Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which regional rival do you dislike the most?

Most disliked regional rival (after the Nigels)?

• Total voters

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Where's the option for Gillingham?

That's a fair point, my local news caters for Gillingham, Charlton and Crawley. I still wouldn't put any of them near Pompey.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Southampton - take away the whiney she-bitch of a manager, the delusions of grandeur and two irritating ex-Albion players, and they are a regular club.

Portsmouth - perennial financial CHEATS, with a horrible ground, in a horrible town, full of horrible tatooed women sporting football shirts and facial hair.
This!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Traditionally, it's always been Pompey - but personally I have never particularly disliked them, mainly because back in the 80s I had a friend who was a Pompey fan and I used to occasionally go to Fratton Park when Brighton were away (never actually supported them you undestand, always wanted the away team to win, but went along for the crack). You had to admire their vocal support back in those days, which was superb.

But I have always detested Southampton, probably as much as Palace. This is mainly due to the fact that when I was growing up the regional TV coverage (particularly ITV - or TVS or whatever it was back then) was so unashamedly biased (live in London now, but it still is, I believe). So in the late 70s/early 80s we'd get 10-15 mins on Southampton, and an interview with Lawrie bloody McMenemy, and Brighton would be lumped in with Gillingham and Southend at the end. This was when we were actually above them in the league and getting much higher attendances! When they signed Keegan, the whole of their 6pm news show was dedicated to it. Half an hour. Ridiculous. If we'd signed him, it would probably have been given a 10-second mention at the end of their sports round-up.

If that wasn't bad enough, the 1978 stitch up was an absolute sickener for anyone who'd been among the 33,000 at the Goldstone. To see McENEMY and Burkinshaw walk out with their hands aloft as if Spurs had already won promotion was disgusting, as was the tepid 0-0 draw the two teams contrived to play out. Someone really should have investigated that.

And now we have Nigel 'can they keep up with us' Adkins'.... Nuff said.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Portsmouth........too many fans in the Chichester, Midhurst area.

I have never even had a slight dislike for Bournemouth. Nice club, what is there to dislike?

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Great thread - being the Bournemouth lurker on here, I obviously voted for the Stains, although i'm not particularly bothered about them that much - as we have historically never played them. But I found them really smug and joyless last year - very hard work, despite beating us three times too!!

No votes for us is par for the course, I have been in 442 magazine in and interview with a Gills, Carlisle and MK Dons fan regarding teams that don't have any rivals. But I think if this poll was run out in the early 70's we'd get a few more votes (my dad went to the boxing day match in 71 I think that was a bit tasty at the Goldstone!)

Now Reading. Real dislike for their arrogant fans who think they were always a big club and the bored Chelsea hooligans in their ranks. And the fact that they changed their nickname from the 'Biscuitmen' beacause the poor darlings couldn't stand a bit of mickey take!

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Where's the option for Gillingham?

This - all we get on our local sports news is "The Gills" and Andy "Bloody" Hessentaler or whatever the f*ck his name is "Hess" as they refer to him, send him and his bl**dy team to Spandau is what I say. I work with a couple of "Gills" fans, one is fine, the other only discovered them about 10 years ago and still thinks they are a much bigger club than us!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have never even had a slight dislike for Bournemouth. Nice club, what is there to dislike?
A lot of their fans really don't like us at all. I think we had a bit of history with Boscombe back in the 60s and 70s.

Interesting how Southampton seem to have overtaken Portsmouth as secondary twats. All through the 80s and 90s Portsmouth and Albion never got on (it got nasty at times while both clubs annoyingly played second fiddle to their proper rivals) and yet now 18 months of rubbing shoulders with Southampton and a large number of Albion dislikes them. But what makes this especially odd is that Soton and BHA got on quite well for years (1978 excepted) and we were even invited to play their last game at the Dell.

I can only presume it won't last if we separate divisions, much like Reading a decade ago. :shrug:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Plainly odd, but then that is a section of our support.

Pompey is always a horrid day out, dump, inbred islanders and a dump.

I think we will see when we play Pompey down here that they are the most hated. Similar to a Palace situation. Wonder if the police have learnt from it ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Plainly odd, but then that is a section of our support.

Pompey is always a horrid day out, dump, inbred islanders and a dump.

Agreed.

The fact that we won there this season means unless its a really important game (promotion/relegation) there is no need to go back there. In fact I WONT. Because its SHIT. EVERYTHING about Pompey is SHIT.

Even their fans were quiet and that f***ing bell was as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here