• Yes I went.

Votes: 75 74.3%
  • No Load of Shit, Shit for Brains etc etc

Votes: 26 25.7%

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I went to a proper Polytechnic for a year, prior to going to Manchester University.

East London Poly - those were the days. Lectures cancelled for a day in protest at the first Gulf War.

We watched TV for the first week, then cut up pictures of Thatcher the next.

Lectures in homoeroticism in 17th Century Art although I wasn't studying art or homoeroticism.

A proper education.

The pre-requitisites for the course were, er.. turn up.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I have a Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting and Law Major) from the University of Wollongong.

Sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but I believe the majority of University students are wasting their time and their parents money not to mention the state of their lives, and society by going to university these days to get a degree in waste of timeness....

harsh but for a majority true I believe...

Dr Breakfast

Feb 13, 2005
Sussex innit
You're not wrong tedebear, and the standard of higher education in this country is drastically lower than it once was.

A lot of these former polytechnics are now full scale universities who'll let anyone in just for the money. I should know as after I balls'd up my A-levels rather than resit them I simply went to uni in Winchester because their entry standards were practically non-existant.

But I genuinely could not believe the standard of education for some of my colleagues. People were working towards a proper degree who couldn't even spell and had no interest in reading whatsoever. And these people got their degrees, and I can tell you many of them were thick as pigshit.

The whole system is a joke now. I'm all for everyone having access to education but everyone attaining a degree just devalues them overall and I feel sorry for people who have worked solidly for 3 years to get a qualification only to find others have pissed their way through a BA, and they both end up with the same letters after their name.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nottingham Trent University to do BA(hons) Business Studies. It shit course at a shit poly, the biggest mistake in my life. :nono:

I still regret not working harder and doing a Computer Studies French/Spanish joint honours degree at Aston, my university of choice at the time.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dr Breakfast said:

The whole system is a joke now. I'm all for everyone having access to education but everyone attaining a degree just devalues them overall and I feel sorry for people who have worked solidly for 3 years to get a qualification only to find others have pissed their way through a BA, and they both end up with the same letters after their name.

yes well written!! - exactly my thoughts!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Richie Morris said:
I went to the University of Hull.

Loved every minute of it but a complete waste of time as far as learning was concerned as I only attended about 20 hours of lectures in four years.

Worth going though.

So basically what you are saying is, you got a chance to acheive a higher education that most of the population would kill for and havent the faintest chance of achieving and you chose that time, not to spend it bettering yourself, you chose to attend only 20 hours lectures in four years?

On the one hand I could say that you are a sponging git who abuses the goodwill of the taxpayer who subsidises you to have a good time at their expense, on the other hand I could say fair play to you for taking advantage of a system that allowed you to do that.

As I never got the chance to go to Uni ( grades not good enough at A level) I actually have been doing an OU degree ( although I have stalled at the moment having bugger all time to do it due to work). So I am a pretend student really

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
clapham_gull said:
Manchester University about 12 years ago. Utter waste of time academically, but a good laugh (back in the days of proper grants)

You only get the proper experience if you live at least a year out of halls in a proper right old grim student house.

I was up there at the time of that early reality show with the university students ? Remember that ? The girl called "spider" ?

Was it called "the house" ?

I'm fairly sure the programme you are on about was called 'The Living Soap'. I went to Salford University btw and during my final year lived in a proper grim student house that smelt constantly of curry, kebabs and farts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I studied philosophy at Bradford ('proper') University - with advanced curry studies as an option. And I did my journalism diploma at the London College of Printing.

Bradford and Elephant & Castle; I certainly didn't choose places for their ambience.:)

D

Deleted User X18H

Kings College Oxford ............reading Ancient English Lit and the Hebrew Antholigies.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BEng(Hons) Engineering from Cov Uni (really a poly) and MBA from Brighton.
Mind you still thick as pig $hit :dunce:

Engineering degree was a nightmare, hard as hell, the MBA was a piece of pi$$.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I spent my sixth form playing cards and going down the bookies. so I failed my A levels and didn't go to university. However I have done a couple of Open University modules on the way to a degree (which I may get when I'm 106). As part of the OU course (War, Peace and Social Change - Europe 1900-1995) I went to a summer school in York for a week where the sex was superb.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I did 4 years at Dundee (proper) University - got a 2:1 in Modern History & European Studies, I passed my civil service exams and...they put me in the Home Office.

:(

Am now pleased to say I work in the real work in the private sector doing something more useful than writing to police forces about Key Performance Indicators...

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Policy Studies, University of North London, dropped out after 1 year, although my CV claims I finished with a very respectable 2:1

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Not me, didn't stop me though from having a succesful job and business in the accountancy profession.

It was being crap at maths that did that

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I'm at Exeter in the third and final year of my Politics degree.

Did any of you who went to Chi spend your nights as a student at Sheiks in Bognor?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here