• the fans

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • none of the above

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
As so many of us on here have said this season is not the worst in quailty we have seen from an albion team but the worst feeling after the pre-season hype.So who do you think is at fault.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I blame, in no particular order...

Dick Knight; for sacking an up and coming manager who had guided us to 7th with an average team. Replacing him with an Albion 'legend' to try and bring back the fans, even though his managerial record is largely shite.

Micky Adams; for being utterly clueless tactically. Constantly playing people out of position, and replacing our squad that finished 7th with endless loan signings.

The Players; for falling apart at the seams to many times this season. We've needed players to dig deep when going a goal or two down and they have rarely done that. Their effort has to be questioned on numerous occassions this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Dick Knight; for sacking an up and coming manager who had guided us to 7th with an average team. Replacing him with an Albion 'legend' to try and bring back the fans, even though his managerial record is largely shite.

Micky Adams; for being utterly clueless tactically. Constantly playing people out of position, and replacing our squad that finished 7th with endless loan signings.

The Players; for falling apart at the seams to many times this season. We've needed players to dig deep when going a goal or two down and they have rarely done that. Their effort has to be questioned on numerous occassions this season.

Alll those points are worthy of consideration for the reason for our poor season but I feel that the ultimate failure was the boards timing and indesicion over MA. They forced the issue after the Luton game having allowed him to spend money on players that another manager may not have signed. They should have either stuck with their principals and ideas and let him see the season out with the players he had signed or more essentially forced the issue before the January window, when the writing was on the wall and thus given another man the opportunity to save us from relegation.

Last edited:

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford

yeh i completely agree with all of that.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Alll those points are worthy of consideration for the reason for our poor season but I feel that the ultimate failure was the boards timing and indesicion over MA. They forced the issue after the Luton game having allowed him to spend money on players that another manager may not have signed. They should have either stuck with their principals and ideas and let him see the season out with the players he had signed or more essentially forced the issue before the January window, when the writing was on the wall and thus given another man the opportunity to save us from relegation.

Very good point, well made.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We still don't know all the reasons for Dean Wilkins' dismissal but I think that DK and the board got that wrong as was the appointment of Micky Adams who by his track record with the clubs he'd been with since he left, was a spent force. However, it still should be remembered that this club is hemorrhaging money and we are quite fortunate to have them funding us unlike say, Stockport.

Micky Adams, looking like somebody who was looking for one last pay day. Was allowed to stay too long when it was clear to all but the board that the rot had set in.

The players, whether this was lack of management or lack on interest is a moot point.

Dean White and Bob Booker. Booker was MA's idea and not one that impressed me but Dean White never has and frankly I don't think either should still be here.

The fans ? No, we pay and we support and yes we have a right to complain in an objective manner although a lot of the vitriol of some people has been pointless and inaccurate.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I blame Mcghee

I couldn't agree more...

...taking of McGhee, did any one hear the 'Russell Slade... drinking pints of scrumpy' chant at Walsall? I had a little chuckle at that, I did.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
As for most companies the people at the top carry the can when things go wrong.
They have the power to change things when they are not right in a timely manner, as to not put the business at risk.

Well, the players have to take the can for not being good enough. However, they were last season, which means a lot of responsibility must devolve onto Mickey's head. And in that case, Dick & the board must take the responsibility for giving him the job. Which apparently was because the players didn't like Dean, even though he clearly had them playing well. So it's back to the players.

See? It's all linked, and no one person (or particular group) can be solely blamed.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well, the players have to take the can for not being good enough. However, they were last season, which means a lot of responsibility must devolve onto Mickey's head. And in that case, Dick & the board must take the responsibility for giving him the job. Which apparently was because the players didn't like Dean, even though he clearly had them playing well. So it's back to the players.

See? It's all linked, and no one person (or particular group) can be solely blamed.

I think the board are also at fault for not acting in a timely manner to get rid of Adams. They left that far too late for us to recover in my opinion.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Adams has to take some of the blame simply because it was his job to get the players playing well but the MAJORITY of the blame lands with the players because im 100% sure Adams didnt tell them to play like shit and not be bothered! We have good enough players to keep us up but you have to question the commitment of the squad especially as alot of them are out of contract in the summer or going back to their clubs

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Knight.

Whatever the reasons behind getting rid of Wilkins are neither here nor there.

He was not to know Adams was going to be so shit. However, he SHOULD have admitted his mistake sooner and got rid. Had we changed manager at Christmas and given a new guy time to bring in his own players and mould the team we WOULD be safe.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Combination of Adams and the players really. To blame 'Adams 100%' is ridiculous, when you think how many of the players haven't reached anywhere near last seasons form.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I couldn't agree more...

...taking of McGhee, did any one hear the 'Russell Slade... drinking pints of scrumpy' chant at Walsall? I had a little chuckle at that, I did.

Probably the highlight of the evening (which says it all).

I blame Micky 'the players need a cuddle' Adams. This is football players we are talking about not some bunch of Marketing tossers. Listnening to Adams was like our HR department.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's never one single person to blame.

So in order of culpability:

Archer. Every time any of us go to Withdean, or the players run out there, or we lose money hand over fist by playing there, or people find somewhere better to go on a Saturday, it's still his fault. That is not dwelling on it, just stating an obvious fact.

Dick Knight. It was a big call to sack Wilkins and bring Adams back, and it is only fair he be judged on how it panned out. The jury's in, and it was a disaster.

Micky Adams. He just wasn't the same manager or personality. Very disappointing, and surprising.

The players. They have let large chunks of the season go by without waking up and smelling the coffee. Points at the start are every bit as valuable as points at the end (look at Hull - it may keep them up). Huge under-performance against some very mediocre teams.

The fans. The negativity around the place is incredible at the moment, and it'a not helping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here