Votes: 26 25.7%

• Total voters

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
roz said:
Yes, it is traditional to get as far away from home as possible! One of the best possible reasons to go to Uni many of us would say!

Don't need to travel that far.. Chi was ideal, far enough to justify living in a student house but close enough for the odd Albion game and roast dinner.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
roz said:
Yes, it is traditional to get as far away from home as possible! One of the best possible reasons to go to Uni many of us would say!

So I'm taking uni too seriously by seeing it as something to do to get a degree that qualifies me for 80K/year jobs, then? :lolol:

The course I'm doing is incredibly well respected mainly due to its dropout rate. Starts with 300 students, usually gets around 50-70 graduates... all of which are actually good programmers by the end of it.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
clapham_gull said:
Manchester University about 12 years ago. Utter waste of time academically, but a good laugh (back in the days of proper grants)

You only get the proper experience if you live at least a year out of halls in a proper right old grim student house.

I was up there at the time of that early reality show with the university students ? Remember that ? The girl called "spider" ?

Was it called "the house" ?

Yes it was.

I was at Manchester from 89-92 and also worked in the Student Bars (Cellar, Academy and Hop & grape).

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm at Exeter in my first year of doing History at the moment. It's a lot of fun, more work than I expected too though.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Theatre of Trees said:
Yes it was.

I was at Manchester from 89-92 and also worked in the Student Bars (Cellar, Academy and Hop & grape).

Ever experience "the venue" on a friday night ?

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
MYOB said:
So I'm taking uni too seriously by seeing it as something to do to get a degree that qualifies me for 80K/year jobs, then? :lolol:

The course I'm doing is incredibly well respected mainly due to its dropout rate. Starts with 300 students, usually gets around 50-70 graduates... all of which are actually good programmers by the end of it.

yes obviously the main reason so many people go to uni is the end result and the prospect of a bigger better job with more money (im taking sports therapy so i can become a sports physiotherapist and work at a professional football club and be someone like malcolm stuart) BUT... its also a 3/4 year period to meet new people and drink and booze and f*** and do loads of crazy shit oo. My mates are first years at uni at the moment and the stories theyve got just from first years are crazy ... i personally cant wait. :clap2: :clap2:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Referee87 said:
yes obviously the main reason so many people go to uni is the end result and the prospect of a bigger better job with more money (im taking sports therapy so i can become a sports physiotherapist and work at a professional football club and be someone like malcolm stuart) BUT... its also a 3/4 year period to meet new people and drink and booze and f*** and do loads of crazy shit oo. My mates are first years at uni at the moment and the stories theyve got just from first years are crazy ... i personally cant wait. :clap2: :clap2:

Hrm, sounds like 4th year (optional year in secondary school before the first year of the LC) to me...*

Are there many jobs in sports physiotherapy? I've always seen it as one of those sectors where theres huge demand for college places, no demand for graduates - like pathology, for one...

*(4th year = 4 days a week, three hours a day, no uniform, FORCED to get a part time job, school teachs you how to drive, etc, etc, etc. Only done by kids whos parents are willing to pay for the year as the state won't fund it)

Last edited:

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
well i dunno .... malcolm stuarts gotta retire soon !!! :lolol:

no, failing that ... id take a teaching degree and tach science at colleges etc thats what ive always wanted to do. Sports physiotherapy is a sort of up and coming sector with more demand now that sports is becoming more affordable and more people enjoy doing it.

Dr Breakfast

Feb 13, 2005
Sussex innit
I went to uni in Winchester and studied Media and Film with American Studies.

Not the biggest place in the world but completely overrun with students so during term time the city was a great place to be for drinking, drug-taking and casual sex.

Ah happy days

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
MYOB said:

Well you do need to get things into some sort of perspective! So no, you wouldn't want to travel the length of the country to prove a point if all you ended up with was a crap degree from a crap university.

But my lad, for example, is on a very respected degree course at university in London. There's also very good courses in his subject down here and if he hadn't lived in Sussex he'd have been tempted to go to Uni in Brighton. But he wanted to spend his student years living away from home so he chose London. Easy enough to get to matches and near enough to make raids on my wallet and drinks cupboard.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I went to the University of Hull.

Loved every minute of it but a complete waste of time as far as learning was concerned as I only attended about 20 hours of lectures in four years.

Worth going though.

Last edited:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I did Environmental Science at Plymouth. Now I am involved in Environmental Law

Referee87 said:
yes obviously the main reason so many people go to uni is the end result and the prospect of a bigger better job with more money
Eh? When did that daft idea start? Is it TRUE?

I came to Sussex (from Birmingham) when I was 18. Spent bloody years at University. BA in Social Anthropology, MA in Linguistics & Anthropology, DPhil (unfinished, although the notes are still in the loft). Eventually a career in local government, as a transport planner.

And, yes, the social anthropology degree proved to be incredibly relevant. But you'll have to take my word for that. I've only ever found two people in local government who could see the point of my degree. And they were both ex-anthropologists as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shouldn't this poll be "Who went to a PROPER university (not a pseudo-polytechnic)?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One that was called a university pre-1987, i.e. Portsmouth University = Portsmouth Polytechnic pre-1987...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Pavilionaire said:
One that was called a university pre-1987, i.e. Portsmouth University = Portsmouth Polytechnic pre-1987...

Right

Thats me sorted then... NIHE Ballymun became DCU in 1982 :lolol: :lolol:

It also somehow managed to move out of Ballymun (imagine Whitehawk, worse) into Glasnevin (posh) *without changing its campus location* some time around 1985....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here