Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I totally think we should recall Walton to sit on the bench and provide proper competition for Ryan.

It doesn't work like that with keepers though, does it? It's not like he can be given 20-30 mins by Potter off the bench to show his stuff, and swapping starting keepers from game to game is a recipe for defensive disaster.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I could, I’d release at least half of the current squad and replace them with players who’ll be able to raise us up the league next season rather than constantly looking down rather than up. We’ve failed to put together a side that can challenge, we’re just trying to avoid relegation. TB said he wants to aim top ten, then, the grim reality is, he’s going to have to splash a lot of cash. So many of our players try so hard, but they’re just not suited to the top flight. It pains me to say this, but watching the Albion for the past three seasons has often been excruciating, the pundits know it, fans of other sides know it, and I think I know what they mean. When you see how the likes of Sheffield Utd, Burnley, CP, Wolves, Newcastle, even Saints, have gone about building a Premier League squad we seem to be lagging behind.

All IMO, and of course, I know I’m wrong.

This season has seen us start to move in the right direction imo, I think challenging is a way off though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Obviously, I am just a fan and thank the sweet baby jebus not our manager, I don't profess to be the font of all knowledge, but my choices regarding my selections of players to be let go or sold is based on the presumption that we can improve through the transfer market on those players, that will hopefully improve the team and take us to the next level (middle table mediocrity) :lolol:

Regarding the youth and under 23 players in the list, I admit I know very little about them hence I put ?
So I have not said keep or get rid on a fair few of them on the list.

I don't mean to seem like I was picking on you, I was just explaining where I copied the list from - so if any players were missing I had a ready made excuse. I removed any of the players anyone on the thread suggested should be sold/loaned.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What I would do:

Sell/release: Button, Steele, Schelotto, Montoya, Kayal, Pröpper, Trossard (loan?), Gross, Ali J, Izquierdo

Bring in: White, Molumby, Gyökeres + young GK and a CLASSY winger

Squad would look fine to me, a bit too much deadwood and bad squad balance atm so almost certain there will be more outs than ins. Big question is probably going to be about the midfield & wings where there's some difficult choices to be made..

Oh yes, sell/release TEN players, and replace them with five players with little or no Premier League experience. That's clearly the way to go . . . NOT. :ffsparr:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Davy? Have you been drinking??

Forgot to write that I only want Pröpper to go if there is a new midfield signing. Would like to see new CM + Bissouma, Alzate, Stephens, Molumby as the central midfielders next season.

Oh yes, sell/release TEN players, and replace them with five players with little or no Premier League experience. That's clearly the way to go . . . NOT. :ffsparr:

I think the squad is too big yes.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think the squad is too big yes.

It’s 25 players, same as everyone else isn’t it ?
There is obviously going to be variable quality within the squad but some players in some seasons are destined to be back up and no more. There is no point in releasing these players because they aren’t first team regulars.
I have to completely disagree about Propper. It would be tough to find a replacement of at least the same ability let alone one that is an improvement.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Provided we stay up there are four players that I'm intrigued by how they'll fit in to Potter's plans next year: Duffy, Bernardo, Gross, Ali J.

I think they all have something to offer but I'm not sure where they fit.

Duffy is currently third choice centre back. Assuming Ben White joins the squad next season and makes the step up as comfortably as he has the transition from U-18's to U-23's to league 2 to league 1 to the championship you've got to think Duffy will be fourth choice. I reckon Potter will be happy with him in the squad but will Duffy be happy with that? Probably not and as one of the few players who will be able to generate a decent price and our need for money post covid it seems a real possibility his time with us is nearly up. Which makes me sad - him and Dunk were/are hands down the best central defensive partnership I've seen in the 30+ years I've been watching the Albion.

Bernardo. This one really puzzles me. He's the only left back in the squad, seemingly has the attributes Potter would want in a left back but has lost, well, never even had, his place to a 6 foot 7 centre half. He's not even made the bench in the last two games - and that's with nine men benches. In his place Potter has chosen two right backs. So, what's up? If he can't get in the team over a centre half and can't even make a nine man bench, when does he make the squad? Does his face not fit? Can he not comprehend what Potter asks of him? I wouldn't get rid of him but I just don't get why he's not anywhere near playing.

Gross was outstanding as the number ten when we played 4-4-1-1 in our first season. His delivery remains immaculate but when he gets moved out of that position he strikes me as a bit of a premier league Skalak. We now have Mooy and MacAllister who can do what he does and maybe more. We have a number of players who can play as number 10, we have several wingers and a glut of central midfielders with Molumby and Baluta waiting in the wings. He's a good player but I'm not sure where he fits in anymore.

Potter seems reluctant to give Ali J game time unless there's no one else available. He seems like a really nice guy, a great professional with obvious talent but for two seasons and with two different managers with two completely different styles of play he's barely had a kick. Even when he grabbed his chance over xmas/the new year with two goals(including the goal of the season) he's found himself at the back of the queue. I don't see whats going to change in year three so for his sake we should cut our losses and let him get on with his career and not waste it in the stands of a lower end premier league team.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I honestly don't think Gross is going anywhere. If we want to progress having players like him available to step in when Mooy is injured or unavailable is crucial. We've improved as a team but there's no way we're too good for a player like Pascal. He's still got a huge part to play imo.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s 25 players, same as everyone else isn’t it ?
There is obviously going to be variable quality within the squad but some players in some seasons are destined to be back up and no more. There is no point in releasing these players because they aren’t first team regulars.
I have to completely disagree about Propper. It would be tough to find a replacement of at least the same ability let alone one that is an improvement.

