Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Albion games bring back the best memories?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
anyone remember that game at swindon when we were either 4 -0 or even 5-0 down and the game was abandoned due to a 'Pea souper' . that made me laugh :lolol:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
hampden park said:
anyone remember that game at swindon when we were either 4 -0 or even 5-0 down and the game was abandoned due to a 'Pea souper' . that made me laugh :lolol:

yep, I was there 4-0 after 65 mins

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
memorable for all the wrong reasons 0 - 0 home to swindon in the early 90's, the most boring game of football I've ever seen.my mate reckons he counted 37 back passes by them!
Also away to forest in the league cup 78, A lad named Flopsy(Steve Darby) organised a coach from crowborough & wanted to be seen as our" leader". As he got of the coach shouting "follow me lads" he got a smack in the mouth from a massive forest fan who probably couldnt beleive his luck as 50 Albion fans rolled up with laughter. on the way home the coach driver wouldnt stop & one lad got his nob stuck in a beer can while trying to have a piss.
.... and it was a bloody good game too

Last edited:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
i remember going to palarse with my brother. we got into the holmesdale end with a few other lads. when it started to fill up my brother got out a single white sheet that he had wrapped around his body with the words 'we f***ing hate palace' on it. we held it up between us, had a punch-up and got removed by the old bill. silly,i know, but it was fun at the time :rolleyes:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Ernest said:
Oldham brings back many bad memories, 1984 losing 1-0 in torrential rain and 100 Albion supporters in the gents bogs sheltering from the rain, 1983 losing 1-0 again and me and Beach Hut being chased around the car park after by Oldham loonies :angry: :angry: :angry:

was one of those games the one where we scored in the 90 min from a corner only for the ref to claim he had already blown for full time?

One of my favs has to be Newcastle away 1979..what a day

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
For me Liverpool away in the 83 cup run was the all time best.

At the time Anfield was a fortress. Harder to win at than Stamford Bridge is today. They had not been beaten there in something like 55 consecutive cup matches including European competitions against all the top teams.

The match was an all time classic. Anfield was packed to the rafters. How we survived the last twenty minutes of pressure, including a penalty miss I shall never know.

Incredibly I have never seen the match since. It was not televised at all, not even the goals. Apparently the Liverpool teams training recording of the match was shown at the Pink Coconut some time after, but I wasnt there. Now that is one video I would love to see. Great Cornholio or anybody else please track that one down. It must be gathering dust in an attic somewhere.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Someone mentioned winning at Northampton, think that may have been in the cup, if it is the game I went to. On leaving the station the police were asking people if they were Brighton fans, if you answered yes then it was onto a double decker and out of the city to god knows where, fortunately I thought on my feet and said that I was just going into the town shopping. All I can remember of the game was that it was very windy, one of our players had a shot someway outside the box, the ball went up in the air, was caught by the wind and may have ended up behind him, perhaps my memory is being affected by the mists of time but I am sure it was Bremmner.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...in fact a bit more is coming back to me about the Northampton game, clearly the police were either crap at their job or we managed to outsmart them but quite a few Albion made it into the town centre and took up residence in a pub. Maybe an hour before the footy kicked of it really went off in the pub, someone came through a door into the bar wielding a stool above his head and quite a few Albion waded in for some action. In the bar was a sort of skittle game where you just lobbed a wooden ball at the skittles, these were close at hand and made ideal weapons, at this point it was kicking off in the street outside, the air was filled by the sound of wailing sirens. At this moment I decided that it would be more fun watching the footy later that afternoon than getting involved in a re-enactment of Custers Last Stand, so exiting stage left through a handily placed fire escape.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
the playoff final, 1st game back at withdean and Chester 7-1

cdavis

May 14, 2004
Have been watching the Albion for 43 years now......too many good games to mention......but for once agree with most of Earnest,s post....!! However, without a shadow of doubt , the best game i ever went to was the shortest...........v York City., and the game got abandoned due to crowd invasion. That game brought Brighton & Hove Albion national coverage to our plight, which has more or less remained since then. For once, "people power" in football meant something. Every man , woman and child on that pitch that day made a statement...............I feel so proud and honoured to have been one of them.

