Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will still buy the sun?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I may be in the minority, and certainly in the minority admitting it, but I'll probably be buying it in the future.

Unfashionable a view as it may be today, I don't hold the new staff and editor today reponsible for the action of (primarily) one lunatic 23 years ago. That is just my view though, I wouldn't expect it to be shared by the people of Liverpool and perhaps others. But you will still see The Sun used in newspaper reviews, and being the basis for talk show phone-ins.

Mackenzie overuled and ignored a lot of people that day, but he was the boss, and as with many jobs if you defy the boss, you get sacked.

I also believe that for what its worth, Mohan and the paper have acted appropriately yesterday and today given these new findings, though that clearly doesn't make up for the other 23 years.

I do think Mackenzie is totally discredited. If he'd had any guts he would have done an interview yesterday with a full apology (he's still blaming other people in his release). I would not expect the BBC to use him anywhere as much, if at all, from now on.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
yeah lets all stop buying the Sun now,,,,even though everyone with half a brain cell knew the truth and the NOW editor has made a public statement of appology,,,,,yeah lets stop buying it from now on,,,,idiots!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did anyone with an IQ above that of a cabbage buy it anyway?
Unfortunately yes, and I don't see what will change. It's not like it was a secret that it was a gutter trawling piece of shit.

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
I find it genuinely disappointing that, not only do my co-workers often sit at work browsing the Sun website for the latest revelation about Kerry Katona, but my girlfriend also buys the Sun when faced with a choice of papers.

FML.

Consider yourself fortunate. My wife reads the Daily Mail, which is a far more grievous crime.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Consider yourself fortunate. My wife reads the Daily Mail, which is a far more grievous crime.

You think that's bad. Imagine being published in the bloody thing! Also the Sun is just as bad, it just does it with more pictures.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Never bought The Sun but I saw somewhere that it's the most popular newspaper in the country, Christ knows why.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I caught the sun's spokesperson on the radio last night and he seemed to be apologising for printing what the police had reported to them, did the police really tell them that the Liverpool fans were urinating and stealing from the dead.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I caught the sun's spokesperson on the radio last night and he seemed to be apologising for printing what the police had reported to them, did the police really tell them that the Liverpool fans were urinating and stealing from the dead.

This was close to what I was about to write.

First of all, let me set my stall out. I don't read the sun and probably never will (unless i find it on a train).

But, is this one topic where they really shouldn't be THAT hated for? (I'm playing devil's advocate here). If they have been fed incorrect information by POLICE (who you would assume most would count as pretty much the BEST source at such an event as Hillsborough), then were they really 'wrong' to print it? Obviously, in hindsight it is easy to lambast them for it as it's now proven to be wrong.

Again, I'm not justifying it. Just wondering what people think when ignoring the benefit of hindsight.

Also if I've misread or missed any key info which still shows the Sun were in the wrong then I apologise. I'm just basing this on the 20 mins or so I heard on the news about the panels findings.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Haven't bought that rubbish since 1989. It wasn't JUST because of the Hillsborough story, but that was the tipping point for me.

I don't really see why you would buy it, when there is such a wide choice of newspapers, why pick the one which is full of sensationalist nonsense, and flagrant disregard for facts, or indeed any ability to make a judgement that is even close to mine as to what is the most important story, and thereby what the "headline" story should be.

We can see the World suffer wars, terrorist attacks, murders, economic meltdown, or 'elections' of murderous dictators, but all of that will get relegated to inside pages if David Beckham has a new haircut.

Sorry, but quite apart from the high profile crap that it dishes out, just on a daily basis I take that publication about as seriously as a Daily Viz.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This was close to what I was about to write.

First of all, let me set my stall out. I don't read the sun and probably never will (unless i find it on a train).

But, is this one topic where they really shouldn't be THAT hated for? (I'm playing devil's advocate here). If they have been fed incorrect information by POLICE (who you would assume most would count as pretty much the BEST source at such an event as Hillsborough), then were they really 'wrong' to print it? Obviously, in hindsight it is easy to lambast them for it as it's now proven to be wrong.

Again, I'm not justifying it. Just wondering what people think when ignoring the benefit of hindsight.

Also if I've misread or missed any key info which still shows the Sun were in the wrong then I apologise. I'm just basing this on the 20 mins or so I heard on the news about the panels findings.

That odious rag has had plenty of opportunities to retract its disgraceful headline since the Taylor Report was published. They have known since the day after 'that' headline that they had got it wrong. They have chosen not to apologise until now, when the whole country/world, not only the people of Liverpool have been made aware of what a scummy little rag it is. They've had 23 years to do the right thing-they chose not to.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I buy the sun purely for its football content. It has nothing to do with my IQ and would much rather read that than The Guardian or Mail. The Sun is and always has been the best paper for football news. match reports and information.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Haven't bought that rubbish since 1989. It wasn't JUST because of the Hillsborough story, but that was the tipping point for me.

I don't really see why you would buy it, when there is such a wide choice of newspapers, why pick the one which is full of sensationalist nonsense, and flagrant disregard for facts
I never have. Why did you use to buy it?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I never have. Why did you use to buy it?

Probably haven't bought it since my early teens, as my first introduction to a "newspaper" rather than buying comics. It seemed to be the smallest jump from one to the other. Then I grew up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here