Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the greatest player you ever saw live?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I would aslo put Ian Wright up there.I've always respected him as a footballer.

Yup, and I did see Gazza play for Spurs at Selhurst once. He was a showman, the last of the few that were.

Someone should get him adopted as a Chelsea Pensioner or something like that.:rolleyes:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Kenny Dalgliesh at Liverpool 1983/84 - ONly saw him twice (both against BHA) the man was a Gazelle, he just never stopped running. :clap:

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Zola. I went when he was at chelsea and they got beaten by an Israeli team in the uefa cup. He was still the best player on the pitch by a mile, though, and scored a cracking free kick. Met him and got his autograph after the game, too.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Zico
Socrates
Bobby Charlton (twilight of career!)
Ardiles
Brady
I would say Dalgleish - but when Liverpool played brighton off the park on their first visit in league one my abiding memory of him was him whining to the ref for most of the match - it got right up my nose!

For Brighton:
Peter Ward
Mark Lawrenson
Frank Worthington

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
It was the Graham Moseley testimonial, Spurs kindly obliged with Gazza, Lineker and co shortly before the 1990 World Cup.

How times have changed, I doubt Fabio would have let his 'stars' play in such a game prior to SA............

A 19 year old David James turned up from Watford with his boots on the night and Mose didn't have the heart to turn him away.

He's come a long way........

I remember throwing the ball to lineker. I was 8!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gazza.

Jamie_Seagull

Jun 22, 2010
Worthing
Well i'm only 17, so i would have to say either Bobby Z, or James Milner.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Someone should get him adopted as a Chelsea Pensioner or something like that.

Much as I admire the folk who become Chelsea Pensioners, there is one considerable draw-back that would put me off, being made to wear red (which I hate) and getting dragged along to games at Stamford Bridge...do you reckon they would let you go to Falmer if you behaved yourself?

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
A certain Matthew Paul Le Tissier springs to mind. On his day he could do what ever he wanted with a football. One of the most under-rated players the country has seen IMO.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
zidane.jpg

&

zolaDM2506_468x448.jpg

With Mentions to,

Raul
Carlos
Figo
Casillas
Desailly
Terry
Poyet
Babayaro

Not bad at the age of 16. :clap2:

Bizarrely I think the most EFFECTIVE player I ever saw was Lothar Matthaus of West Germany in the 1990 World Cup. He simply drove that team to the final.
2006-05-30__sports01.jpg

Certainly not the most skilful I ever saw but to captain the winning World Cup team is about as good as it is going to get

Last edited:

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Saw Zidane against England in Lisbon in that infamous game when he scored with a free-kick and then a penalty in the final two minutes of the game, but to be honest, he was totally anonymous prior to him stepping up to take the equalising free-kick. So he's probably the best player I've seen live, even though his overall performance wasn't that great that night.

On the other hand, Juan Roman Riquelme in his prime against Ivory Coast in the last World Cup was simply frightening - he always bought himself so much time, and was like the Xavi of the past couple of years in the sense that he was constantly three or four passes ahead of the opposition. He completely ran the game that night, absoutely brilliant.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Dennis Bergkamp & Thierry Henry in their heyday at Arsenal. Remember seeing Henry score four against Leeds.
And Michael Owen when he was still the best striker in England. Can remember him tearing Sol Campbell apart & scoring twice

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I was lucky enough to see, Bobby Charlton, Maradona, and many more, but has to be George Best, amazing skill and balance. hey that Peter Ward was not bad............Harty so upset you did not say me for my classy perfornaces for AFC George in the 80's when you graced the 3rd team in goal, think we called you the Cat in those days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here