Gully said:
...in fact a bit more is coming back to me about the Northampton game, clearly the police were either crap at their job or we managed to outsmart them but quite a few Albion made it into the town centre and took up residence in a pub. Maybe an hour before the footy kicked of it really went off in the pub, someone came through a door into the bar wielding a stool above his head and quite a few Albion waded in for some action. In the bar was a sort of skittle game where you just lobbed a wooden ball at the skittles, these were close at hand and made ideal weapons, at this point it was kicking off in the street outside, the air was filled by the sound of wailing sirens. At this moment I decided that it would be more fun watching the footy later that afternoon than getting involved in a re-enactment of Custers Last Stand, so exiting stage left through a handily placed fire escape.

I been to that pub a couple of times, the last time, one of the punters had crapped in the urinals!!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Exmouth Seagull said:

At the time Anfield was a fortress. Harder to win at than Stamford Bridge is today. They had not been beaten there in something like 55 consecutive cup matches including European competitions against all the top teams.

The match was an all time classic. Anfield was packed to the rafters. How we survived the last twenty minutes of pressure, including a penalty miss I shall never know.

Incredibly I have never seen the match since. It was not televised at all, not even the goals. Apparently the Liverpool teams training recording of the match was shown at the Pink Coconut some time after, but I wasnt there. Now that is one video I would love to see. Great Cornholio or anybody else please track that one down. It must be gathering dust in an attic somewhere.

Yes you're right the match was shown in Sherry's a couple of weeks after and that is the one and only time I've seen footage of the game.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ive got the full 90 mins on video.

Picture is a bit dodgy tho as its about a 10th generation copy...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
rochdale at withdean when we lost 4-3 and it just pissed it down - i was a ballboy and ended up ill for a good 5 days after it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Exmouth Seagull said:

How we survived the last twenty minutes of pressure, including a penalty miss I shall never know.

Phil Neal missed it, in front of hte Kop, on his birthday!!! Bless.:clap2:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
How about the 3rd round cup game against Pompey in 93? They were flying at the time in Div 2 and had Guy Whittingham scoring goals for fun. We'd only just squeaked past Woking after a replay in the 2nd round and were totally inconsistent.

There was near 18,000 in the ground and Pompey were everywhere. North, South and West stands as well as the East. Whittingham was suspended for that game but I think Pompey totally dominated but just couldn't score due to heroics from Beeney.

Matthew Edwards had our one of our few chances and buried it. This spurred Portsmouth into and all out offensive and we were really hanging on by now.

Into stoppage time and Beeney made a great save to force a corner. Ball came in and Pompey scored, right at the death. Total depression. As I looked up from my hands I saw a glorious sight.

A man in black holding a flag aloft.

Pompey fans were going nuts, they had a large pitch invasion out of the East terrace, fans in the south stand going mad. Watching them all slowly begin to clock that the goal had been disallowed and hearing their cheers being drowned out by ours really was magic.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
How about the 3rd round cup game against Pompey in 93? They were flying at the time in Div 2 and had Guy Whittingham scoring goals for fun. We'd only just squeaked past Woking after a replay in the 2nd round and were totally inconsistent.

There was near 18,000 in the ground and Pompey were everywhere. North, South and West stands as well as the East. Whittingham was suspended for that game but I think Pompey totally dominated but just couldn't score due to heroics from Beeney.

Matthew Edwards had our one of our few chances and buried it. This spurred Portsmouth into and all out offensive and we were really hanging on by now.

Into stoppage time and Beeney made a great save to force a corner. Ball came in and Pompey scored, right at the death. Total depression. As I looked up from my hands I saw a glorious sight.

A man in black holding a flag aloft.

Pompey fans were going nuts, they had a large pitch invasion out of the East terrace, fans in the south stand going mad. Watching them all slowly begin to clock that the goal had been disallowed and hearing their cheers being drowned out by ours really was magic.

:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here