University ?

• Yes I went.

Votes: 75 74.3%
  • No Load of Shit, Shit for Brains etc etc

Votes: 26 25.7%

• Total voters

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Three years among the carrot-crunchers in Norwich, with a year teaching in France (a godforsaken one-'cheval' town called Thiers). And a one-year postgrad in Sheffield. Proper universities? I should say so.

I was listening to Radio Five Live yesterday and they were saying a lot of students are these days considering declaring themselves bankrupt on leaving, clearing all their debt, and starting afresh. Sounds a bit easy...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
BA in Politics and History from the "proper" University of East Anglia in Norwich (not to be confused with the media studies/sports science/cooking epicentre that is Anglia Polytechnic University).

Sounds swotty but I loved the reading, the subject, the dirty birds. But almost as important was the extra-curricular writing that I did for the uni mag - I wouldn't have the same job now if I hadn't done that.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
i went to Holloway (Uni. Of London and not the womens prison.)
Studied Geology for three years, got to try killing myself up volcanoes and was sent on paid trips abroad twice a year for three years.
Spent fuckloads of money on drink and played three years of entertaining and very competitive football!

Have i used my degree? have i F*ck!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
BA(Hons) in Business Studies from the School of Mines (aka the University of Glamorgan). Not quite sure how that particular degree helps me break software for a living, but I had a great druken time in the Valleys!!

:drink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
munster monch said:
Not me, didn't stop me though from having a succesful job and business in the accountancy profession.

It was being crap at maths that did that

I can vouch for that...a very good young permed hair accountant young monster munch was indeed

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Deano's Right Foot said:
I spent my sixth form playing cards and going down the bookies. so I failed my A levels and didn't go to university. However I have done a couple of Open University modules on the way to a degree (which I may get when I'm 106). As part of the OU course (War, Peace and Social Change - Europe 1900-1995) I went to a summer school in York for a week where the sex was superb.

the only sex going at the Summer School at bath I went to ( not that I was at all interested anyway:angel: ) was in the next room, to me where a raving nympho was determined to sample everyone with a pulse and scream at the top of her voice whilst she was doing it!

After the first night, I took very heavily to the bottle in an effort to be comotose so at least I got some sleep:drink: :drink: :drink:

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
I went to an associate college of Surrey uni. Had a great time, learnt loads and put my degree to good use.
I would recommend Uni to anyone, but choosing the right place and course is soooo important. My first choice in London was awful and I almost gave up on the idea of higher ed, but am so glad i went back the following year.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
I didnt go, but got two diplomas. i have a successful well paid job in insurance. i am also studying insurance qualifications which will be degree level anyway. sometimes its hard cos i dont think a degree is everything. alot of employers want experience of working not just learning. some students expect to come out of uni and automatically qualify for a huge salary and it just doesnt work like that.

also some of the degrees about now are a joke

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Got a degree in Mathematics from University of Southampton, now I'm still here doing my masters. .

Then out into the real world to repay the loan I had to settle for because the Government can't afford to give grants to everyone - like the "Degree in Film Studies" students. Like Turkey.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Tooting Gull said:
I was listening to Radio Five Live yesterday and they were saying a lot of students are these days considering declaring themselves bankrupt on leaving, clearing all their debt, and starting afresh. Sounds a bit easy...

Now that sounds like a good idea!

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Lord Bracknell said:
I came to Sussex (from Birmingham) when I was 18. Spent bloody years at University. BA in Social Anthropology, MA in Linguistics & Anthropology, DPhil (unfinished, although the notes are still in the loft). Eventually a career in local government, as a transport planner.

Wilts in "as-qualified-as-LB" shocker :ohmy: ;) (officially)

BA Management Studies from University of Nottingham
MSc Accounting and Finance from University of Southampton
Currently undertaking Chartered Accountancy - CIMA, furthering MSc degree and undertaking PhD/MBA studies concurrently (accounting papers and journals hopefully).

Living the debt from being the first year of tuition fees, no grants. £20k and counting (downwards obviously!)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Hilton said:
In my first year of studying Meteorology at Reading. Very interesting, but getting really really hard now. 8 hour assessment set every Monday to be done within 24 hours, 5 hour practical on Tuesdays, 10 hours of Maths work a week, and 25 hours of lectures.

Needed 2 A's and a B in maths and physics at A-level.:yawn:

Didn't think the first year was meant to be like this :(
Ah but Reading is a proper 'proper' university. I went there in the 80s to study Cybernetics but soon changed to Computer Science which was easier and led to a more lucrative career. The town may be a dump but I had 3 very enjoyable years there. Has it been cold enough for the lake to freeze this year?

Bob the Seagull

Jun 3, 2004
BSc (Hons) Microbiology at University of Bristol
MSc Crop Protection at University of Bath
PhD Plant Pathology back at University of Bristol, followed by a 2 year postdoc.

All very useful, I'm now a systems analyst. Still in Bristol though - it's a great place and not too far from the sea.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Tooting Gull said:

But will they be docked 10 points?

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Diploma in Nursing studies at Canterbry Christ Church College 94 to 97 after completing a access course, following redundancy.

The best things from it? I gained a life and it allowed me to come to Brighton.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Eng Lang at Sussex, currently hovering between a 2:1 and a 1st at the moment, and thoroughly enjoying working on my dissertation ... :nono:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Gully said:
University of Life.

:clap2: likewise . . . .I think universtiy is very over rated these days, most people go to appease their parents, avoid working for a living and delay the reality of adulthood

no offence meant to those who actually go to learn something worthwhile, but your in a minority these days.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
zefarelly said:
:clap2: likewise . . . .I think universtiy is very over rated these days, most people go to appease their parents, avoid working for a living and delay the reality of adulthood

no offence meant to those who actually go to learn something worthwhile, but your in a minority these days.

from my experience that's about right. I went a studied because I needed the degrees for my work rather than having a good time, it was a bastard. Did I enjoy Uni ... not bad but not brilliant, however if I had studied Business instead of Engineering it would have been the dogs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here