Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the greatest player you ever saw live?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
zidane (Madrid v Barca)

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Player-wise - Zidane v England at Wembey in 1998

Performance-wise - Conceicao v Germany at Euro 2000 or Rooney v Croatia at Euro 2004

and not forgetting Booby Zee against Reading at a rain-soaked Withdean in 2002...

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Seeing Kenny Dalglish the first time Albion played Liverpool at the Goldstone in the old First Division. The whole Liverpool team gave us a footballing lesson but Dalglish's performance stood out for me in a team full of great players.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
thierry henry banging in a hat-trick at camp nou against valencia

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
pele being presented to teams at wembley game !! well no-one said he had to be playing :clap2:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Jimmy Greaves at White Hart Lane is a memory from the early 60's - my godfather, who was a Spurs director, took me along because he was concerned at my developing allegance to BHA.:smile:
Saw Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh and George Best playing for Fulham at Selhurst Park around 1977. Fulham murdered Palace 3-1 but Best was involved in an incident that resulted in Ian Evans breaking his leg.
Bobby Charlton playing for Preston NE at the Goldstone. By then he was a shadow of the player he once was and I spent most of the game thinking he should have retired years beforehand - very sad.
:bowdown:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
There seems to be a pattern developing here, the two players you named, plus Romario and Gazza...all seemed to bring out their best under the management of Sir Bobby. If we were to have a thread about the greatest manager of all time I would be very surprised if his name was anywhere other than right at the top.
It was, just the other day - loads of people named him.....

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Went to see a friendly between Glasgow Rangers and AC Milan a couple of years ago, Kaka was immense and got the biggest cheer of the evening as only that week he turned down Man City's millions. Ronaldinho was also superb and a very young Alexandre Pato tore Rangers to pieces. The game ended 2-2 but you felt Milan could have stepped up a gear any time they wanted.

Kaka gets the vote from me though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ruud Gullit for Chelsea at Maine Road. He was immense, all over the park, two passes ahead of the rest of his team, but ripped Citeh to pieces by himself with power, pace, grace and flair.

galebs

Jan 28, 2008
Bexhill
It was the Graham Moseley testimonial, Spurs kindly obliged with Gazza, Lineker and co shortly before the 1990 World Cup.

How times have changed, I doubt Fabio would have let his 'stars' play in such a game prior to SA............

A 19 year old David James turned up from Watford with his boots on the night and Mose didn't have the heart to turn him away.

He's come a long way........

Thats for sure it's defo not the man in the streets game anymore . Thanks Harty for the info never was really sure why he was in goal that night .

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Watching Zidane at Euro 2000 was the only time during a match I thought "this is something I'm going to tell the grandchildren about". Felt really privileged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here