Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can’t see Murray being excluded from the 25 man squad as we’ve extended his contract for a year. Surely back up striker/ positive influence/ striker coach role? Otherwise completely agree and share query re Bernardo and Ali J.

Means we get something for him when he goes to a Championship club for a 'last hurrah'.........? Agree that failing that he stays in a coaching role - really can't see where he fits into a young Potter team next season though other than as a very, very occasional sub.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Interesting, and this is the first insight I've heard as to why we've seen Bernardo so infrequently this season. Did this happen once, or multiple times? And why are you so sure that it was Bernardo that prompted the hair pulling?

It happened a few times at one home match I remember. Also GP has tried to him move him into central midfield a position he said "I think he can do, but im not sure he believes in himself enough".

I maybe doing him a massive disservice but I get the feeling he needs to be looked after a bit through a match.

I think GP wants players that are proactive, making positive calls whether right or wrong.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think there will be as much churn as is being suggested.

We need to find space in the 25 nominations for Alzate, Mac Allister, White and maybe Gyökeres.

Molumby, Connolly, and Lamptey still count as under 21 I think.

I suspect recruitment will be finely targeted on a small number of incoming, and some of it will be for future seasons.

Agreed - some quite far-out suggestions on this thread about how many will be off.................

-some of the decent youngsters will be solid team/squad members next season
-would expect Kayal, Button, Murray, Duffy (because of White returning) and Izquierdo to be out of the 25. I'd add Schelotto but GP seems to like him so maybe he stays
-Stephens may want to move on as he's not going to get anything like as much game time with Bissouma developing so fast and Propper, Mooy and potentially Alzate ahead of him (and Molumby playing a part ?)
-we'll (as always) probably be looking to buy a striker, but won't.......
-really can't see March going - good squad player

Bit mystified about Ali J and Bernardo not being involved at all so far.

Ah, a bit of common sense on here at last! We are not going to sell half our squad and buy a whole new team, despite what some on here would seem to like.

Other than fringe players, I can only see other players leaving if a). it makes sense financially - either a big fee, or maybe saving wages if they're a high earning bench-warmer, or b). if we can get in a replacement for them - at a price within budget - who are at least slightly better than the player they're replacing.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ah, a bit of common sense on here at last! We are not going to sell half our squad and buy a whole new team, despite what some on here would seem to like.

Other than fringe players, I can only see other players leaving if a). it makes sense financially - either a big fee, or maybe saving wages if they're a high earning bench-warmer, or b). if we can get in a replacement for them - at a price within budget - who are at least slightly better than the player they're replacing.

I fairness the OP was which first team players would you[ let go. It was a bit of an open invitation for some Football Manager type posts.
Can see some further wage savings to happen, but would expect these to be loans rather than releasing players.

I suspect we may be coming to the point in our journey where we will start to need to sell in order to buy.
This is the only area of weakness with our recruitment strategy to date for me.
At the moment, with the exception of Dunk/White, we haven't got any players that we could sell for a profit and not have to spend more to replace.

If Lamptey and McAllister manage to meet our growing expectations, this will become less of a issue.

It's clearly the way the club are looking to progress, I hope it comes off,

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would let Trossard go - Controversial I know but I think he is limited in what he provides over a whole season

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Exactly, which is why I suggested Duffy/Stephens, possibly, if they got good wage offers and we got a half decent return as a club. Both are examples of players who stepped up when we came up, proved themselves in the PL, but are not getting any better, or younger.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Means we get something for him when he goes to a Championship club for a 'last hurrah'.........? Agree that failing that he stays in a coaching role - really can't see where he fits into a young Potter team next season though other than as a very, very occasional sub.

Yes, I see that. Loan out, recall clause if we get injuries and keep him down here for the next step which hopefully will be a coaching role topped up income wise by media work. Should work for him and us.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I would let Trossard go - Controversial I know but I think he is limited in what he provides over a whole season

Not controversial at all, he has flattered to deceive...

Actually been a bit of flop, after all the flairtastic hoo-ha around his signing, he clearly has talent, but not the attitude for 90mins, he seems to stroll around a little to much for my liking and obviously thinks he is better than he actually is, now that's controversial

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’d personally have question marks over the following, purely due to the fact we have to take the next jump and improve on what we have - nothing against them personally as they’re all good players:

Schelotto
March
Propper
Burn
Webster
Montoya
Gross (not been the same since first season)
Kayal
Ali J

Just feel there’s room for improvement / upgrade and I’ve been ruthless with my list here. Not everyone will agree, but we have to make the next step up now.

