Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which way round do you hold your cutlery?

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
This has always interested me. I put the fork in my right hand and the knife in my left, which I know is not the 'proper' way of doing things. But it just feels so unnatural to use them the way you're meant to. My theory is that if I am right-handed (which I am), my right hand is clearly my dominant/stronger hand. I then ask myself which of the implements in question require the most power, movement and accuracy. The answer is the fork, hence I use my right hand for it.

I also do this, but i am left handed in most things, cricket, golf, but i write right handed, i am left footed for football, but feel stronger on my right side, maybe i am just weird

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm right handed but my left hand is basically a spaz-hand and I've not got enough co-ordination in it to control a fork properly, all it can do is saw back and forth.

For that reason I'm an oik and use cutlery the wrong way round

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Me and the missus eat cack-handedly ( knife in left, fork in right).

To me it makes much sense, if you're eating pasta or curry or something that requires just a fork most people eat with the fork in their right hand, it seems odd to swap around when you introduce a knife.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This has always interested me. I put the fork in my right hand and the knife in my left, which I know is not the 'proper' way of doing things. But it just feels so unnatural to use them the way you're meant to. My theory is that if I am right-handed (which I am), my right hand is clearly my dominant/stronger hand. I then ask myself which of the implements in question require the most power, movement and accuracy. The answer is the fork, hence I use my right hand for it.
That sort of makes sense apart from the power bit. (Surely cutting requires power and accuracy?). I am left handed and use the fork in my left hand for accuracy .

I also use a spoon left handed . I can never understand how a right handed person uses a fork to put the food in their mouth with the left hand but switches to the right for a spoon

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I am left-handed for writing, but hold a knife and fork as a right-handed person would, i.e. fork in the left, knife in the right. HOWEVER, I use a spoon with my left hand - so when presented with a "posh" dessert (as my mother would) with both spoon and fork implements supplied, I can't cope, because I want to use the same hand for both.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm sure it's "correct" to have your fork in your left hand, but I've always been the other way round. Fork in my right, knife in my left, that's just how I roll. Seems more logical to me, as all the difficult stuff involves the fork, shirley. The knife just goes back and forth to cut stuff, so why would you use your less dextrous hand to do the trickier bits?

So, if you are eating something that only requires a fork, maybe a pudding, do you sit there just using your left hand?

Trolly Dolly

Aug 22, 2011
I have always done it the wrong way and my parents let me. As my friends are trying to bring their children up proper I try to make an effort in their company and eat proper myself but most food ends up in my lap!!!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My father insisted on correct table etiquette in our house, just in case we ever got invited to dinner with the Queen:

Fork in left hand, knife in right.
Spoon in right hand, fork in left for pudding.
The fork should NEVER be turned upside down, even when eating peas!
No elbows on table.
When resting, the cutlery should be placed on the plate, fork on the left, knife on the right and never, ever resting on the table.
When finished, the knife and fork should be placed neatly together on plate, with ends facing towards you or slightly to your left.
No slouching.
Napkins, if provided, should be placed on the lap, not tucked in like a bib.
Drinks glasses should always be placed above the knife (ie on the right).
Side plate on the left.
When multiple cutlery is provided, work from the outside in.

Not that we ever had any, but the other chestnut he imparted was that Port should always be passed to the left and should never touch the table.

Yes, he was a bit of a git (and an ex Royal Marines Sergeant Major!)

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'm right-handed but am constantly told that I eat left-handed, as I use the fork in my right hand. But for me, the fork must do much more work, it has to turn, stab, scoop, etc, so must be in your more dextrous hand.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Left handers are posessed by Satan himself, so said my elderly aunt................

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My father insisted on correct table etiquette in our house, just in case we ever got invited to dinner with the Queen:

Fork in left hand, knife in right.
Spoon in right hand, fork in left for pudding.
The fork should NEVER be turned upside down, even when eating peas!
No elbows on table.
When resting, the cutlery should be placed on the plate, fork on the left, knife on the right and never, ever resting on the table.
When finished, the knife and fork should be placed neatly together on plate, with ends facing towards you or slightly to your left.
No slouching.
Napkins, if provided, should be placed on the lap, not tucked in like a bib.
Drinks glasses should always be placed above the knife (ie on the right).
Side plate on the left.
When multiple cutlery is provided, work from the outside in.

Not that we ever had any, but the other chestnut he imparted was that Port should always be passed to the left and should never touch the table.

Yes, he was a bit of a git (and an ex Royal Marines Sergeant Major!)

No problem with any of that, we more or less had the same, but not strictly enforced. Elbows on the table a big no,no - and it still annoys me today when I see it in others.

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
And this. This may be the only time I agree with you though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here