Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which way round do you hold your cutlery?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Bit of a debate going on in my house tonight. I maintain that, when (generally) eating a meal, it's correct to have your fork in your left hand and your knife in your right. My wife says the opposite. Who's right? Is anyone right?

Of course, if you're from South London, you won't know what cutlery is, so don't feel pressured into answering

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It depends if you are right or left handed! For a right handed person the knife goes in the right hand. Americans usually have the knife in the right hand for cutting but usually then put the fork in the right hand for eating.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The clue is in the highway signs

restaurant_highway_sign_sticker-p217490129609912922z85xz_400.jpg

Although I'm surprised anyone needs to ask that! It's like asking which wrist your wristwatch should be on...

Which wrist should your wristwatch be on then?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Some people just leave the knife at the side of the plate and use the fork as a multi-purpose harpoon-come-ladle, lowering their face to a position about a foot above the plate so they can achieve an optimum consumption/elapsed time ratio.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Some people just leave the knife at the side of the plate and use the fork as a multi-purpose harpoon-come-ladle, lowering their face to a position about a foot above the plate so they can achieve an optimum consumption/elapsed time ratio.

Ah, do you mean a knork?

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
The answer is obviously fork in left and knife in right.
However if you were to ask a yank, in my experience they would say that they use the knife in the right hand with the fork in the left, and then put the fork in the right hand to pick up the food and insert it into the mouth, however they very rarley use any cuttlery anyway!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I remember being severely told off by my parents for:
Getting the fork and knife the wrong way round.
Turning the fork over and using it in a spoon like fashion. ( Unless swapping it into the right hand and leaving the knife out of it)
Licking the knife
Elbows on the table
Not resting cutlery on side of plate between mouthfulls
Talking with food in my mouth!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here