Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here has seen the Albion at Selhurst

Have you been to Selhurst?

• Total voters

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I must have seen them all since 74/75.

Those big games in the 70's were something else with huge away support for each team. When you are away you tend to stick together more.

you couldn't help but have 'butterflies' when these games came around, not just for the rivalry on the pitch but mainly for the air on menace and the real chance that this would be the match when you'd get thumped or arrested but, being as lad of a certain age, you just had to be there.

Like others have said, I'm glad to have experinced that excitement but I'm also glad that the rivalry is not so fierce now. You can shout, swear and make gestures during the game but the chances of getting hit by a brick or getting into a real riot have, hopefully, gone.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I must have seen them all since 74/75.

Those big games in the 70's were something else with huge away support for each team. When you are away you tend to stick together more.

you couldn't help but have 'butterflies' when these games came around, not just for the rivalry on the pitch but mainly for the air on menace and the real chance that this would be the match when you'd get thumped or arrested but, being as lad of a certain age, you just had to be there.

Like others have said, I'm glad to have experinced that excitement but I'm also glad that the rivalry is not so fierce now. You can shout, swear and make gestures during the game but the chances of getting hit by a brick or getting into a real riot have, hopefully, gone.

You`d still still like to punch one of them though wouldn`t you ? :laugh: Go on admit it. All those years ago..... hard to forget.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Definitely been there twice, for the Gerry Ryan game and the one with five penalties...convinced that I have been there on another occasion but can't remember when it was.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
twice - 0-5 and 1-0

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Questions, you may well think that but I couldn't possibly comment.

A few years ago I had what should have been a proud moment of going to Selhurst with 2 of my lads & 3 nephews. It just would happen to be 'that' match.

Still, the following game, the 1-0 win, made up for it and, I think, was our best performance at Selhurst.

Jul 5, 2003
We were all absolutely fuming in the Kelvin Morton match but having seen highlights recently I have to say he was technically correct with every decision (yeah right!!). Pa_l_c_ (sorry my spell checker rejects the correct spelling!) were just much smarter than us at getting into the right position to attract the foul but we were, defensively, pretty clumsy on the day. Dodgiest decision was probably our pen. Just watched the highlights again to remind me. God, I hate Kelvin Morton with a vengeance!

Does anybody remember the pigeon incident in the roof of one of their stands. I think it was at the same game and was the cause of much amusement.

Oh, and that volkswagen beetle they used as a roller!!

Most vivid memory of an away game against them was at Stamford Bridge!! Really dodgy penalty decision and when they miss the ref (Ron Challis) ordered it to be retaken. Mullery ran onto the pitch waving a 10 bob note (or some other denomination) then gestures to their supporters. Entertainment in the pouring rain. Remember going up the previous week but when we arrived at Victoria Station there were notices up telling us the game had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch........and, boy, did Stamford Bridge used to get waterlogged!

Ahhh........those were the days!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions, you may well think that but I couldn't possibly comment.

A few years ago I had what should have been a proud moment of going to Selhurst with 2 of my lads & 3 nephews. It just would happen to be 'that' match.

Still, the following game, the 1-0 win, made up for it and, I think, was our best performance at Selhurst.

God what an horrid day. 2 of my young childen were nearly knocked over by some idiot from the Met forcing his horse through that crowd queuing to get on the station on the way home.
I have better memories of the 1-0 win in 74/75 though. Got in big trouble with my mum though as she had told me not to go.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I have been to a few

12/3/1977 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 28,803 Division 3
18/3/1978 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 26,305 Division 2
7/9/1978 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 33,685 Division 2
18/4/1981 Crystal Palace v Brighton & hove Albion 0-3 Division 1
26/12/1983 Crystal Palace v Brighton & hove Albion 0-2 Division 2
02/04/1985 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 8,025 Division 2
29/03/1986 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 9,124 Division 2
26/12/1986 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 2-0 10,365 Division 2
27/3/1989 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 14,384 Division 2
26/10/2002 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 5-0 21,796 Division 1
18/10/2005 Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 22,449 Champ

I remember standing in the White horse lane end in the early years. We got in for free in the 2nd 1978 game as we were getting crushed in the queue so they passed kids over the turnstyles (would like to see them try and do that now - i was only 10 at that time!). When Ryan broke his leg it turned very violent druring and after the match. I remember concrete being thrown between the fans down in the corner (by now we were in the other end as the White Horse Lane end had been knocked down for a Sainsburys!

1989 was an unreal match - most people I went with got arrested or thrown out the ground as Kelvin Morton had a mare. I remember seeing the highlights on Saint and Greavsie the following Saturday. Our penalty was probably the worst decision of all 5 of them!

The McShane winner was a sweet moment, our first win against them at Selhurst for over 20 years!

Palace will always be the first result I look out for - I want them to loose every week. I dont really care about any other teams. I will always see them as our rivals! I have been to 2 Charlton v Palace matches, yes they dont like each other but there is no real deep down rivary (it was great fun seeing Palace relegated at the Valley last game of the 2004-5 season!)

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I know it wasn`t at Selhurst but I remember the game when the rivalry really started in 74 or 75. It was the 1-0 game when Mellor scored before 26 k and Palace took the north stand before the game punching loads of young lads, the sort who would get in the ground early to get on a barrier or near the front. Strangely enough the Palace hard nuts spent most of the game huddling in a corner behind the police once Brighton had got together.

I have never forgotten how cowardly they behaved that day. Got there comeuppence outside as well.
that was 1st derby match and it was in 76! mellor scored right at the end!
we got there early and the scenes were unbelievable. i saw palace fans throwing bottles at an old man outside the ground before the game.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Sorry, it was the 1st match of the season, August, and it was 74/75 or just poss 75/76 but was def NOT 76/77.

Most of the interest came from the 2 managers, Clough & Allison, who were regular ITV pundits, but Clough left before the start of the season (so must have been 74/75) & the 'real' Peter taylor was our manager.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sorry, it was the 1st match of the season, August, and it was 74/75 or just poss 75/76 but was def NOT 76/77.

Most of the interest came from the 2 managers, Clough & Allison, who were regular ITV pundits, but Clough left before the start of the season (so must have been 74/75) & the 'real' Peter taylor was our manager.

Marlow, Binney, Mellor................ not bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here