Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do YOU think are our biggest threat?

who's our biggest threat?

• Bournemouth

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • Southampton

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Huddersfeild

Votes: 49 27.1%
  • Peterborough

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Charlton

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Nobody to fear

Votes: 23 12.7%

• Total voters

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Right now the team that is consistantly getting results is B'Muff. Their game against SCC will be a huge factor in deciding who ends up where and that includes ourselves. However interseting that Yeovil play 'Udders at home on Saturday and then at St Mary's next week. By rights they should lose both games but nether of their opponents has shown any consistancy of late. Orent, as long as they can maintain their momentum can do us a lot of favours as can P'Boro who are also starting to get their act together. Right now teams at the bottom are starting to really fight and Yeovil showed that last night. Yes there's a long way to go but I am starting to think we can do this.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It is the beginning of March. Promotions are won late April/early May. Don't start planning open top bus parades just yet.

Well I keep looking at the table and I think it IS over. Somehow we're in a better position than we were before the MK game, and we looked almost untouchable then. We have a cushy fixture list so by the time we play those awkward "six pointers", it won't matter.

What does "cushy fixture list" mean? In the league nowadays there is practically no such thing as sides with nothing to play for, like existed in the past before playoffs. With many sides at risk to drop down, sides like Walsall beat sides like Southampton and Carlisle have enough interest to win 3-1 at Charlton. We are where we are, but lofty as that may be... how did we do vs Huddersfield, B'mouth, or even Hartlepool come to that?

Getting ideas above their station, taking an early lap of honour... is that exclusive to the likes of Cardiff, but not us?
I expect Gus Poyet and our players don't think anything is "cushy" about the season now. If they did, watch us slide (shockingly, amazingly) out of the top spot.
Naturally I prefer that doesn't happen, but it only won't if our lads realise; it is not over.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What does "cushy fixture list" mean? In the league nowadays there is practically no such thing as sides with nothing to play for, like existed in the past before playoffs. With many sides at risk to drop down, sides like Walsall beat sides like Southampton and Carlisle have enough interest to win 3-1 at Charlton. We are where we are, but lofty as that may be... how did we do vs Huddersfield, B'mouth, or even Hartlepool come to that?

Getting ideas above their station, taking an early lap of honour... is that exclusive to the likes of Cardiff, but not us?
I expect Gus Poyet and our players don't think anything is "cushy" about the season now. If they did, watch us slide (shockingly, amazingly) out of the top spot.
Naturally I prefer that doesn't happen, but it only won't if our lads realise; it is not over.
So what you're saying is that Albion had better not just turn up and expect to win.

Who knew?

All I'm saying is that if Gus prepares the team well enough, we should have too much for most teams in pretty much all of our upcoming fixtures. I'm sure we might slip up once, maybe even twice, but we'll probably win all the other games in March to maintain a comfortable lead at the top.

So what you're saying is that Albion had better not just turn up and expect to win.

Who knew?

All I'm saying is that if Gus prepares the team well enough, we should have too much for most teams in pretty much all of our upcoming fixtures. I'm sure we might slip up once, maybe even twice, but we'll probably win all the other games in March to maintain a comfortable lead at the top.

So your assessment that Gus has to prep the side is the revelation?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So your assessment that Gus has to prep the side is the revelation?
Nope. I can't be arsed to argue, I just happen to think we're near certainties to go up because Gus will prepare his players and we will win most games. :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NMH, I think Simster's point is he is so confident because he knows Gus will keep the players' feet on the ground, and will keep grinding out results even on off days, and that NO ONE at the club will be allowed to think "the title is ours". Simster wouldn't be so confident if the team were talking as he is.

Or I could be totally wrong...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It is now very definitely in our own hands whether we go up or not and even whether we win the title or not. We don't need to improve our form in any way whatsoever. If we keep averaging two points a game then we WILL go up, and we'll go up as Champions to boot.

There are now only seven teams in the league who can get 92 points or more. They are Bournemouth(97pts), Southampton(97), Huddersfield(95), Peterborough(95), Rochdale(93) and Charlton and Leyton Orient(both 92). None of them are going to actually get there so all we need to do is keep doing what we've been doing all season. I think 8 more wins, or the equivalent of, will see us promoted, possibly as champions. Nine wins, or the equivalent of, should be plenty to see us up as champs. Seen like that, then the only threat to our hopes is us.

However, those that can realistically catch us are Bournemouth, Southampton, Huddersfield and Peterborough. I rank them in terms of thrat in the following order:

1)People keep writing Bournemouth off, but they've been right up there all season and after us have been the most consistent team in the league. Plus they have the experience of a successful promotion campaign from last season.The only question mark about them is with the loss of several key players over the season how much strength in depth have they been left with?

2)The next most consistent team has been Huddersfield. They look well placed to take advantage of any slip ups that bournemouth may have.

3)In theory at least, Saints should be serious contenders but... Everytime they get themselves into a dangerous position form which to mount a serious challenge they blow it. Last night being a prime example. If we beat Carlisle and they get anything other than a win against Colchester then we can put their challenge to bed. 12/13 points with 14 games eft would be too much to realistically overhaul.(Unless we implode spectacularly, obviously. But if we do implode then this whole thread becomes redundant).

4)Peterborough seem to be finding some form at the right time and they have a team that scores freely. If they can sort out their defense they could be a real threat. I'm not sure they will consistently sort their defence though.

Ultimately though, as said, it's in our hands. Keep averaging two points a game and we're going up as champions. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind about that. The question is: are we going to?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Walsall are going like a train at the moment, it's a good job they got off to a horrific start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here