Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Moises going? (Chelsea - 14/08/2023)

Where is Moises going?

• Total voters

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What make me laugh is Chelsea are trying every loophole to avoid FFP with the 8 yr contracts and now the suspect deals to Saudi and still finished mid table 🤣

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have an ever growing dislike and disdain for Romano so could you give a bit of background to this saga please?
Not Romano, per se, but I really don't get this desperation to be first with a transfer story. Without sounding like a grumpy old man, I much preferred the days when there was the odd rumour flying about but largely – especially with the Albion – players just arrived out of the blue and the first we heard of it was maybe on the day or the day before.

Now, it seems like goons such as (Not so)Fab are getting off on churning out stuff (albeit on some form of ITK level) to people who he knows will be hanging on his every word. Yes, there's clearly a demand for it (and yes, an element of it is agents being agents) from football fans but, for me, if a transfer happens, it happens. We all knew that Ali Mac was going to leave and we pretty much knew he'd be off to Liverpool. But the blow-by-blow account of his – and many others – transfer from initial contact between the two to 'HERE WE GO!!!!!!!' can get in the sea.

That's why, as much as people seem to hate him, Andy Naylor has my respect for doing his job – actually reporting on things that are happening – rather than making shit up. He knows it's not in his best interests to piss off the club he reports on – and he also knows he is often getting a more accurate picture by asking the club directly (even if it's what people don't want to hear).

Yours,

Disgruntled of Shoreham-by-Sea

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Arsenal in for Lavia as well as Rice. Hopefully forces Chelsea’s hand with Lavia to get him and leave Moises alone

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not Romano, per se, but I really don't get this desperation to be first with a transfer story. Without sounding like a grumpy old man, I much preferred the days when there was the odd rumour flying about but largely – especially with the Albion – players just arrived out of the blue and the first we heard of it was maybe on the day or the day before.

Now, it seems like goons such as (Not so)Fab are getting off on churning out stuff (albeit on some form of ITK level) to people who he knows will be hanging on his every word. Yes, there's clearly a demand for it (and yes, an element of it is agents being agents) from football fans but, for me, if a transfer happens, it happens. We all knew that Ali Mac was going to leave and we pretty much knew he'd be off to Liverpool. But the blow-by-blow account of his – and many others – transfer from initial contact between the two to 'HERE WE GO!!!!!!!' can get in the sea.

That's why, as much as people seem to hate him, Andy Naylor has my respect for doing his job – actually reporting on things that are happening – rather than making shit up. He knows it's not in his best interests to piss off the club he reports on – and he also knows he is often getting a more accurate picture by asking the club directly (even if it's what people don't want to hear).

Yours,

Naylor comes out with bullshit too, I understand there has been no contact between Liverpool and the Albion two days later he signs. We all knew it was going to happen.
Went down the same route with Cuntarella makes himself look daft.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Naylor comes out with bullshit too, I understand there has been no contact between Liverpool and the Albion two days later he signs. We all knew it was going to happen.
Naylor is a reliable source but it’s clear on occasion he’s a mouth piece for the club.

No contact for MacAllister get that in the media, clearly trying to entice other clubs to make a move for him and up his price.

They played it to perfection with Cucurella and Chelsea paid a stupid price. Ultimately in these situations the club wins but Naylor looks abit silly

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Naylor didn't say that there had been no contact, he said that no deal had been agreed.

That, at the time, was probably and most likely accurate. And this is where people get the whole 'he comes out with rubbish' from - because they read what they want to read, and misunderstand what has actually been written. They assume that 'no deal agreed'='No contact' which is very similar to what happened with the club last year.

They said 'no deal agreed with any club for cucurella' - they never said 'we're not ever selling him'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's probably because that's what the club told him when he asked – like I described before. His job, as a REPORTER, is to REPORT. He can only go on what he is told... If he's quoting his source as the club, then it's not bullshit from him, it's what the club is saying and he's just relaying it.