I agree you need squad players but overall the current one is a bit big and more so not very balanced. My suggested changes again (so you dont need to backtrack in the thread):

Sell/release: Button, Steele, Schelotto, Montoya, Kayal, Pröpper, Trossard (loan?), Gross, Ali J, Izquierdo

Bring in: White, Molumby, Gyökeres + young GK and a CLASSY winger + (as I forgot to add) replacement for Pröpper

This would give a squad like this:

GK: Ryan, Walton (or Button or Steele), new signing

RB: Lamptey, Alzate (Webster)
CB: Webster, Dunk, Duffy, White (Burn)
LB: Burn, Bernardo (March)

CM: Bissouma, new signing, Alzate, Molumby, Stephens (Mooy, March)
Wingers: Macallister, new signing, Mooy, March (Connolly, Alzate)

FW: Maupay, Gyökeres, Connolly, Murray

Looking pretty hot to me and broad enough to cope with more issues, especially if there is 1-2 players coming up from the academy as well.

Pröpper should only be let go if there is a proper (ehe..) replacement. As for GK I dont really mind any solution as long as Ryan stays.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I honestly don't think Gross is going anywhere. If we want to progress having players like him available to step in when Mooy is injured or unavailable is crucial. We've improved as a team but there's no way we're too good for a player like Pascal. He's still got a huge part to play imo.

I wouldnt be surprised if he stays. Potter seems to like him and he got some great stats in some areas. Perhaps could find him a new position in the break, could see him as a wing back or central midfielder.

So Duffy just got a clean sheet at a Champions League placed club and there are loads wanting him gone?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Poor Matt Clarke: bought as a future first team prospect, has had a good season with Derby despite their inconsistency as a team, and has been forgotten already by the majority of posters on here.

He's another reason why I think Duffy may choose to move on if the option arises. With Dunk (assuming he stays), White (assuming the same- he seems to have interest from massive clubs, and also Leeds), Burn who is a CH by trade, Webster, Clarke, Haydon Roberts and others, it's hard to see Duffy as anything other than a bench player, as he has found this season. Of all of them, he strikes me as the least capable of adapting to Potterball. In fact, watching Shane trying to play neat football actually maes me rather nervous. I'm sat there going "just **** it, Shane".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Poor Matt Clarke: bought as a future first team prospect, has had a good season with Derby despite their inconsistency as a team, and has been forgotten already by the majority of posters on here.

He's another reason why I think Duffy may choose to move on if the option arises. With Dunk (assuming he stays), White (assuming the same- he seems to have interest from massive clubs, and also Leeds), Burn who is a CH by trade, Webster, Clarke, Haydon Roberts and others, it's hard to see Duffy as anything other than a bench player, as he has found this season. Of all of them, he strikes me as the least capable of adapting to Potterball. In fact, watching Shane trying to play neat football actually maes me rather nervous. I'm sat there going "just **** it, Shane".

Agree. I would want Duffy to stay as he is a good defender, but most likely he will leave. The future of Östigård (loan to Championship maybe?) & Clarke pretty much depends on if Duffy stays or leaves and if Potter wants to play with 3 cb a lot of the time next season.

Either way central defense is going to look tasty next season and I believe that would be the case even if Duffy + one of Webster/Dunk/White would leave (cant rule that out entirely).

Edit: Should also add that I agree Duffy is poorly made for Potterball, but he is a great "niche" pick from time to time. Likely he wants more than that though.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
What I would do:

Bring in: White, Molumby, Gyökeres + young GK and a CLASSY winger

Squad would look fine to me, a bit too much deadwood and bad squad balance atm so almost certain there will be more outs than ins. Big question is probably going to be about the midfield & wings where there's some difficult choices to be made..

Release Propper. You are joking I hope. Is pure class. He is an International player why would we get rid of him.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
If Ali J goes, especially to another premier league team, we will regret it. Hugely.
I have never been so sure of anything football related in my life*

*I know f*ck all about football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Release Propper. You are joking I hope. Is pure class. He is an International player why would we get rid of him.

He is too inconsistent and got zero end product. He definitely isnt bad but replacing him with a similar (creative, strong two-way player) but better player would be a huge step in turning into that top 10 club.

He is too reputable for the bench though so he would need to be shipped.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I agree you need squad players but overall the current one is a bit big and more so not very balanced. My suggested changes again (so you dont need to backtrack in the thread):

Bring in: White, Molumby, Gyökeres + young GK and a CLASSY winger + (as I forgot to add) replacement for Pröpper

This would give a squad like this:

GK: Ryan, Walton (or Button or Steele), new signing

RB: Lamptey, Alzate (Webster)
CB: Webster, Dunk, Duffy, White (Burn)
LB: Burn, Bernardo (March)

CM: Bissouma, new signing, Alzate, Molumby, Stephens (Mooy, March)
Wingers: Macallister, new signing, Mooy, March (Connolly, Alzate)

FW: Maupay, Gyökeres, Connolly, Murray

Looking pretty hot to me and broad enough to cope with more issues, especially if there is 1-2 players coming up from the academy as well.

Pröpper should only be let go if there is a proper (ehe..) replacement. As for GK I dont really mind any solution as long as Ryan stays.

Agree for the most part, except...

Sell Duffy and bring in one of Clarke or Ostigard. Duffy won’t want another season on the bench.
Keep Montoya. He is good backup at RB, Alzate is not really a right back.
Keep Propper. Obviously. No need then for a new CM unless we can find a significant upgrade.
Buy a striker. Murray will surely be scarcely used next season and moving more towards coaching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here