Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which football team did you play for ??

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A great thread and very enjoyable.

But I cant help thinking that maybe the level of football attained by most on here is so very low, it makes you wonder how some can post such 'authorative opinions' on detailed football matters.

I accept that this is what makes football such an intriguing sport to follow and long may it continue, but is it not lost on some that actually there is no reason whatever that many of us could really have a clue at how teams should be picked and managed, and as for opinions on tactical play ...... well !!!

Absolute nonsense. There's absolutely no correlation between how well someone can read a game and understand tactics and how well he can play as a footballer. To wit - Ferguson, Wenger, Paisley, Shankley, Mourinho, Guy Roux, Sven, Graham Taylor, Clough and Taylor compared to Gullit, Bryan Robson, Gazza, Keegan, Hoddle.

If we take this analogy outside of football then all opinions outside of areas where we have had successful careers would be null and void.

Mind you...assuming you're not an ecclesiastical scholar, human rights or immigration lawyer does this mean that you won't be posting your opinions in future on muslims/capital punishment?

antpope

Jul 24, 2007
Portslade
The mighty adur athletic, played against Rhys Murphy a few times who now plays for arsenal and england youth teams, he played for worthing united if i remember right.

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Lewes Bridgeview from U10-U14 in the early 80's plus Lewes District Area side- then took life less seriously at Kingston Kestrals where the only game I remember winning was a friendly against Lewes Old Grammer School. Gave up football to play Hockey for a number of years then returned to Football in the Mid sussex league playing for chailey until we got thrown out of league.

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
The battle of Jarvis Brook circa 2005...its a long and bloody story I'd rather forget. Put me off being involved with that level of football for a long time.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I only played for 1 team, as I was crap, which was AYMER ATHLETIC. In fact, I was one of the commitee who formed the club as we were originally the reserve team for AYMER FC ( aymer road in Hove)

Sussex Sunday Football League division 12 and 11.

At the end of my career, I ended up in goal, for about 5 years and played in our heaviest defeat 15 - 1 to Ilex ( and I had a blinder or it could have been in the 20's)

I was only sent off once when I lumped the centre forward for Coldean Athletic( or something like that) when he elbowed me after I caught a ball in the area. Not a wise thing to do as the game ended up being abandoned with this huge free for all......Suffice it to say I always made my feeble excuses when that fixture came out!!!

Now top of the sussex sunday prem :thumbsup:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Played for Fishergate when 16 in Sussex Sunday Premier league.......then on Saturday played for Brighton Electricty.....then played for dorve phatleso in sunday league.....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Absolute nonsense. There's absolutely no correlation between how well someone can read a game and understand tactics and how well he can play as a footballer. To wit - Ferguson, Wenger, Paisley, Shankley, Mourinho, Guy Roux, Sven, Graham Taylor, Clough and Taylor compared to Gullit, Bryan Robson, Gazza, Keegan, Hoddle.

If we take this analogy outside of football then all opinions outside of areas where we have had successful careers would be null and void.

Mind you...assuming you're not an ecclesiastical scholar, human rights or immigration lawyer does this mean that you won't be posting your opinions in future on muslims/capital punishment?

Unfortuantely in life there are many many instances when it is crucial that you have relevant experience. Football is one.

To somehow validate our own football tactical knowledge based on our Bevendean Badgers Under 9's career is worthless.

The names you have mentioned might give comfort to your own deluded footballing credibility, but it is worthless.

All the names mentioned by you, have an earlier footballing experience far higher than anyone here, no doubt.

I was just observing that some of our own footballing experiences are extremely basic, yet sometimes we can act as if we are somehow experts on the finer details of the game.

I enjoy it and long may it continue, but this enjoyable thread did show to me that our views will always be dismissed by our more experienced peers.

Politics is a wholly different animal than the footballing comparison that you have offered.

I beleive that politics is rightly driven by our own personal opinion and do not think, as sadly you do, that political forum is the exclusive domain of Scholars and Lawyers :down:

Anyway Wilkins better play 4-4-2 tonight coz it worked for me for Bevendean Badgers 1979 Under 12's ;)

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
I was involved from around 1980 - 1984

I remember an epic cup final down at Greanleas in I think 1984, which of course 17th Hove won !!

Did you play in white shirts with a blue diagonal stripe across the front ?

That wasn't us, Possibly the 14th. I think we played in Green shirts from memory. Looks like you played before me so I will conceed that 17th ruled up to 1986 :laugh::laugh:

Scout Football league on Saturday afternoon was f'ing ace ! Don't think they get enough anymore to put togther any teams. We used to play every week at either Greenleas or Neville Rec.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Bevendean Barcelona
Bevendean Bulls

and not forgetting....

Bevendean Badgers!

It was a HOT BED of mini-minor league football

As a 13 year old I had ONE training session with Bev Badgers... and never got a call back! LOL!

As an 11 year old i spent two months training with Southwick and played in one game, and had ONE training session with Highlands Rovers, before THEY didn't call me back too! Gutted about the last one as i played bloody well during that session!

...the glamorous story of my football career!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here