Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Top half of table / comfortable mid table. I’m a big fan of those players I’ve mentioned and defended them on here a number of times. I just feel we need to consolidate as a recognised prem team now or it’s all a bit samey for me. Not a huge fan of the prem if I’m honest either, but just would like a season that’s a bit different / more exciting rather then 4 years of the same... Appreciate it’s a big ish ask but... I think all our CM are similar level, can have great games but all bottom 3rd of the prem type players. We need to think bigger now.

I know what you're saying and I think TB has said and demonstrated, that he's not happy just with narrowly avoiding relegation each year. I just don't think we're that far off being where you're talking about. Performance-wise I think we've been a decent mid table team this season, but the difference is those teams are getting goals from midfield and wide positions, where we're entirely reliant on one striker and central defenders, and have been the whole time we've been in the Premier League.

I genuinely don't believe Burnley, Soton, Newcastle, Palace, Sheff U are loads better than us. But they've found a way of edging tight games (esp Palace) and we've found ways of buggering them up.

I believe, that given another 2 seasons, GP will find ways to do this without a radical squad restructure. Next season, I think we'll look to incorporate the Lamptey's, White's, Alzate's and Molumby's and won't do much better. The season after that I think we'll be really good.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I know what you're saying and I think TB has said and demonstrated, that he's not happy just with narrowly avoiding relegation each year. I just don't think we're that far off being where you're talking about. Performance-wise I think we've been a decent mid table team this season, but the difference is those teams are getting goals from midfield and wide positions, where we're entirely reliant on one striker and central defenders, and have been the whole time we've been in the Premier League.

I genuinely don't believe Burnley, Soton, Newcastle, Palace, Sheff U are loads better than us. But they've found a way of edging tight games (esp Palace) and we've found ways of buggering them up.

I believe, that given another 2 seasons, GP will find ways to do this without a radical squad restructure. Next season, I think we'll look to incorporate the Lamptey's, White's, Alzate's and Molumby's and won't do much better. The season after that I think we'll be really good.

Without doubt we’ve put in many top 10 performances - we play great football! But to edge those games we need a touch more quality. I’m not saying get rid of all of those guys, just that there’s a ? on them for me. I’ve said from the start of this season, if we stay up I believe Potter’s second season would be a huge surprise and we’d do really well...

nobody has mentioned Knockhart .Hes on the retained list and i havent read anywhere that Fulham will be signing him (but could be wrong). I guess if they get promoted they wont sign him considering he doesnt play week in week out in the Championship but if they dont get promoted they may well do.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
nobody has mentioned Knockhart .Hes on the retained list and i havent read anywhere that Fulham will be signing him (but could be wrong). I guess if they get promoted they wont sign him considering he doesnt play week in week out in the Championship but if they dont get promoted they may well do.
You guess wrong. It is a loan to buy deal and Fulham are committed to the buy.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

That's because his name is Anthony Knockaert. ???

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There is always more transfer business than expected so...

OUT of the 25 man squad :

Kayal
Jahanbakhsh
Steele
Duffy ? ( surely wants more 1st team football )
Stephens ? ( enters last year of contract )
Locadia ( he was given a place in the 25 )
[1 currently Unfilled space in 25]
Schelotto ? ???

Now older than U21, so ADDED to 25:

Alzate
Mac Allister

Back from loan, so ADDED to 25:

Walton
White
Gyokeres

U21s: Lamptey, Connolly, Molumby

Leaving 2 spaces in the 25 to recruit :

Striker
Central Midfielder

Last edited:

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
It obviously depends on budgets for new players and the ability to actually get rid of some of them but I could do without:

Ali J
Montoya
Solly
Jason Steele
Locadia
Andone

I suspect we may also see Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo and Murray leave but I'd rather we kept them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Kayal
Jahanbakhsh
Steele
Schelotto ? ???

Alzate
Mac Allister

Walton
White
Gyokeres

Striker
Central Midfielder

It's already been announced Locadia will remain at FC Cincinnati for next season. We also have Andrew Crofts named in the 25 man squad but I don't expect him to be named next season (he'll remain with the club in his player/coach role with the U23's), so you've got another space to fill if needed.

I'm pretty certain Schelotto and Kayal will be gone, if we had wanted them for next season I'm sure they'd have been given one year deals rather than short term contracts to get through the re-start. I also think we might see both Button and Steele moved on, with Walton and Sanchez to battle it out in pre season for the backup spot and another keeper coming in as third choice. I believe Sanchez is currently training with the first team squad although he can't play as he wasn't named in the 25 man squad. Walton doesn't make the backup spot he might well be sold on.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Kayal
Jahanbakhsh
Steele
Schelotto ? ???

Alzate
Mac Allister

Walton
White
Gyokeres

Striker
Central Midfielder

Good summary.

I don’t think Gyokores is good enough so may be a third space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
If we want to progress, we have no use for March, Gross, Stephens or Murray anymore. Schelotto and Montoya could both do with being improved on too. I like Duffy a lot but with White coming back he could easily be let go as well.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If we want to progress, we have no use for March, Gross, Stephens or Murray anymore. Schelotto and Montoya could both do with being improved on too. I like Duffy a lot but with White coming back he could easily be let go as well.

No chance that all of these culture carriers are allowed to go. Think at least Stephens & Murray are staying, though probably getting very limited time on the pitch.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe, maybe not. Ostigard and Clarke to come back too, perhaps.

I think Ostigard is potentially exciting, but whether he wants to return as cover is another thing.

I have ‘heard’ Clarke was disappointed to be loaned out, how accurate that is I don’t know. But he looks a little slow to me, the few times I’ve seen him.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I have ‘heard’ Clarke was disappointed to be loaned out, how accurate that is I don’t know. But he looks a little slow to me, the few times I’ve seen him.
He's started 28 games for Derby this season, played 2,500 minutes and has the second-highest rating for Derby players on SofaScore (after Chris Martin...), so even if we don't want him we should be able to sell him on for a decent profit on the £3.5M we paid for him.

(whisper it softly, but his average rating is actually higher than Ben White's...)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He's started 28 games for Derby this season, played 2,500 minutes and has the second-highest rating for Derby players on SofaScore (after Chris Martin...), so even if we don't want him we should be able to sell him on for a decent profit on the £3.5M we paid for him.

(whisper it softly, but his average rating is actually higher than Ben White's...)

Oh my word - I had no idea!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here