March, Propper, Burn and Webster are going nowhere. The last three are all regular starters, while March tends to feature in every game.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Duffy should go, he's a PL player that deserves to be playing more regular football, but I totally get why Potter can't give him that.
If Stephens wants more regular football, he'll have to leave too.
Beyond that, Schelotto, Kayal and either Button or Steele are obvious candidates. Maybe Gross or Ali J if they want to go, and we can get some money for them. Izquierdo might have to cancel his contract. That'll leave:

Gk: Ryan, Walton, Button/Steele
Fb: Lamptey, Montoya, Bernardo, March, Burn
Cb: Dunk, Webster, White, Burn, one of Ostigard and Clarke
CM: Propper, Bissouma, Alzate, Molumby
AM: Mac Allister, Mooy, (Gross?)
Wide: Trossard, March, (Ali J?), (Gyokeres?)
Forward: Maupay, Connolly, Murray

When put like that, splashing out (ie going big to improve the quality of the squad, the market will be amenable) on two (or even three) of the following: CM, winger/wide forward, forward. Looks promising to me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
March, Propper, Burn and Webster are going nowhere. The last three are all regular starters, while March tends to feature in every game.

Yep, CH and GP have used March consistently so regardless of what some of us think, myself included, it’s unlikely he’s going anywhere. Burn is on the team sheet as a starter every game, as is Webster, a GP signing, so I would be shocked if either is shipped out.

Propper signed a new contract, under Potter, and imo is one of our best players, lack of goals notwithstanding.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I’d personally have question marks over the following, purely due to the fact we have to take the next jump and improve on what we have - nothing against them personally as they’re all good players:

Schelotto
March
Propper
Burn
Webster
Montoya
Gross (not been the same since first season)
Kayal
Ali J

Just feel there’s room for improvement / upgrade and I’ve been ruthless with my list here. Not everyone will agree, but we have to make the next step up now.

The next step is a bit of a difficult thing to quantify though isn't it?
If you really have question marks over Propper/March/Burn/Webster/Gross then I'm guessing your next step is a big chunk higher than mine would be.

I'll settle for not being in most pundits list of likeliest to go down, as our logical next step,rather than pushing for Europe, which is what I guess you are alluding to?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not controversial at all, he has flattered to deceive...

Actually been a bit of flop, after all the flairtastic hoo-ha around his signing, he clearly has talent, but not the attitude for 90mins, he seems to stroll around a little to much for my liking and obviously thinks he is better than he actually is, now that's controversial

The first few times l saw him play, l honestly thought we may have unearthed a talent as good as his countryman Eden Hazard. I have been proved very wrong over time though His interest seems to have waned, and his concentration levels with it.

He was a marquee signing though, and l'm hoping that next season we might see a much more committed player. I certainly wouldn't be looking to offload him yet a while.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The first few times l saw him play, l honestly thought we may have unearthed a talent as good as his countryman Eden Hazard. I have been proved very wrong over time though His interest seems to have waned, and his concentration levels with it.

He was a marquee signing though, and l'm hoping that next season we might see a much more committed player. I certainly wouldn't be looking to offload him yet a while.

After a pretty good start he has been a big disappointment, I haven’t given up on him yet. I thought that he certainly put in a shift in the last two games, better tracking and tackling than pre lockdown imo

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yep, CH and GP have used March consistently so regardless of what some of us think, myself included, it’s unlikely he’s going anywhere. Burn is on the team sheet as a starter every game, as is Webster, a GP signing, so I would be shocked if either is shipped out.

Propper signed a new contract, under Potter, and imo is one of our best players, lack of goals notwithstanding.

Completely with you as regards your final point. Davy Propper is a much under apprecated talent, does so much good work for the team, much of it not recognised.

I would be surprised actually if he isn't on the radar of a much bigger fish than us.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In general transfer dealings have been poor. To progress we have to do what Southamptn/Bournmouth and Burnley for eg have done and sold players for big money to help finance new buys.. To many big buys not wanted in team including Andone,Locadia,Alli and now looks like Bernardo. For years we have been signing young foreign players for our Academy and just seemed to be released after a couple of years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The next step is a bit of a difficult thing to quantify though isn't it?
If you really have question marks over Propper/March/Burn/Webster/Gross then I'm guessing your next step is a big chunk higher than mine would be.

I'll settle for not being in most pundits list of likeliest to go down, as our logical next step,rather than pushing for Europe, which is what I guess you are alluding to?

Top half of table / comfortable mid table. I’m a big fan of those players I’ve mentioned and defended them on here a number of times. I just feel we need to consolidate as a recognised prem team now or it’s all a bit samey for me. Not a huge fan of the prem if I’m honest either, but just would like a season that’s a bit different / more exciting rather then 4 years of the same... Appreciate it’s a big ish ask but... I think all our CM are similar level, can have great games but all bottom 3rd of the prem type players. We need to think bigger now.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

He has provided very limited flashes of what he can do. But clearly there is a player there. If we're saying the same in a year's time, i'll find myself agreeing with you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here