Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which way round do you hold your cutlery?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
It doesn't really matter unless you're one of the posher type, it goes back to the oldie days when knives were hard to comeby for the poor folk and so that they were shared at meal time. You cut your meal, most people are r/h using a knive, then you would pass on the knive to the next person and use your fork, the rich had enough knives to go round.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
This has always interested me. I put the fork in my right hand and the knife in my left, which I know is not the 'proper' way of doing things. But it just feels so unnatural to use them the way you're meant to. My theory is that if I am right-handed (which I am), my right hand is clearly my dominant/stronger hand. I then ask myself which of the implements in question require the most power, movement and accuracy. The answer is the fork, hence I use my right hand for it.

Exactly

dexter

Apr 25, 2011
the simple folk from the area known as croyden when using cutlery (rare as you do not need for wholesome burger and kentucky meals ) tend to use the knife in the left hand , fork in right , other than when stabbing pensioners when they use the knife in the right hand

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm right handed and have fork in right hand and knife in left.

I haven't extended to eating, but I'm right handed but use a mouse with both hands. 75% with left. I sometimes alternative between hands to the bemusement of others.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm a leftie, fork in the left hand and knife in the right. I play pool and snooker left handed, but tennis right handed and I can't throw (Stones, darts, etc) with my left hand, so that has to be with the right aswell. I'm special.

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
I'm a leftie, fork in the left hand and knife in the right. I play pool and snooker left handed, but tennis right handed and I can't throw (Stones, darts, etc) with my left hand, so that has to be with the right aswell. I'm special.

I'm similar to this! I write, throw darts and play tennis right handed, but in all two-handed sports I play left-handed e.g batting in cricket (Stuart Broad and James Anderson are the same though :)). I also have my fork in the left and knife in the right though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here