Also, if you want to be pedantic, the 'I understand' allows for the whole phrase to be subject to interpretation. He's not stating a fact, just his/the club's fact.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why do we refer to bigger and better club. Can't think of a better club to be at currently?
City, United, Liverpool, Real Madrid, PSG for examples are bigger and better clubs - trying to pretend otherwise is just daft. Even though we do win matches against them sometimes, 9 times out of 10 they will finish above us and win more trophies. Fact.
They also have more fans, and can pay their players far, far more than we can (and that alone makes them bigger and better in the eyes of players).

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Naylor is a reliable source but it’s clear on occasion he’s a mouth piece for the club.

No contact for MacAllister get that in the media, clearly trying to entice other clubs to make a move for him and up his price.

They played it to perfection with Cucurella and Chelsea paid a stupid price. Ultimately in these situations the club wins but Naylor looks abit silly
Not that I would describe it as a 'mouth piece', you know that's literally his job, right? He covers the stories at the club and his source is... the club itself.

He's got a pretty decent gig and he wouldn't want to jeopardise it, so why would he start going against what he'd been told?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That's probably because that's what the club told him when he asked – like I described before. His job, as a REPORTER, is to REPORT. He can only go on what he is told... If he's quoting his source as the club, then it's not bullshit from him, it's what the club is saying and he's just relaying it.

Also, if you want to be pedantic, the 'I understand' allows for the whole phrase to be subject to interpretation. He's not stating a fact, just his/the club's fact.
Isn’t a journalist meant to do some research of his own? The club are never going to spill their guts to Naylor from the Athletic or anyone else.
He’s been lead up the garden path before re Zamora and a few others along the way.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Isn’t a journalist meant to do some research of his own? The club are never going to spill their guts to Naylor from the Athletic or anyone else.
He’s been lead up the garden path before re Zamora and a few others along the way.
Sure – and from what I've seen that he's written about the existing players in the squad, he does that. But as 'Brighton and Hove Albion Correspondent' for the Athletic, he's also tasked with getting the latest information from the club. Which is what he does...

'The club are never going to spill their guts to Naylor from the Athletic or anyone else.'

Exactly, which is why you get chancers such as Romano and countless transfer rumour sites and 'experts' making shit up. Shit that, a lot of the time, comes to nothing. Which brings me back to my original point about not seeing the value in these stories flooding various different medias...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Yours,

old school reporting verses social media view farming.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sure – and from what I've seen that he's written about the existing players in the squad, he does that. But as 'Brighton and Hove Albion Correspondent' for the Athletic, he's also tasked with getting the latest information from the club. Which is what he does...

'The club are never going to spill their guts to Naylor from the Athletic or anyone else.'

Exactly, which is why you get chancers such as Romano and countless transfer rumour sites and 'experts' making shit up. Shit that, a lot of the time, comes to nothing. Which brings me back to my original point about not seeing the value in these stories flooding various different medias...
It’s big business which engages football fans in the summer months and brings listener numbers and viewing numbers to Sky and the likes of TS. The smaller journalists have now took it upon themselves to wage a Twitter war with the likes of FR to prove who is more in the know, all a bit childish tbh.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He comes across as a bit needy but Romano does seem to be more reliable than a lot of the talking heads on twitter.

For me -

Talking head rumour = ignore
Romano rumour = google the player wiki page
Naylor rumour = watch you tube highlights reel , go down player related rabbit holes on the internet

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Not that I would describe it as a 'mouth piece', you know that's literally his job, right? He covers the stories at the club and his source is... the club itself.

He's got a pretty decent gig and he wouldn't want to jeopardise it, so why would he start going against what he'd been told?
That’s exactly what I mean, the club are definitely his source, not disagreeing with that.

My point is that the club seem to use him to their advantage where necessary to drive up prices of our players

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Romano is usually broadly correct in what he says but likes to jump the gun in order to claim he got there first.

Naylor likes to dispute Romano (probably at the clubs behest half the time) on the details, but in doing so he does make himself look silly when the deals go through anyway a bit later.

It’s more about choosing which hill you want to die on. Is it worth going on about “no agreement yet” if there’s almost certain to be one two days later?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here