Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do you want to be England manager?

Who do you want as the next England manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 119 34.2%
  • Lee Carsley

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 87 25.0%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Gary O'Neil

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Sean Dyche

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Emma Hayes

• Kieran McKenna

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steve Holland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
England have been saying for years that they wanted to bring players and coaches through the system, and with the players there's evidence that it's worked. Either they stick to their guns and appoint Carsley, or what's the point? It worked for Spain
Succession planning is all well and good . . . If someone's had some success, at the appropriate level. If you want to raise your game and everyone in the chain is league 1. . . .

levs

Jul 10, 2017
I get the point about patience, although with England it doesn't really matter until we get to a tournament. Most of our 'competitive games are qualifiers mainly against very poor opposition which we are always going to win and win comfortably. Yeah there is the 'nations league' which is basically friendly games rebranded as being competitive which doesn't carry much weight. Lets face it if GP gets the gig nearly all of his games will be very winnable and thus low pressure, the pressure only gets really ramped up once a tournament starts.
Let's not forget that we don't always qualify for major tournaments though, the pressure soon mounts up if you don't win a few qualifiers

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Let's not forget that we don't always qualify for major tournaments though, the pressure soon mounts up if you don't win a few qualifiers
Fair point although I think the last one we failed to qualify for was in 2008. Also with the Euros and WC expanded so much now I think it would be almost impossible not to qualify now for a tournament. Most of the qualifiers are complete mismatches hence why I think the new manager won't face too much pressure until we arrive at a tournament.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Fair point although I think the last one we failed to qualify for was in 2008. Also with the Euros and WC expanded so much now I think it would be almost impossible not to qualify now for a tournament. Most of the qualifiers are complete mismatches hence why I think the new manager won't face too much pressure until we arrive at a tournament.
You would expect us to qualify yes, but they expected that in 2008 as they did in all the other years we didn't qualify. Yes it's not happened for a while but there are examples of recent draws/losses to teams we would have expected to beat, such as Iceland and Hungary. Put a few of those results in the same qualifying campaign and you've potentially got pressure mounting early doors.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
You would expect us to qualify yes, but they expected that in 2008 as they did in all the other years we didn't qualify. Yes it's not happened for a while but there are examples of recent draws/losses to teams we would have expected to beat, such as Iceland and Hungary. Put a few of those results in the same qualifying campaign and you've potentially got pressure mounting early doors.
Agree re pressure mounting early doors if we don't results, but I can't see many bad results from the qualifiers as they are usually so easy to navigate. But yeah point taken that a draw at home to Poland (we always seem to get Poland) and a loss away to Slovenia would see pressure, but I think even if that was to happen he would ride the pressure and ultimately qualify.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Potter firmly putting himself in the frame, from BBC (but Sky Sports interview)

Former Chelsea and Brighton manager Graham Potter has been discussing his future amid links with the vacant England job.

Potter, 49, said that after taking a much-needed break following his sacking by Chelsea in April 2023, he is ready to return to a position when the right one for him becomes available.

"I spoke to lots of teams and lots of clubs but it was recognising that journey [he had been on as a coach] was a long journey, a tough journey. Unless the right opportunity came along I wasn't rushing to go back into football. It had to be right for me," Potter told Sky Sports News., external.

"I spoke to a few clubs but it wasn't the right thing. It was important I was patient and waited for the right opportunity and took the time with the family to reflect and think about what I wanted to do. Now I'm in that good place where I'm happy to be ready and looking forward to the next challenge.

"He added: "I feel really ready, really excited to be back when the right opportunity comes."

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He has had success though.
If that's how you gauge it, yes. It's been an improvement . . .a better failure than previous failures. less any form of style or entertainment.

like wearing a nylon suit, getting to work after an hour plus on a train, sweaty and saying its not creased is a win.

we have capable players.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Potter firmly putting himself in the frame, from BBC (but Sky Sports interview)

Former Chelsea and Brighton manager Graham Potter has been discussing his future amid links with the vacant England job.

Potter, 49, said that after taking a much-needed break following his sacking by Chelsea in April 2023, he is ready to return to a position when the right one for him becomes available.

