Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will still buy the sun?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I get it for the sports section as it is better then the sports sections in other newspapers. I also get it on a Saturday so I can read Jeremy Clarkson's page.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The sun is a paper for imbeciles written by sold-out journos who should know better and idiot 'personalities' with guest columns. Brain-rottingly dumbed down, sensationalist claptrap - the perfect platform for morons like Jeremy Clarkson.

The only bit of value is the tits! :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In pure journalistic terms, I wouldn't even blame the agency for what they filed.

They had six sources for that story (four top cops, an ambulanceman, and an MP), double what any journalism college would tell you you needed to file a news story.

The issue was that they were all from the same 'side', so when it came to a paper actually using it, they were obliged to seek further information.

The difference between what the Mirror did (who used the same quotes) and what Mackenzie did, was that the Mirror spoke to their men and women on the ground, this was not what they were hearing from the fans who were in the pens, on the pitch, and in the makeshift mortuaries, so they ran the story with a reaction to the police claims intro-ed and headlined something like 'Fury at police slurs'.

That's how the Mirror did it properly, while the Sun's editor went loopy and failed to do what any decent editor should do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Probably haven't bought it since my early teens, as my first introduction to a "newspaper" rather than buying comics. It seemed to be the smallest jump from one to the other. Then I grew up.
Fair enough.

Unfortunately people like to gossip, talk shit and read tittle tattle. That's why celebrity worshiping/bashing magazines are so popular, and programs like loose women exist. It would be better if people weren't like that, but unfortunately they are. It's not really the Sun's fault, it's the people fault. If the Sun changed it's ways, the people would still demand shit and another paper would take its place. Just like with politicians. People make politicians the way they are. Politicians aren't born liars, they have to lie because people wouldn't vote for them if they told the truth. Face it, people are really f***ing stupid.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That's how the Mirror did it properly, while the Sun's editor went loopy and failed to do what any decent editor should do.

What a shame The Mirror didn't always have such good editors, and ended up with Piers Morgan running faked pictures of servicemen supposedly pissing of prisoners in Iraq. I find it quite unbelievable how he ended up being quite so famous and popular. Personally, I can't stand the smarmy little gobshite.

Can't quite see Kelvin McKenzie having a chat show and a spot judging a TV talent contest.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Consider yourself fortunate. My wife reads the Daily Mail, which is a far more grievous crime.

The trouble with the Daaily Mail is that it is respectable enough for people actually to believe some of the rubbish it prints, mainly, I suppose, because it is pandering or reinforcing their prejudices.

I've never bought the Sun and never will. Bit I don't think anybody takes it seriously anyway.

I can remember reading something by Graeme Le Saux once that most of his footballing colleagues thought he was gay because he read the Guardian and bought antique furniture. There was also something in the Secret Footballer stuff a couple of weeks ago about how maany premiership footbaallers just read the Sun - or probably just look at the pictures.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I buy the sun purely for its football content. It has nothing to do with my IQ and would much rather read that than The Guardian or Mail. The Sun is and always has been the best paper for football news. match reports and information.

I think the Mail is closer to the Sun than it is to the Guardian - just no topless ladies and you have to be able to read.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Fair enough.

Unfortunately people like to gossip, talk shit and read tittle tattle. That's why celebrity worshiping/bashing magazines are so popular, and programs like loose women exist. It would be better if people weren't like that, but unfortunately they are. It's not really the Sun's fault, it's the people fault. If the Sun changed it's ways, the people would still demand shit and another paper would take its place. Just like with politicians. People make politicians the way they are. Politicians aren't born liars, they have to lie because people wouldn't vote for them if they told the truth. Face it, people are really f***ing stupid.

I agree with your sentiment, but I do feel that rags like the sun and the trashy celebrity mags feed the beast so to speak. There is debate about whether the Sun just follows what the public want, or (to a degree) leads public opinion. It's readership is depressingly large and, for the most part, easily led - if there was a gradual shift in editorial policy away from the trash, I daresay most of the readership would follow...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with your sentiment, but I do feel that rags like the sun and the trashy celebrity mags feed the beast so to speak. There is debate about whether the Sun just follows what the public want, or (to a degree) leads public opinion. It's readership is depressingly large and, for the most part, easily led - if there was a gradual shift in editorial policy away from the trash, I daresay most of the readership would follow...
While we'd like newspapers to be about news, the rules allow newspapers to be about making money, and so it's understandable that papers like the Sun are designed to make money. They don't dish trash because it's funny, they do it because it's proven to be profitable. Their owners believe that if they moved away from the trash, they'd make less money, so they don't do it. Given their success, it's difficult to believe they're wrong.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL

its shite

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
While we'd like newspapers to be about news, the rules allow newspapers to be about making money, and so it's understandable that papers like the Sun are designed to make money. They don't dish trash because it's funny, they do it because it's proven to be profitable. Their owners believe that if they moved away from the trash, they'd make less money, so they don't do it. Given their success, it's difficult to believe they're wrong.

Sad, but true!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Unfortunately with Murdoch it didn't just stop at making money, this is one of the areas Leveson will be ruling on.

Rupert Murdoch sought Europe policy change, Sir John Major tells Leveson Inquiry - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder how many people in Sussex have stopped buying both the Sun and the Argus ?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
as far as i'm aware, the sun is hot property at the moment

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I will continue to buy it when they are giving free lego toys away... therefore continuing to be a net drain on them financially.

I will also continue NOT to read it, even when I have bought it for the freebies!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hopefully we'll never have to see that arrogant twat "Kelvin" MacKenzie spouting his opinions on Question Time & other programmes.
Do one "Kevin".

I wish. He has - unfuckingbelievably - a lot of friends and I bet it is only a matter of time Smudge before he pops up making jokes about Stan Collymoore killing himself through depression in one of his hilarious columns somewhere.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There's nothing wrong in reporting that allegation, we know now that the police were briefing journalists that that's what happened, it was bound to be reported. What The Sun did that was so wrong was not alleging this but reporting it as "The Truth" - truly terrible journalism.

I think the point I was trying to make - abeit poorly - Gwylan was that people would have trusted the BBC and unlike most football fans who have taken a keener interest and known the truth, would have thought those reports true all these years later. Just highlights the damage the police did I suppose.

ps I don't think the word allegation was ever used in the reports btw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here