Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Presenters/Commentators have stood out for you during the Olympics?....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I enjoyed watching Cav 'grow' into the job.

He was proper pony the first couple of nights, but really got into the swing, by the end.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Deffinately claire Balding at the top for me.

There has been a fw moments of the BBC coverage that have been very amusing for me. Last week during Gaby Logan's late night show she had John McNroe and some really old femal Russion/Ukranian ex-Gymnast on the sofa. It was car crash TV and at one point while GL was doing her best to get some sense out of her, she just turned to Mcnroe and started chatting about when they bumped into each other in an airport a few years ago.

Also the Ben Ainslie/Gary Linaker interview when BA asked if GL would still be with MoTD in 4 years time. Finally, did anybody see Jade Jones (she'd get it) getting interviewed by Linekar last night? He asked her if she was a naturally agressive person. She just replied "yes". Not what he was expecting to hear i dont think.

Anyone else got any funnies???

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lineker absolutely excelled himself when he interviewed two of our medal winning gymnasts and introduced one of them, Max Whitlock, as "Max Hastings".

He didn't even notice until a few thousand Twitter followers pointed it out to him. Fortunately the gymnast kept his dignity and didn't say anything, which I thought was quite noble of him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Michael Johnson has to be one of the most articulate and insightful ex-sportsmen around.

Agreed, streets ahead of Lewis and Jackson who were very dull and slow witted in comparison. I thought Inverdale held the whole show together very well too.

Savage would get my award as the thickest and most irritating, still banging on about Beckham after the Mexicans had shocked the World :rolleyes:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thought all the presenters, bar Balding perhaps, were completely vacuous and tedious.

Pundits wise, Michael Johnson was outstanding in athletics, Jamie Staff and Chris Boardman were also class.

Commentary wise thought they were all pretty good, standouts Hugh Porter in the track cycling (not road) and John Amaechi on the basketball.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ritchie Woodall, whilst not an exciting voice, is very insightful. Like his boxing, underated.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
thank god for my VPN connection and the BBC's coverage on the web...

good:
Michael Johnson - eloquent, knows his stuff, slightly biased towards Team GB (when he's on the BBC at least) and just a likable guy.

Clare Balding - knew nothing of her before the games to be honest (except for the jokes). she's really quite good.

Steve Cram & Brendan Foster - classy as always.

Jake Humphreys - he has always annoyed me a little (he did the F1 stuff for the Beeb, right?) seemed like a pretty face without much knowledge so i was pleasantly surprised. Gary Lineker's replacement one day?

Gabby Logan - i've really enjoyed that Olympics Tonight show. a nice mix of classy BBC features and highlights and some good old fashioned cheap and cheerful British cheese. guests went on a bit but i thought Gabby held it together well.

ok:
Gary Lineker - yeah, he can be annoying but he's alright really. much better than squinty Sue, if you ask me.

bad:
Amir Kahn - i can't be the only one who thinks Ali G whenever he's on...

Boxing commentator - don't know his name but, if you watched the boxing, i mean the one who didn't describe a second of what was going on in the ring. all he did was talk about the life stories of the boxers and who they beat in the earlier rounds. quite obviously knew nothing about the technical side of the bouts and, as is often the case with people who are balgging it, he just would not shut up.

John Inverdale - the guy is a robot, a malfunctioning robot. have you seen the marvellous scenes inside the BBC box at the end of Farah's races? Denise Lewis and Colin Jackson going crazy, Michael Johnson joining in right at the end... and Inverdale slumped, motionless in his seat. maybe he was re-booting or something. and when, at the rowing, he was moved to tears after interviewing the British rowers all he could muster up was "um... yeah... emotions".

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
John Hunts commentary on Radio 5live for the dressage final was ,imo, one of the greatest commentaries i've ever heard...

Having no interest in the sport and just listening while driving home, his description on the horse and rider 'dancing' to the music of The Great Escape, Land of Hope and Glory etc was commentary as an art form...

Watched a replay on the telly later and pretty non-plussed so hats off to John for his efforts

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Ian Thorpe has come accross as an absolute top bloke. Balding and Foster were very good. I've liked Michael Johnson as well, no fuss and tells it like it is.

Linekar has once again proved that he's a complete twat.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Presenter has to be Clare Balding.

Pundit has to be Chris Boardman. He makes total sense in everything he says.

Good call.

I also thought the 2 guys doing the diving commentary were a great double-act & it was good to hear Bazzing Bazza Davies's dulcet tones over the Women's Hockey. The only presenter/interviewer I loathed was that arrogant pig Garry Richardson. :sick:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
All of them really......Michelle Hussein is my favourite as I think she is absolute class. I have so warmed to claire balding and the girl doing the sailing.

Jackson talks a hell of a lot of sense and michael johnson should be given the job as team gb supreme should the dutch guy give up.

All in all magnificent effort all round

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
John Inverdale - the guy is a robot, a malfunctioning robot. have you seen the marvellous scenes inside the BBC box at the end of Farah's races? Denise Lewis and Colin Jackson going crazy, Michael Johnson joining in right at the end... and Inverdale slumped, motionless in his seat. maybe he was re-booting or something. and when, at the rowing, he was moved to tears after interviewing the British rowers all he could muster up was "um... yeah... emotions".
In his defence after the 10,000, he said being the anchor he's the one finding out what the fook will be happening, on our screens in 30 seconds time.
I'm pretty sure we'd all have an opinion if after such moments the entire broadcast went to pot.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Surprised everyone thinks Claire Balding has been good because she has been great for many years especially Royal Ascot.
Barry Davies has for two centuries been a class act.
Matt Baker, modern day John Noakes.
Hugh Porter, you cant beat an excited and enthusiastic Brummie.
John Inverdale, creepy know all c***.
Lineker more wooden than my shed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
None of them have stood out for me. Likewise none have disappointed. I reckon that's exactly how it should be, like a good referee. You barely notice they are there, which means they are doing a fine job of keeping the focus on the athletes.
Top top work by the BBC, they've done the occasion proud :clap2:

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Who's the one who does the interviews after the athletics events? He's been brilliant.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Steve Cram, Chris Boardman, Jonathan Edwards and Claire Balding get my vote.

I really don't get the point of Hazel Irvine, so dour and monotone. Managed to turn exciting incidents into non events. God help us if she ever gets the gig on BBC Breakfast, most punters would switch off.

I like Des Lynam's critique of Lineker in one of the newpapers; asking 'where Lineker had gone? probably the BBC's most highly paid pundit yet relegated to being a link man'. Does rather highlight how good our Des used to be, all suave and sophisticated but good at the technical stuff too.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The thing I liked about Claire Balding is that she explained in an articulate way the sports she was
covering and knows very well "for the non-expert". That takes a lot of awareness and competence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here