Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Moises going? (Chelsea - 14/08/2023)

Where is Moises going?

• Total voters

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Caicedo was a notable absentee from the PL Media Access day today, where all players get shot in full kit by a photographer ahead of the new season.

Could be an indication that a deal is close and the club don’t expect him to be around for much longer.
Not sure whether this is significant or not - strange that he wasn't involoved. I get the feeling the club still expect him to leave, perhaps that's why.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Caicedo was a notable absentee from the PL Media Access day today, where all players get shot in full kit by a photographer ahead of the new season.

Could be an indication that a deal is close and the club don’t expect him to be around for much longer.
How do you know this?

If Moises isn’t in the squad on Sunday then it’s good night viena me thinks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Except Caicedo signed a new contract in March, going from a player who was going to be out of contract in just over two years, to one who had given us until 2027 with an option for a year. We don't need the money, there is no release clause and we are fully aware that, at 21, and barring injury, his price is likely to go in only one direction.

Given that Rice went to Arsenal in the last year of his contract for £105m, and that Chelsea had dealt with us and seen us reject Man City over Cucu in similar circumstances last year, they should have been clear that Brighton were never going to deal unless they were blown away by the size of the offer. The only way that lowballing and gradually increasing was going to work was if the player was willing to burn his bridges.

He did sign a contract, but that didn't stop De Zerbi publically saying he expected Caicedo to go. If the manager is expecting a player to go, it's not screaming 'we're keeping him unless we are blown away by the size of the offer'. It says we're open to doing a deal. He wouldn't be the first player to sign a contract in January only to move on in the summer. Hell, Willian signed a new deal with Fulham and was sold less than a fortnight later.

Deals are complex, and fees are not always logical when you compare players. All sorts of things come into play. Rice has more experience and shown longer term premier league quality, he also has European club experience and a european trophy winners medal (albeit the europa conference), he plays a different position and has the benefit of being a HGP. Don't get me wrong, I think Caicedo is better, but then I would, I'm a Brighton fan. But when it comes to fees, a club looking to buy from Brighton might not have the same blue tinted glasses as us, may view proven experience above potential, or a more attacking midfielder as worth more than a defensive one, or might view the Arsenal fees as inflated for some other reason (feels silly to suggest a london rivalry playing a part, but then people are suggesting signing a tenth person from us might make us more likely to do Chelsea a favour in the Caicedo deal, so who knows what is silly in these discussions). They might not put stock in a contract length when the manager has openly spoken of losing him in the summer.

If you accept the common belief that prices get inflated in January, matching a January bid, albeit one that was turned down, isn't exactly lowballing (especially when you consider it was the second or third bid from Arsenal in that window).

At this stage, it seems that Moises, a young lad thousands of miles from home, is playing alongside a cadre of Spanish-speaking South American friends, one of whom is a senior colleague in his national side, is learning under an exciting manager in a very supportive environment, in a team that is going to give him European experience, and although he may want his chance at the big money prize, he may not be prepared to burn all of this to get it immediately. If that's true, he's either sensible, well advised or both. If it's not this summer, his chance will undoubtedly come again and next time around, it could be with a team that wins League titles rather than one that used to getting on for a decade ago, when their previous owner's wealth had no competition from Nation States.

I don't dispute any of that, but that is more about where Moises' head is, rather than whether Chelsea's approach can be called a fiasco.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Moises isn’t in the squad on Sunday then it’s good night viena me thinks.

What's happening Sunday?

Right now he's probably not sure where he's playing next year. It wouldn't be a surprise if this is quite a big distraction for him, and he's given time off while either an agreement is reached or it's confirmed he's staying.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What's happening Sunday?

Right now he's probably not sure where he's playing next year. It wouldn't be a surprise if this is quite a big distraction for him, and he's given time off while either an agreement is reached or it's confirmed he's staying.
Friendly.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Errrm...

