Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which football team did you play for ??

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A great thread and very enjoyable.

But I cant help thinking that maybe the level of football attained by most on here is so very low, it makes you wonder how some can post such 'authorative opinions' on detailed football matters.

I accept that this is what makes football such an intriguing sport to follow and long may it continue, but is it not lost on some that actually there is no reason whatever that many of us could really have a clue at how teams should be picked and managed, and as for opinions on tactical play ...... well !!!

We may not have the footballing skills, but our selections, tactics and general management skills would be virtually unrivaled.:D

Albion Rob

Played for Hampden Park Rangers in Eastbourne.

Noted a lot of ex-Marle Place Wanderers here. I recall we played then in the county cup when we were about 12. We knew nothing about them so our manager got us down to the ground about 90 mins before kick off so we could have a proper warm up and be ready for our visitors.

We won 23-0.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
A great thread and very enjoyable.

But I cant help thinking that maybe the level of football attained by most on here is so very low, it makes you wonder how some can post such 'authorative opinions' on detailed football matters.

I accept that this is what makes football such an intriguing sport to follow and long may it continue, but is it not lost on some that actually there is no reason whatever that many of us could really have a clue at how teams should be picked and managed, and as for opinions on tactical play ...... well !!!

Hmm... I thought this was only about teams we played for as kids in the Brighton area.....

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Shaftesbury Boys Club, Birkenhead & was on the books at Tranmere until they realised I was shit on every occaision other than my trial.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Horsham YMCA for about 10 years.

Village football before and after that.

Stopped playing at 38, and have recently started village football again (at 46!)

For you guys who are still playing - IMO play as long as possible - you're a long time retired!

However, as much as you do in the gym, there's nothing like playing again to get the muscles aching again - when I strated playing again I couldn't walk properly again until about the Wednesday afterwards.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I only played for 1 team, as I was crap, which was AYMER ATHLETIC. In fact, I was one of the commitee who formed the club as we were originally the reserve team for AYMER FC ( aymer road in Hove)

Sussex Sunday Football League division 12 and 11.

At the end of my career, I ended up in goal, for about 5 years and played in our heaviest defeat 15 - 1 to Ilex ( and I had a blinder or it could have been in the 20's)

I was only sent off once when I lumped the centre forward for Coldean Athletic( or something like that) when he elbowed me after I caught a ball in the area. Not a wise thing to do as the game ended up being abandoned with this huge free for all......Suffice it to say I always made my feeble excuses when that fixture came out!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks/Haywards Heath LFC
Upper Beeding

Twice got battered by the Albion Ladies in county cup finals :lolol:

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Hollingbury - Hollingbury - Hollingbury Hawks clap clap

1977 - 1982
Don't remember us being very good unfortunately although we had some cool grey and red hooded warm-up tops. Playing up on the hill on a pitch that was 50% flint, 40% mud, 5% dog shit and a few blades of grass.

Patrick Keegan boots with the two orange stripes near the heel anyone?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
We now play at Bolney actually!:dunce:
And i thought you played for Hassocks anyway as you used to play with my brother.

yeah, was at hassocks youth for under 17 & 18 when we CLAIMED the county league title

now plying the trade at bishops cleeve despite the fact i am SHOCKINGLY unfit

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hmm... I thought this was only about teams we played for as kids in the Brighton area.....

Just an observation ............ I gotta feeling that most that have posted didnt go on to play any really Senior Football, not meaning to be 'snipey' just a simple observation that I think holds some truth ...... ;)

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
we had some cool grey and red hooded warm-up tops.

They were wicked - the Coombe Rovers ones were Blue & Red (palace colours FFS) with 'Coombe Rovers YFC' on the back. And bevendean barcelonas' were yellow & black. All made by a shop, i think, that used to be in Nevill Rd?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Just an observation ............ I gotta feeling that most that have posted didnt go on to play any really Senior Football, not meaning to be 'snipey' just a simple observation that I think holds some truth ...... ;)

You're probably right but thought there were some on here who had gone on to 'better things'.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
hollingbury hawks, then onto a team my step dad started called Fiveways fiorentina, one of our players uncle used to play for fiorentina and he wrote a letter to them and they sent us a full fiorentina kit over. We sent a picture of us in the kit back to them and I think it is still up in there museum.
In adult football played for AFC Angmering.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
You're probably right but thought there were some on here who had gone on to 'better things'.

In which case I should add that I have plkayed for three universities in Turkey and for the England team in the Warsaw League, player of the year once.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Played for the Albion supporters club in a summer tournament in Paris, about '86. beat Sampdoria but went out in the quarters to Ajax on penalties. Bennett Dean (photographer) was captain.

So I am one of a select bunch who can claim to have played for the Albion in Europe!

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here