Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When Premier League matches are played behind closed doors

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Nottingham Forest owner who visited their game this weekend, shook hand with players etc, announced he is infected. Its pretty difficult to imagine that they will be playing this next week.

Its pretty difficult to see how the current "business as usual" attitude could go on for much longer.

Forest haven't confirmed who he met/shook hands with, but loads from the club should probably go into self-isolation now.

Big story. I think we'll hear much more about this later today.

sounds like my original thought that they would play behind closed doors was wrong, they seem to think it's going to be less of a problem partly as the game is played in the open air and even if they did close the gates people would just accummulate somewhere else.

But that's not the problem for me. I'm 73 and therefore more at risk than many others although I don't have much in the way of underlying health problems. I'm not concerned about going to the game but I am concerned about getting on a jammed train from Eastbourne to Falmer and back. I wouldn't go on any public transport till this dies down, unless I have to.

Which is why I won't be going to the Arsenal game and probably not any other game this season.

I'm not normally paranoid about these things but it seems a bit daft to put myself in a situation where I could be at risk, albeit a small one.

So sorry guys, you'll have to do without me for the rest of the season. Don't let me down!

SAC

May 21, 2014
sounds like my original thought that they would play behind closed doors was wrong, they seem to think it's going to be less of a problem partly as the game is played in the open air and even if they did close the gates people would just accummulate somewhere else.

But that's not the problem for me. I'm 73 and therefore more at risk than many others although I don't have much in the way of underlying health problems. I'm not concerned about going to the game but I am concerned about getting on a jammed train from Eastbourne to Falmer and back. I wouldn't go on any public transport till this dies down, unless I have to.

Which is why I won't be going to the Arsenal game and probably not any other game this season.

I'm not normally paranoid about these things but it seems a bit daft to put myself in a situation where I could be at risk, albeit a small one.

So sorry guys, you'll have to do without me for the rest of the season. Don't let me down!

Makes sense, although you may change your mind if the Newcastle game is make or break!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
French league games to be played without fans until at least April 15, joining Spain. No games at all in Italy.

As you were in England, for now...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
.. and so it should continue. Life goes on, it would be a bad precedent to set to postpone games or hold them behind closed doors.

Keep calm and carry on. Anyone at high risk would be well advised to stay away if they're concerned but the decision shouldn't be made on anyone's behalf. If the virus were a genuine death threat to otherwise healthy people it would be a totally different story - but it isn't. So, carry on.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Think we'll be lucky to get the Arsenal game in, and if we do, that'll be it.

Looking at Italy's now complete ban on sporting events, you'd imagine they'll postpone Euro 2020 to next summer and finish the season over the summer months.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
.. and so it should continue. Life goes on, it would be a bad precedent to set to postpone games or hold them behind closed doors.

Keep calm and carry on. Anyone at high risk would be well advised to stay away if they're concerned but the decision shouldn't be made on anyone's behalf. If the virus were a genuine death threat to otherwise healthy people it would be a totally different story - but it isn't. So, carry on.

It's a potential pandemic, that has killed plenty of low-risk, young, healthy people already. So yes, it is a genuine death threat.

However, the closing of public congregations is all about minimizing the spread. The infection rate is skyrocketing and at some point soon, with the current trajectory of new cases, we will be unable to cope with the sheer volume of people needing treatment. If you slow the spread down by closing doors or postponing games, you allow the medical services to spread their response and thus save lives.

It's also not something that will be stopped by "spirit" or a state of mind. We shouldn't "carry on", but neither should we panic. Our behaviour needs to change to help minimize the spread of the virus and effects. Washing hands properly won't help you if an infected party sneezes on you but it will minimize the opportunity for the virus to spread if you touch an infected surface.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

Thanks, Dr Elephant. (Stunning ignorance, btw)

dr-ele.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's a potential pandemic, that has killed plenty of low-risk, young, healthy people already. So yes, it is a genuine death threat.

However, the closing of public congregations is all about minimizing the spread. The infection rate is skyrocketing and at some point soon, with the current trajectory of new cases, we will be unable to cope with the sheer volume of people needing treatment. If you slow the spread down by closing doors or postponing games, you allow the medical services to spread their response and thus save lives.

