Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Presenters/Commentators have stood out for you during the Olympics?....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was reading a profile on Balding yesterday, where some people say she is largely owned by the public now. Her partner, who i have to look up not being too aware of radio 4 newsreaders and their appearance, says she feels she has to give her up to all of us, her now being in our hands. Not sure that is quite true, but she is a decent presenter and knowledgeable in dialogue. They mention a few apologies she has had to make in the recent and distant past, whilst throwing in that really, even if insulting, she is speaking the minds of those watching at home, but i suppose someone fairly forthright and loquacious is a better-sounding analyst that the drearier yes-sir-no-sir troop who bore more than reveal.
Yes, i quite like her, in spite of the description in the piece of her being undoubtedly posh and lucky.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
She was less than complimentary about the swimmers, and had to apologise.

They mention a few apologies she has had to make in the recent and distant past, whilst throwing in that really, even if insulting, she is speaking the minds of those watching at home

I can't remember what she said, but it wasn't a bad as what we were saying at home!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Balding has been the best, well researched and enthusiastic. Humphreys has also been good, but I still don't like him!! Ian Thorpe has been really good, as has Cav and Boardman as pundits. Logan, Lineaker and Inverdale as expected really, nothing special.

Most annoying, Phil Jones, the interviewer for the athletics, ok a difficult job interviewing people as they come of the track, but pretty much as the same set of questions.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Gabby Logan - ok on the whole, but I could have punched her every time she did her arm dancey thing when playing "Gold" and moving the arrow up.

Denise Lewis - She's been there, and won the heptathlon herself, so should be the perfect person to give a view when Ennis won. Instead she just shook her head and said she couldn't describe in words what she was feeling. Well that's a shame as your a pundit, and that's exactly what you're being paid to do!

Michael Johnson I could listen to all day. I was somewhat surprised when BBC first got this giant of the track as a pundit, and continue to be surprised that they continue to do so.

And I agree with the "Look" thing that someone mentioned earlier about Thorpe, it's an Aussie thing, Shane Warne does the same, and Punter always does in interviews

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Given that Clare Balding has had such rave reviews generally for her work during the Olympics it will be interesting to see what the BBC do to keep her. Since the BBC gave up on horse racing it was thought she would head over to C4 to work on their racing coverage but maybe they will work a bit harder to keep her at Auntie now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The second guy is Chris Boardman, who I think was the best commentator of the entire games. Full of amazing cycling facts and anecdotes.
Headed up by Hugh Porter.

I wonder how many bikes CB has sold since mid July?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I gave up being pissed off at The Alan Partridge soundalike in Weymouth and just ended up chucking at his ridiculous jingoism.

Every f***ing sailing race, we'd be ahead after the first turn and he'd put on his best Partridge accent and proclaim "AND IF IT STAYS LIKE THIS THEN GREAT BRITAIN WILL TAKE THE GOLD MEDAL!"

20 minutes later, and we were usually in 8th position, just about holding onto bronze. :wanker:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Headed up by Hugh Porter.

I wonder how many bikes CB has sold since mid July?
Porter has been doing the cycling commentary for as long as I can remember. He must sometimes wonder whether the last 2 Olympics have just been one long dream after many barren years lit up only Boardman.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Porter has been doing the cycling commentary for as long as I can remember. He must sometimes wonder whether the last 2 Olympics have just been one long dream after many barren years lit up only Boardman.
Never forget the head mentals that is Graeme Obree, but yeah, t'is a good point.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hugh Porter only survived in the cycling because Boardman has kept baling him out.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Deffinately claire Balding at the top for me.

There has been a fw moments of the BBC coverage that have been very amusing for me. Last week during Gaby Logan's late night show she had John McNroe and some really old femal Russion/Ukranian ex-Gymnast on the sofa. It was car crash TV and at one point while GL was doing her best to get some sense out of her, she just turned to Mcnroe and started chatting about when they bumped into each other in an airport a few years ago.

Also the Ben Ainslie/Gary Linaker interview when BA asked if GL would still be with MoTD in 4 years time. Finally, did anybody see Jade Jones (she'd get it) getting interviewed by Linekar last night? He asked her if she was a naturally agressive person. She just replied "yes". Not what he was expecting to hear i dont think.

Anyone else got any funnies???

that really old female was Olga Korbut - the greatest ever gymnast in olympic history

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Jake Humphrey, Claire balding and gabby Logan have been excellent
As for pundits, I have been really impressed by Ian Thorpe, who comes across as knowledgeable, unbiased and eloquent.
Special mention goes to Barry Davies for a decent commentary on a sport he knows little about, and also for his determined effort to refer to our team as Great Britain, not the awful corporate label 'Team GB'

As for the bad, lineker is horribly awkward when talking about anything which isn't football, and there should be laws to prevent Alan Hansen from appearing on tv...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here