerid=928

Mark McGhee seems to be a manager more in the Micky Adams mould, i.e. the type of manager to get you put of the lower divisions. If (like me) you want a manager to build a team for the future, I would tend to pick Stuart Gray. Less fireworks and instant success, but more stability. With a new stadium looking more promising, Stuart Gray could be the choice?

In other words, I would see Mark McGhee as the best manager to get the team out Divsion 2 but Stuart Gray as a better bet to keep the Albion in Division One.

As football demands instand success, Mark McPhee looks a clear favourite.

(I don't think Ian Dowie will want to come here: if he does he might seem the best bet?)

Last edited:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
havent heard of any of them.. what made BB suddenly
decide he wasn't up to it?

after x years as deputy, i would be looking for no.1 spot-
either here, or....?? hardly any career movement for him,
is it?

IF i was DK, would have offered him the job first, give time
to think about it, THEN offer it out....

just please dont let it be glenn hoddle!

btw, what's steve foster up to, these days...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here