It's also not something that will be stopped by "spirit" or a state of mind. We shouldn't "carry on", but neither should we panic. Our behaviour needs to change to help minimize the spread of the virus and effects. Washing hands properly won't help you if an infected party sneezes on you but it will minimize the opportunity for the virus to spread if you touch an infected surface.

Really?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why should football be shutdown for the fans, while a fair few 100,000's can still congregate in Cheltenham for the horses?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think there is a pretty good chance the league won’t get to run it’s course this season now. It’s only going to take a few teams to be in self isolation to cause havoc. Going to be fun seeing how the league manage the relegation/promotion issues if that’s the case.

Unfortunately it looks like Liverpool will still have won the league by the time it gets to that stage.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That's news to me - is that true? :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/mar/09/who-says-threat-of-coronavirus-pandemic-very-real-video?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The mortality rate is only about 0.5% of under 40s who have contracted the virus so far and young people are way less likely to get pneumonia but if government sources are led to be believed (up to 1/5 of population contracting Covid-19 plastered all over the front pages last week) that mortality rate would imply around 32,000 under 40s dying in the UK alone.

My point, was about minimising the opportunities for the virus to be passed - something we should all be thinking about. If we are able to slow the speed of infection down then those infected will have a much better chance of good healthcare and therefore surviving. If people cannot be treated in a good response time due to issues with capacity they will have a lower chance of survival.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think there is a pretty good chance the league won’t get to run it’s course this season now. It’s only going to take a few teams to be in self isolation to cause havoc. Going to be fun seeing how the league manage the relegation/promotion issues if that’s the case.

Unfortunately it looks like Liverpool will still have won the league by the time it gets to that stage.

I feel the PL should say "nah, its not fair to go by points to determine final standings - too circumstantial. We got the modern way, with data".

I hope they go with one of the following metrics:

Free kick assists:
1. Brighton - 3
2. Chelsea, Saints, Villa, Liverpool, West Ham - 2

Own goals for:
1. Brighton - 4
2. Sheffield United - 3
Bunch of teams on 2

Shots against inside percentage18 yard box:
1. Brighton - 62%
2. Southampton / Everton - 60%
4. West Ham/Man City/Chelsea - 59%

Possesion loss: Unsuccessful touches
1. Southampton - 524
2. Brighon - 495
3. Newcastle United - 476
4. Everton - 473

Shots - Body part "Other":
1. Southampton - 5
2. Villa/Everton - 4
4. Brighton - 3

Inaccurate short passes (5th in accurate):
1. Southampton - 2000
2. Liverpool - 1968
3. Brighton - 1904
4. Chelsea - 1891

Key passes Long:
1. Burnley - 62
2, Liverpool - 58
3. Chelsea - 57
4. Brighton - 55

Saves from shots inside penalty area:
1. Newcastle - 66
2. West Ham - 62
3. Brighton - 62
4. Watford/Spurs - 59

Discipline (y/r):
1. Liverpool 26/1
2. Leicester 31/1
3. Southampton 42/2
4. Brighton & Wolverhmpton - 45/2

And I hope they avoid the following:

Shots from counters (per game):
18. Brighton 0,3
19. Norwich 0,2
20. Burnley 0,1

Throughball key passes:
18. Brighton, Palace, Burnley - 6
19 Aston Villa - 5
20. Watford - 4

Goals from counter:
19. Newcastle, Villa, West Ham, Palace, Brighton - 1
20. Norwich - 0

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I feel the PL should say "nah, its not fair to go by points to determine final standings - too circumstantial. We got the modern way, with data".

I hope they go with one of the following metrics:

Possesion loss: Unsuccessful touches
1. Southampton - 524
2. Brighon - 495
3. Newcastle United - 476
4. Everton - 473

Aaron Mooy is responsible for 452 of those, by my reckoning.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think we're being way too casual, need to play all games from now behind closed doors.

Look at Spain, France & Italy its coming our way..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here