SeaGullBum

Aug 4, 2023
Talkshite reckon £90m Incoming, but will be Rejected.

If I was TB I'd be livid, I'd be pulling out of negotiations and telling them you've had ample time to bid £100m, so fk off, door's closed stop wasting our time.

I'd also be relaying it to Moises, part of this is you're braindead agent looking for a get rich Scheme, and not giving you a release clause.

I Wish it was Arsenal we we're dealing with, much more likable club.

I'd also say it's Chelsea's fault for waiting till Arsenal bought rice, they always knew we we're going to price Moises at whatever price rice went for or more as he's just as good if not better.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Talkshite reckon £90m Incoming, but will be Rejected.

If I was TB I'd be livid, I'd be pulling out of negotiations and telling them you've had ample time to bid £100m, so fk off, door's closed stop wasting our time.

I'd also be relaying it to Moises, part of this is you're braindead agent looking for a get rich Scheme, and not giving you a release clause.

I Wish it was Arsenal we we're dealing with, much more likable club.

I'd also say it's Chelsea's fault for waiting till Arsenal bought rice, they always knew we we're going to price Moises at whatever price rice went for or more as he's just as good if not better.
It’s just as well they’ve got the inside track from Winstanley. Imagine what a mess their bidding strategy would be if they hadn’t taken him.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Except Caicedo signed a new contract in March, going from a player who was going to be out of contract in just over two years, to one who had given us until 2027 with an option for a year. We don't need the money, there is no release clause and we are fully aware that, at 21, and barring injury, his price is likely to go in only one direction.

Given that Rice went to Arsenal in the last year of his contract for £105m, and that Chelsea had dealt with us and seen us reject Man City over Cucu in similar circumstances last year, they should have been clear that Brighton were never going to deal unless they were blown away by the size of the offer. The only way that lowballing and gradually increasing was going to work was if the player was willing to burn his bridges. At this stage, it seems that Moises, a young lad thousands of miles from home, is playing alongside a cadre of Spanish-speaking South American friends, one of whom is a senior colleague in his national side, is learning under an exciting manager in a very supportive environment, in a team that is going to give him European experience, and although he may want his chance at the big money prize, he may not be prepared to burn all of this to get it immediately. If that's true, he's either sensible, well advised or both. If it's not this summer, his chance will undoubtedly come again and next time around, it could be with a team that wins League titles rather than one that used to getting on for a decade ago, when their previous owner's wealth had no competition from Nation States.
You're my go to sensible poster! Just facts

SeaGullBum

Aug 4, 2023
If I was TB, I'd bump up the price now £5m for every failed bid, It's just becoming a farce from Chelsea, January should of told them this, we wont be bullied into a sale, we aren't going away from our Valuation. We did it with Trossard, We did it with White, and we did it Cucurella and we'll damn well do it with Moises.

Ain't our fault they paid £80m+ for our unwanted keeper and Cucurella, also ain't our fault they skewed the MF market with £106m on Enzo Fernandez.

Either give us £100m+ by mid August or he's not for sale.

Balls In our court, we have the player for another 4 years,

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think if they genuinely offer 90 we tell them game over this summer. The season starts next week. They've had all summer. The player has agreed personal terms. We sit him down with his agent and tell him Chelsea have had ample opportunity to sign him and they are taking the piss. He stays, we review on Jan.
It's ten million pounds for goodness sakes. They've just spent over twice that on a player refusing to play for us. Silly buggerism.

SeaGullBum

Aug 4, 2023
I think if they genuinely offer 90 we tell them game over this summer. The season starts next week. They've had all summer. The player has agreed personal terms. We sit him down with his agent and tell him Chelsea have had ample opportunity to sign him and they are taking the piss. He stays, we review on Jan.
It's ten million pounds for goodness sakes. They've just spent over twice that on a player refusing to play for us. Silly buggerism.
I'd be Vehemently pissed off if they're still sending in bids when the Season starts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here