Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will go in January?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lots of threads on who might be joining us when the transfer window opens but who will be leaving?

For me the most vulnerable are Cook, Calderon, Painter, Brezovan, Poke and Sparrow while I think we will be very fortunate to keep Jara Reyes. Hopefully Paynter won't be staying.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'm hoping Calderon and Sparrow will be nowhere near that list.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think calderon and painter are particularly vulnerable. The alternatives we have are Taricco who has retired three at least three times, and probably is not fit enough to play 90 minutes week in week out. Vincelot, who is a decent alternative for injuries and suspensions, but has too many weaknesses to be a permanent left back, and I've not seen him on the right. Reyes, who is not ours and everyone seems to want to play in the middle, or el abd, who is more comfortable at centre back.

Painter doesn't have pace, but never has. He hasn't been totally embarrassed on a regular basis. Calderon seems to be doing ok, not as good as he has played, but he's been playing with a bad knee. They're not awful players, but conversely, they haven't been playing so well they are likely to be targeted by others.

We won't just get rid of people. They will only go if their contracts are up, or other people are interested in them.

The only way Painter and Calderon go is is if we get someone better in, even then we may hang on to them as back ups until the end of the season.

Cook has been at bournemouth and apparently doing well, so they may have interest, but there were rumours we wanted him back at the end of his first month, maybe we have plans for him. Brez and Poke, at least one is likely to go, the other will depend on if we bring someone else in. I think sparrow is one of those players that gus likes but fans don't.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dunky for loadsamoney
BarnDoor Billy ................... back to Leeeeeds
I think there maybe a bid for Nooney
Gus might suggest to some players it maybe in their interest to look for a new club in January and make themselves available for transfer , giving them a subtle hint their contract wont be renewed.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Lots of threads on who might be joining us when the transfer window opens but who will be leaving?

For me the most vulnerable are Cook, Calderon, Painter, Brezovan, Poke and Sparrow while I think we will be very fortunate to keep Jara Reyes. Hopefully Paynter won't be staying.

Cook will be going nowhere as he will come back to replace Dunk who will be off.Hopefully for Big Bucks. Agree both Brezovan and Poke could be off.Think Sparrow will be off to as I can't see him getting into the team again this season and expect Gus to strengthen in midfield so may see other midfielders sold or sent out on loan as well.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Hope I'm wrong but Dunk, Bridders & Buckley, no rumours just a guess

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Of the 2 keepers would imagine Brez be the one to get rid of but maybe a L2 club would want Poke as starter with potential for L1, think Brez is more a now and shown what he's got. Getting rid of either would be good business.

Cook should stay. I really like him for first team and would honestly dump Elphick making Cook 4th choice and with every chance to leapfrog AEA and start alongside Dunk for many years. Wish could play wing backs and have both of them plus the talismanic Greer in same side. 2 wing backs (type of wide 'defender' Gus likes) 2 in CM and 3 mobile forwards.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
We're not a selling club anymore. The only players going are those gus doesn't like.

People forget that poke was actually given an extension at the end of last season. Exactly what has he done to warrant being sold six moths on?

Dunk won't go. He's not an idiot. He'll stay with his childhood club where he's going to get games and where he can continue to refine himself as a footballer.

Cook is a great prospect and has been noticed as far back as three years ago. A player gus has turned to before, he won't go.

Sparrow is a class player with experience at this level. He definately won't go.

Bridders is too good to let go - and we don't have to.

Times have changed.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Be odd to see Calderon go considering he signed a one year extension in the summer (on top of the 2 years he already had left) - doesn't seem to be quite the asset they thought he might be, at this level. Still a worthy squad player.

It's a not a nice topic, but one we were going to have to discuss eventually. I think J. Smith is guaranteed to be off - was given a 6 month contract, aged 22 and has shown little sign of breaking into first team (hasn't even made the bench?) - unlikely to be kept on. Cook I'd like to think is still in Gus' plans, promising performance vs Liverpool, doing very well in L1 - still feel there's plenty of untapped potential there, could get a chance depending on what happens with Dunk.

Incoming bids.. Dunk, Bridcutt, Noone I think are most likely. Hard to tell how much truth was in all the speculation with Dunk earlier in the season, linked with Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea.. figures between £3-6m mentioned.. may be difficult to turn away IF they materialise. Bridcutt & Noone, I could possibly see a lower PL side (WBA, Fulham, Wolves) taking a punt on, hopefully not - we may be able to resist depending on our position come Jan/fees offered.

Other than that, I guess Paynter's loan will be up - back to Elland Road unless he turns it round drastically. Bergkamp offloaded? One of Poke/Brez released?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Lots of talk about Dunk going. Hopefully Gus and Tony use their common sense and include a loan back to us for the rest of the season if he does leave. The lad has done well to draw the attention he has, but this is his first season of regularly starting in the Championship. We've seen a few young players get a big offer, move to a big club. They then dont get first team football and stagnate (Virgo is a case in point.) He would benefit from playing for the rest of the season with us rather than sitting in the Premier League stiffs.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
no one from the main players will go. We building a squad capable of staying in this league and pushing on, Gus and Tony are hardly going to get rid of players like Dunk, Calderon, Bridcut, painter and Sparow just yet.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
I think the likes of smith, bergkamp, brezovan and paynter will be off. Can't see anyone coming in for Nooney he's been disappointing as of late, plus his final ball and decision making isn't even good enough for champ level for most of the time.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
COOK!!!! You're joking right? That boy is class and being lined up for if/when Dunk goes. The only way Cook will leave is on loan again.

I think you can end this thread now, as I dont see anyone going. I think the only addition will be Reyes on a permentant deal, and maybe a central midfielder. Poyet aint one for playing around with his sqaud in January, so can't see anyone going, unless its bait to get someone else, and I just cant see that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here