Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will they actually get it in their thick heads .....

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
They'll never accept a gun ban and this will continue to happen. As you say, stupid Americans.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Stupid Norwegians, Australians, Scottish, English, Germans? All peoples who've suffered incredibly awful school shooting massacres in my lifetime. Go ahead and bash America and Americans......

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I think what the OP is saying is that it happens a tad too often in the US.

It's not America bashing as you say. The stupid Americans refers to the Gun lobbyists and the Government for not having the bollocks to ban the general sale of guns. Therefore putting the lives of many yanks at risk.

Now shutup or I'll shoot you.

Dec 29, 2011
It's not as easy as 'banning guns'. In a country which is the size of Europe enforcement becomes very difficult. All it would do would increase the amount of gun robberies as people can't defend themselves, mass shooting would still happen as guns would be relatively easy to get hold of.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stupid Norwegians, Australians, Scottish, English, Germans? All peoples who've suffered incredibly awful school shooting massacres in my lifetime. Go ahead and bash America and Americans......

Actually look at the gun crime stats in the US compared to ANY other country in the western world. They are miles ahead.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

USA: 29 spree shootings in the last ten years.

It's not bashing, they have a problem that they refuse to address because it's political suicide to take on the NRA.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The answer is MORE guns. If every kid has a gun then there would be no bullying and shootings like this wouldn't occur...

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am waiting for a call for all teachers to be armed. In fact sod it. Arm the kids.

Shocking.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm all for the UK legislation that says you are not entitled to stab an already-unconscious intruder. That makes sense surely to everyone. If they're awake though, a machete to the neck is called for.

Easy access to weaponry is of course a serious problem in the US. Mostly in the name of defending oneself, that paranoid thought-process that i'm best to tool up and become an expert at firing just in case someone comes at me at some point in my life. When someone snaps, you don't really want them to have a full arsenal at their disposal. You want to make it as difficult as possible for any human being to have dangerous weaponry. Which is the same message many American politicians give when wishing to attack Iran or justify the latest Iraqi war.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Depressing that it's also the country that seems to want to tell the rest of the world what it can and can't do.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Michael Moore Filmmaker tweets: Just 18 hrs ago, those Republicans in the Michigan House rammed thru a bill making it LEGAL to carry a gun into a school or day care center.

Jon Williams World News Editor tweets: Truly shocking: in 2009 (latest yr) 31,347 killed by firearms in US. Almost as many as road accidents (via @MicahZenko)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Actually look at the gun crime stats in the US compared to ANY other country in the western world. They are miles ahead.

The number of firearms per person is far higher in countries like Canada but they have a fraction of the number of gun related deaths than the US have.

Firearm ownership doesn't cause these incidents, maybe the other causes should be looked into and hopefully more solutions found. Its far too easy for people to jump on the band wagon and simply blame gun ownership for these types of incidents.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
USA: 29 spree shootings in the last ten years.

It's not bashing, they have a problem that they refuse to address because it's political suicide to take on the NRA.

Christ is it that many really? We had Hungerford and Dunblane and they both ensured that the UK have some of the toughest gun laws and is one of the most difficult places in the world to source and own a gun. So much so that our police are not routinely armed and still generally dont need to be. It seems that gunmen regularly going on killing sprees in schools, colleges & universities does nothing to dampen American's enthusiasm for guns - what a f***ed up nation.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

The difference is we make changes to our legislation after an atrocity but the Septics still follow their rulings from the 17 and 1800's. right to bear arms..... Can't change their amendments..... f*** me throw them a Biro.....wankers.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
I don't suppose people in Newhaven ever have a need to use Apple, Microsoft, Dell, Disney, HP, GE, Boeing or Ford (to name a few) products created by stupid Americans......Insular, racially and politically divided, with too many pockets of shocking poverty and unacceptable levels of education. They're definitely guilty. Could be Croydon I'm describing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interestingly, there was a similar event in China today, but the difference is that children were only wounded because the lunatic attacker only had a knife. So, although horrifying, 22 children will live thanks to the fact that the Chinese do not " have the right to bear arms "

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Some cold, hard statistics:

FIREARMS MURDERS AND CIVILIAN GUN OWNERSHIP

England and Wales
3,400,000 civilian firearms - 6.2 for every 100 people
Ranked 88 in the world for civilian gun ownership

In the latest year, there were 41 homicides by firearm - 0.07 per 100,000 population. 6.6% of all homicides are by firearm

---

United States
270,000,000 civilian firearms - 88.8 for every 100 people
Ranked 1 in the world for civilian gun ownership

In the latest year, there were 9,146 homicides by firearm - 2.97 per 100,000 population. 60% of all homicides are by firearm

---

Brazil
14,840,000 civilian firearms - 8 for every 100 people
Ranked 75 in the world for civilian gun ownership

In the latest year, there were 34,678 homicides by firearm - 18.1 per 100,000 population. 70.8% of all homicides are by firearm

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The number of firearms per person is far higher in countries like Canada but they have a fraction of the number of gun related deaths than the US have.

Firearm ownership doesn't cause these incidents, maybe the other causes should be looked into and hopefully more solutions found. Its far too easy for people to jump on the band wagon and simply blame gun ownership for these types of incidents.

Not sure why you assume I completely disagree with you. My only point was that America IS a special case, the other chap was suggesting other westernised countries are just as bad which is bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here