Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which HORROR film...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Concerning The Ring (Japanese original) the other half and I sat through most of it, to the point where they'd gone to an island (think it was an island) where the video footage was shot (possibly) but both found it so utterly coma inducing that we switched it off, and have never bothered watching the end. Does something absolutely, stunningly horrifying happen in the last twenty minutes or so that make this film live up to the hype surrounding it? I'm all for brooding, not much happening, foreign cinema, but just found what I saw of this film completely dull.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Not the greatest horror film by any means but the one that gave me nightmares as a kid for sure - Asylum. Made for TV in 1972 this US piece of work f***ed me right up. I can still picture that head wrapped in brown paper with the bit over the mouth moving as it still breathes (in the 4th and last Segment "Mannikins Of Horror" with Herbert Lom). It also starred Brit Eklund in Segment 3 "Lucy Comes To Stay" and the incomparable Peter Cushing in Segment 2 "The Wierd Tailor".
Defintely my most scary viewing experience, ever, end of.
It was about this young psychiatrist who had to interview 4 inmates of an asylum to get the job.....
Why I was watching that at 8 years old god only knows.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Does anybody recognise this plot line from a play shown on tv - early 80s:

Car breaks down on a lonely road - man goes to house for help - invited in by nice middle class people who turn out not to be quite what you think - after shenanigans they kill him and return him to broken down car

A few weeks later the man's wife returns to the country house to thank the people for what they did [looking after her husband] - they invite her in - I think you can guess the rest . . . .

As for scariest films etc - gotta be the clown in 'Poltergeist' and the theatre production of 'Woman In Black'

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Definately the Exorcist for me.

Having watched loads of horror movies though, it is weird going into a place that is supposedly haunted. Our local Hotel here is and was featured on Ghost Hunters International a year or 2 ago and the conclusion was that yes, the hotel is haunted. Loads of people have seen the ghost and the most compelling stories are from those people who stay there who have no idea that the place is haunted. Her name is Charlotte and is pretty benign, although some people have felt as if something is pressing on their chests when they are asleep in one specific room. She supposedly commited suicide in the hotel in the 19th Century after being spurned by her lover.

With these things, however, you never believe them until you see them (well I dont anyway), but I still get a weird feeling everytime I go in there.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I've got a phobia about sharks, so had to stop watching an aussie film called the reef the other day.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dougal: Can I stay up tonight to watch the scary film?
Ted: Ah, no no no. The last time you stayed up to watch a scary film you ended up having to sleep in my bed. I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't even a scary film.
Dougal: Come on, Ted. A Volkswagen with a mind of its own. If that isn't scary, I don't know what is.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A Rank film Circus of Horrors gave me nighmares for years ( I saw it when I was about 8)

I have only really " jumped " twice in films...Alien where the alien burst out of John Hurt ( the Merlin Dragon) tummy and in Jaws where the decapitated head appeared in the sinking rowing boat when the diver looked inside the hole.

Apart from that, I am not really a horror film fan at all...

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The Thing at the age of 12. Nearly chucked up when the Dog burst open. Had to wait another 17 years before I could watch the whole thing :(

Car breaks down on a lonely road - man goes to house for help - invited in by nice middle class people who turn out not to be quite what you think - after shenanigans they kill him and return him to broken down car

A few weeks later the man's wife returns to the country house to thank the people for what they did [looking after her husband] - they invite her in - I think you can guess the rest . . . .

As for scariest films etc - gotta be the clown in 'Poltergeist' and the theatre production of 'Woman In Black'

I can't "guess the rest" - anything can happen in films!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For those of you who said ghost children give you the shivers (DON'T?) try The Orphanage (recent Spanish chiller).

I was rather spooked by the trailer for that film, but the film itself wasn't as scary, I thought.

Concerning The Ring (Japanese original) the other half and I sat through most of it, to the point where they'd gone to an island (think it was an island) where the video footage was shot (possibly) but both found it so utterly coma inducing that we switched it off, and have never bothered watching the end. Does something absolutely, stunningly horrifying happen in the last twenty minutes or so that make this film live up to the hype surrounding it? I'm all for brooding, not much happening, foreign cinema, but just found what I saw of this film completely dull.

I don't think so. For me, things that remind you you're watching a film (dramatic music, over the top special effects, etc) take away the terror. This film had very little music, the extent of the special effects were recording the girl moving back into the TV then playing it in reverse to give her climb out and walk an awkward feel. If you were bored by the atmosphere of the film then the ending isn't going to turn it around for you.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I'm doing some research, I'll let you know.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
The Thing at the age of 12. Nearly chucked up when the Dog burst open. Had to wait another 17 years before I could watch the whole thing :(

Agree with that. Still find it creeps me out even now (and I'm all grown up)!
I also watched the Bela Lugosi original Dracula film, called Nosferatu, a few years back, and that is REALLY scary!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Bridget Jones Diary ..... really freaked me out

couldn't sleep at all afterwards and the sequel Edge of Reason even more scary .... more so when I discovered that she hadn't used any make-up!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The Exorcist for me. Had nightmares for weeks after that, even the book scares the crap out of me.
And the Hammer house of Horror, one particular episode where there is a man hitchhiking in a yellow waterproof coat. :eek:

Exorcist for me too
is was apparently based on a true story about a Mexican kid only it was a boy and apparently using a girl was a bit more "box office"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here