"I spoke to lots of teams and lots of clubs but it was recognising that journey [he had been on as a coach] was a long journey, a tough journey. Unless the right opportunity came along I wasn't rushing to go back into football. It had to be right for me," Potter told Sky Sports News., external.

"I spoke to a few clubs but it wasn't the right thing. It was important I was patient and waited for the right opportunity and took the time with the family to reflect and think about what I wanted to do. Now I'm in that good place where I'm happy to be ready and looking forward to the next challenge.

"He added: "I feel really ready, really excited to be back when the right opportunity comes."
I read that . . .arrogant multi millionaire doesn't need a job, but might take one if it fits his ego.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Buy out McKenna and his massive Ipswich contract, you mean.

Jurgen Klopp is as likely to be the next England manager as Johan Cruijff or Sir Bobby Robson. I really don't see why people keep bringing him up.
Because he's very good. Doh!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
If anybody is thinking about applying themselves:

THE ROLE

• Lead and develop the England senior men's team to win a major tournament and be consistently ranked as one of the top teams in the world.
  • Provide inspiring leadership to a world class, multi-disciplinary technical team based at St. George's Park.
  • Develop and maintain strong relationships with clubs who employ English qualified players.

THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE

• Will hold a UEFA Pro License.
  • Will have significant experience of English football, with a strong track record delivering results in the Premier League and/or leading international competitions.
  • Will be an exceptional leader who understands and will enjoy the international football environment.
  • Will be experienced in successfully identifying, managing and developing English qualified players.
  • Will be highly resilient and comfortable in a very high-profile role with intense public scrutiny.
  • Will have a track record of creating a high performing, positive team culture and environment.
  • Will have strong personal values and integrity and understand and embrace the role that the England Men's Senior Team Head Coach has inspiring the nation.

OUR VALUES

• Aim HIGH
  • Achieve TOGETHER
  • Embrace DIFFERENCE

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Potter is expected to be unveiled as England manager - it was a done deal before the Euros - just a few things to sort out re: back room team - apparently he wants his own team - FA want Steve Holland involved - Potter doesn’t want to work with him.
Expecting Bruno to be involved as well Billy Reid -

Here we go 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I read that . . .arrogant multi millionaire doesn't need a job, but might take one if it fits his ego.
I read it as 'man who is in no hurry to get work is waiting to find a job that suits him'

Seems perfectly reasonable. Having money gives you choice but doesn't necessarily mean you are arrogant.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I read it as 'man who is in no hurry to get work is waiting to find a job that suits him'

Seems perfectly reasonable. Having money gives you choice but doesn't necessarily mean you are arrogant.
I read f*** YOU BOEHLY, whack £200k a week in my sky rocket until October. Oh, and I’ll spend some much-needed quality time with my wife & kids in beautiful Brighton. Oh, and by the way - you’re not fit to lace Bloom’s boots you stupid yank twat😂😂

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Potter for me. Although I won't be watching any press conferences loved him as our manager but couldn't stand him sucking through his teeth and the way he responds to questions.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
New manager is on a hiding to nothing. With England not being seeded in the World Cup qualifying draw, they could end up in a group with Spain, France or Germany etc plus a curve ball like Slovakia. This could be the once every 20 years taking of leave.

Still the wailing and The gnashing of teeth would be fun to watch.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
New manager is on a hiding to nothing. With England not being seeded in the World Cup qualifying draw, they could end up in a group with Spain, France or Germany etc plus a curve ball like Slovakia. This could be the once every 20 years taking of leave.

Really, not seeded?
After a semi final in the last World Cup and 2 final appearances in the last 2 euros?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Really, not seeded?
After a semi final in the last World Cup and 2 final appearances in the last 2 euros?
I dont think UEFA has decided which seeding critera they will use yet? Or did I miss recent news?

If UEFA go with seeding based on Nations League (as some believe will be the case), England indeed won't be seeded. But if they in the end decide to go the traditional route (and I think they will), it will be based on FIFA World Rankings and then England will be seeded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here