Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which first team regular would you be happy to see replaced.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Severnside Gull .... Have almost identical thoughts on this.

Desparate for Bennett and Murray to stay. Would like 2 great new signings.

Also need cover or better for Calderon & Painter in case injured/suspended.
I'm happy with Navarro as cover for Bridcutt.
And perhaps another class right winger and/or pacey proven striker.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
f*** me, some of the views on this thread are absolutely frightening.

Ankergren ? Two L1 player of the month awards, a hand (or two) in the 2nd meanest defence in the division, and a VITAL cog in the style of play which Gus has imposed on this team. You think EVERY keeper is as comfortable receiving the ball at his feet and playing it round the back like a 5th outfield defender as Ankergren ? Just check out some other keepers in this division (and above) to see how they cope with the ball at their feet - if they don't hump it up the park, they're all over the shop. As for glaring errors, in 44 league games you've probably got about 3, tops. A very acceptable return.

El Abd ? Coming off the back of the season of his life, where he has blossomed under Gus into one of the best centrebacks in the division. Tough, uncompromising, terrific positional sense and anticipation, powerful in the air even against taller opponents, reliable, has cut out the errors, composed, comfortable bringing the ball out and adapting to our style of play. What more do you want FFS ?

Painter ? I have not the words. How ANYONE thinks this guy isn't up to the Championship is completely beyond me. He is consistency personified, never gets skinned, supports coming forward and oozes class week in, week out.

As for the notion that we must retain players based on their knowledge of the clubs history and playing at Withdean - bonkers. You would ACTUALLY rather see us relegated on that basis than see us push forward by strengthening and adding to what we have with a better class of player, because they haven't "slummed it" with us at the athletics track these last few years ??

Scary.

I am with you Easy, my jaw was falling open reading some of the bollocks in this thread. The current squad would beat at least half of the championship imo. With a few signings to strengthen certain positions, I think we will be fine.:nono:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I must admit to wanting to be like Arsenal

Ok, so they play some English players now. But if we were like them a few seasons ago without any Englishmen or even Brits in our team, I would NEVER go to watch them. I am happy with a mix, such as Chelsea have, but all foreigners - no f***ing way.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I don't understand what you mean when you say become a big club again.

In over 100 years of football we have spent 3 seasons in the top division.We are a community club who rely on home grown
talent & that is how we will continue to build.

Next season our crowd capacity will probably be in the bottom half of teams in the championship.
Let's not run before we can walk.

I mean like we used to be with gates of over 30000 on a regular basis, playing in a football ground as equals with the likes of Sunderland, Wolves, West Brom etc. and not like a Conference style Club that Knight turned us into.

All clubs used to be "community clubs", in that their main fan base was local. naturally not Manure because they always attracted papists and glory hunters from Cornwall. We have only had to suffer "home grown talent" over recent years, as Knight did things on a shoestring. Generally, we sign players from other clubs because Sussex is not blessed with too much football talent. Admittedly, most were old and on their way down, or had been rejected by bigger clubs.

Anyway, capacity is only an issue if it sells out. Are you suggesting that our crowds will be in the bottom half of those for the Championship? With the season ticket sales alone we would be top ten average crowds. Not only that, but as most of the northern teams fill their grounds with punters not paying too much, our actual receipts are likely to be well up there.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My team for next season:

New
Calderon, Greer, New, Painter
Bennett or New, New, Bridcutt, LuaLua or Noone,
Murray or New, New

subs: Ankergren, McNulty, el Abd, Dicker, Sparrow (away) or New(striker - home) Barnes, Noone or New

That New is one hell of a versatile lad, then!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
f*** me, some of the views on this thread are absolutely frightening.

Ankergren ? Two L1 player of the month awards, a hand (or two) in the 2nd meanest defence in the division, and a VITAL cog in the style of play which Gus has imposed on this team. You think EVERY keeper is as comfortable receiving the ball at his feet and playing it round the back like a 5th outfield defender as Ankergren ? Just check out some other keepers in this division (and above) to see how they cope with the ball at their feet - if they don't hump it up the park, they're all over the shop. As for glaring errors, in 44 league games you've probably got about 3, tops. A very acceptable return.

El Abd ? Coming off the back of the season of his life, where he has blossomed under Gus into one of the best centrebacks in the division. Tough, uncompromising, terrific positional sense and anticipation, powerful in the air even against taller opponents, reliable, has cut out the errors, composed, comfortable bringing the ball out and adapting to our style of play. What more do you want FFS ?

Painter ? I have not the words. How ANYONE thinks this guy isn't up to the Championship is completely beyond me. He is consistency personified, never gets skinned, supports coming forward and oozes class week in, week out.

As for the notion that we must retain players based on their knowledge of the clubs history and playing at Withdean - bonkers. You would ACTUALLY rather see us relegated on that basis than see us push forward by strengthening and adding to what we have with a better class of player, because they haven't "slummed it" with us at the athletics track these last few years ??

Scary.

Agree with most of this - but maybe not about Ankergren. After all, why and how did we get him? We got him because his previous side got promoted and they didn't reckon he was Championship level either!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is with regret that I say it but Leeds are a big club and have been looking towards the Premiership whilst we will be looking to consolidate in the Championship. The fact that we are not prepared to fund an attractive contract for Murray is to me, pretty indicative, that we will not be a club buying in highly priced and talented players.

When Tony and Gus say they are looking to get 7 players in I expect them to be players who could reasonably expected to hold their own and do a job in the Championship. I do not expect those players to be ones which can be expected to excel in the division. The thought of Michael Owen is a joke. Tony and Gus will largely be buying squad strength and no more.

I expect the side which starts in the Championship to be little changed from what is here now. The goalkeeper and defenders can expect to keep their places. We will probably have a new experienced midfield player to start in the first team and a striker with a good record IF Murray goes. Otherwise there will be squad strength. To get those two players will cost plenty.

I may of course have it completely wrong. I feel though we need just a touch of quality to supplement what we have.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The balance is key-Gus is key and he could be on the best contract finance wise in the Championship, but for all the difference that will make at some point he needs to see(without breaking the club finances and being stupid)some form of ambition and that requires spending money,substantial money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here