Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where should DW strength in time for next season

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Goalkeeper: We need a new keeper, Kuipers is competent enough but finally he needs some proper competition. Can we see if Sullivan's any good please?

Defence: I think we might be in trouble if Elphick goes. Mayo has shown he is now past it if we want to contend for promotion (superb club servant, mind). Rents hasn't done enough to warrant any more than a squad position and I do wonder whether that's the last we'll see of Butters. I think we've got cover in defence but apart from Elphick, it's a bit average.

Midfield: Thompson has been disappointing in the past few games and Westlake has gone off the boil. However, I do think both have something to offer, and despite recent form, I'd love to see Westy down here permanently. We do need a genuine play maker who can create a bit of space and encourage the team to use the width of the pitch. For me, this is number one priority.

Forwards: Most promising aspect of the team. Forster has another year in him but we've got to hope that Dixon and Robinson can step up to the plate to provide genuine competition for places for Forster and Murray.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A Keeper is a must, Kuipers has been OK this season but OK doesnt get you promoted.
Some cover for the full back postions would be good.

Another winger would be useful as would a central midfielder.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
left back is our biggest priority - mayo and rents arent up to it, so we need someone there desperately
central midfield - we still look poor in there, even with the addition of thomson. we need a ball playing midfield who can make things happen
winger - preferably left side, as cox has looked a lot lot better since coming back in on the right
striker - back up for murray and forster, as if one of those two gets injured we simply dont have a player who is good enough to replace them
keeper - kuipers isnt getting any younger, and he needs competition

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
DW should resign - that will streghten the squad.
I thought his substitution and team tactical changes after half time were excellent last night.

Too bad he clearly hadn't done his homework in the first place. You could see we were giving there centre backs far too much time to stroke the ball about and push forward with ease and under no pressure.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
A keeper - Yes Kuipers needs some competition.

Left back - Matt Richards from Ipswich please.

Centre half.. Lynch is injury prone so another needed.

Midfield - needs major surgery. We should be in the market for 3 new players. A wide player; a creative type and I still think we need a leader in the middle. Jury very much out on Thomson.

Westlake, Currie, Racon on loan ?? We were after that bloke from Chesterfield…?

Striker - no real competition for Forster or Murray and what happens if they are injured? Robinson is not and never will be a goalscorer and Dixon is totally unproven at league 1 level so we need to buy another quality striker.

So 6 or 7 good signings needed if seriously going to push on.

Time's up for Butters, Loft, Mayo and Hart.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would pretty much agree with Mr Barnet Seagull.

Our squad is quite weak when you take away the loan signings. I have not included those yet to make an appearance this term.

GK
M Kuipers
J Sullivan

Full-Backs
K Mayo
A Whing
S Rents

Centre Backs
G Butters
A El-Abd
T Elphick
A Hinshelwood
J Lynch

Midfielders
W Fogden
T Fraser
G Hart
D Loft
S McFaul
D Cox
S Chamberlain
P Reid
J Robinson
S Thomson

Strikers
N Forster
J Dixon
J Gatting
G Murray

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It depends on who is coming and who is going. We shouldn't presume that the players currently under contract will still be here by the beginning of next season...after all, who'dve thought that Alex Revell would no longer be an Albion player this time last year?

I reckon we need

another experienced GK to challenge FDM
two new full backs(both sides)
another striker who has a proven track record at this level and not a punt on a youngster or a player coming to the end of their career(i'm not yet convinced about Murray and Forster will be 35 next season)
two new wingers

I think that provided El-Abd is fit and accepts a contract, he is a catalyst for us next year because of his adaptability...The same can be said for Lynch.

We desparately need to trim down the squad next season and it's now time for DK to be ruthless...Anything other than that, he and Wilkins will appear weak at a time when next season, we as supporters will demand a top 6 finish. By cutting down squad numbers and bringing in more quality players, we will have a realistic chance of autmatic promotion to the championship for the 09/10 season, which has to be a goal that the club should acheive.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I thought his substitution and team tactical changes after half time were excellent last night.

Too bad he clearly hadn't done his homework in the first place. You could see we were giving there centre backs far too much time to stroke the ball about and push forward with ease and under no pressure.

Maybe he had done his homework but the players were still pissed form the hotel to understand.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Ah, it is that time of year where we get round to people calling for a creative midfielder to be signed.

Is there actually such a thing? Gone are the days even at international level of the creative players in the mould of Gazza, Maradona, Hagi etc.

Midfielders have changed. Teams now tend to have a players like Viera or Gerrard who can get from box to box, tackle, pass and have a bit of height.

We did have a player like that, how could get from box to box, tackle, pass and had some height, but he somehow went to Colchester, so rather than people calling for a 'creative' midfielder, which is something that does not really exist, we should be looking to replace Hammond, however these sort of players are rare and like strikers with some idea of how to put the ball in the net, tend to cost a bit.

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
We did have a player like that, but he somehow went to Colchester, so rather than people calling for a 'creative' midfielder, which is something that does not really exist, we should be looking to replace Hammond, however these sort of players are rare and like strikers with some idea of how to put the ball in the net, tend to cost a bit.

Hammond?? Creative?? Ha ha ha, that's brightened my day up no end!! :lolol:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
our last 3 central midfielders, Racon, Thomson and El Abd are all put in the team to break up the opposition attack before it gets to the defence.

The problem is they offer very little in attacking option, meaning we only have 4 players in the team that can attack.

We have no one that can drive forward from deep to join up with the attack, yesterday Southend had 3 players doing that and we couldnt cope

If we can get at least 1 midfielder that can push on (ie Hammond) we would look a diffrent outfit all together

Need a keeper, left back and left winger on top of that as priorities, then a striker too

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Left back
Left midfield
Right midfield
Centre midfield
Centre midfield
Striker

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Err, excuse me I did not say he was creative. I actually said that the creative midfielder was not really out there anymore, as in the centre, it tends to be more of the box to box midfielder, with height, which is what Hammond was.

So please read the comment before spouting off, theres a good chap.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

More so than any of the current lot i'd say - he was actually capable of dragging the ball out of defence and playing a through ball

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Agree with what you have said UB. Does anyone know anything about Levin? Is he a box-to-box workhorse?

As I understand he started off as a winger, who damaged his knee at Rangers and so has moved inside. It would suggest he lost a bit of pace.

I would say the big issue with our collection of central midfielders at present is that generally they are all inclined to sit fairly deep, so post Hammond we have been playing Cox in the centre of midfield but up the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here