Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which regional rival do you dislike the most?

Most disliked regional rival (after the Nigels)?

• Total voters

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Only hate Palace, I don't really care a out Scumampton and Pompey.

Only look out for Palace result each week! Couldn't care less about the two Hampshire teams although always sweet to beat them simply to look at Fred Dinage bitter face!!

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Don`t like Pompey, couldn`t give a monkey about Southampton.
The `rivalry` with Saints only began a year or two ago and adds spice with Hammond and Harding so can understand why the younger fans would vote for Southampton.

But to me Pompey will always have horrible fans.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Occasional Bmth lurker here. If this poll had been taken in the early 70's I suspect that the vote would have been nearly 100% Bournemouth, even if you'd included Palace in the poll. If the poll had been taken in Bournemouth at the same time, Brighton would have had 100%.
Very true. I think because it's Bournemouth a lot of the younger fans find it incredible to think that we used to have a fierce rivalry with you, however the later Palace rivalry DID blow it away as at its height it was much more intense. That probably explains why it (the Palace rivalry) still echoes today whereas the Bournemouth one is long-forgotten.

I think people have to accept that rivals change! Apparently before the Palace thing really kicked off in the 70s, Millwall were our biggest enemy.
See above. I never remember Millwall being an enemy, if I had to pick another London club that we had a bit of a 'thing' with pre-Palace it would be Fulham. Agree with you about rivals changing over time though.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Pompey amuse me, Bournemouth and Reading leave me cold, Adkins (not Southampton) annoys me intensely - I HATE PALARSE!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I am ASTOUNDED that Saints are ahead of Pompey in the voting. Pompey have always been a proper rivalry, whereas Southampton werent even on the radar before last season.

Although saying that go back 10 years and Leyton Orient were classed as our main rival after Palace so things change quickly I guess.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'm in my mid 20's and growing up through the Withdean years I only Really disliked Swindon, Chesterfield and Reading becuase all three clubs throught they were better than us and we screwed them all over, the same goes for Southampton now, im sure this will fade too.

Palace are the only team i truely hate the rest is all a bit panto and has no real meaning to it IMO.

the Pompey hatred I can see why but the whole time I have supported Brighton we have played them a handful of times.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am ASTOUNDED that Saints are ahead of Pompey in the voting. Pompey have always been a proper rivalry, whereas Southampton werent even on the radar before last season.

Although saying that go back 10 years and Leyton Orient were classed as our main rival after Palace so things change quickly I guess.
I, like you, am in that late 30s early 40s age bracket.

Most Albion fans of that age will see Pompey as absolute scum, second only to Palace and not that far back. Anybody younger probably won't get it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Most Albion fans of that age will see Pompey as absolute scum, second only to Palace and not that far back. Anybody younger probably won't get it.

I'm the same age as you, as you well know.

My main thoughts of Pompey are of a plucky lower-league local-ish team from the early 80s. My recollection, which might be wrong, was that when we were enjoying the delights of Division 1, in old money, they were in Division 3 or thereabouts. They were no threat to us in any way, shape or form. As such, I never had any bad feelings towards them.

Since then, and through the money troubles, my view is they've been ridiculously unlucky in they've been owned by charlatan after charlatan. Most/all of those people now have nothing to do with the club. The one constant through that has been the fans, most of whom will be decent football-supporting types like you and I and powerless to have done anything beyond cross their fingers and hope the next new owner is a decent well-intentioned sort.

And before people throw back the old "they should have got more involved" shit - let's just remember that Tony Bloom has found money that no-one knew he had and that has built our dream for us. I have no reason to believe it will happen, but what if it was all a wing and a prayer and we'd bought into it all in blind faith?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Old timers will tell you that both Pompey and Southampton were rivals of ours long before Crystal Palace came on the scene. I can recall my father in the late 40's early 50's going absolutely mad that West Sussex folk had Pompey season tickets. Traitors the lot of them was his view.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Stop trying to cling on to your 30s Sim, it's in the past now and you're just going to have to deal with it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Never heard Millwall mentioned before. Before Palace, Pompey were enemy #1, but it's all a bit sad having an unrequited rival.
I think it's mentioned in Tim Carder's book somewhere, have heard it a couple of times. I'm not sure what era we're talking about tho!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
See above. I never remember Millwall being an enemy, if I had to pick another London club that we had a bit of a 'thing' with pre-Palace it would be Fulham. Agree with you about rivals changing over time though.
And in the late 90s, Orient.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

I am in the same age bracket as you and I cant remember a game with pompey that matched the level of aggro after the 0-2 cup defeat at the Goldstone against stains, that includes watching the Albion play pompey home and away at least 4 times.

I see you dodged my last post.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I find it bizarre how some your fans point to us as arrogant. We spent 27 consecutive years in the top flight, then got relegated which 4 years later in 2009 led to almost extinction and relegation to League 1, then we get taken over by billionaires who tell us there's a 5 year plan to be back in the prem. That plan appears to be going swimmingly and we're arrogant for believing we might actually be back where we were in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's within the next year or two.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I find it bizarre how some your fans point to us as arrogant. We spent 27 consecutive years in the top flight, then got relegated which 4 years later in 2009 led to almost extinction and relegation to League 1, then we get taken over by billionaires who tell us there's a 5 year plan to be back in the prem. That plan appears to be going swimmingly and we're arrogant for believing we might actually be back where we were in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's within the next year or two.

A lot of this might have something to do with Saints having fans like you! Just take a look at the posts you have made since you lost. Let yourself down badly this last week. Choosing to bleat bleat bleat "its not fair".

Feb 14, 2010
Palace are the only rival, but Pompey is a good one. Southwho? and as for the others, then Reading? How is Reading in the same region as Brighton? Brighton is closer to London that Reading or Bournmouth for that matter.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Orient? Swindon? Crawley?

I imagine they'd get some votes from some people :shrug:

Feb 14, 2010
Orient? Swindon? Crawley?

I imagine they'd get some votes from some people :shrug:

Crawley cant be rivals as those of us that have travelled up and down the country with the Albion will have seen the Crawley Seagulls flag and know Crawley is the start of Albion fans from North Sussex

Swindon? Oxford have a better shout

Orient. Yep interesting shout but I think that was just a bit of a laugh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here