Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When Premier League matches are played behind closed doors

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Been thinking whether any clubs would object to such a move and push for postponement rather than closed door matches.

For example if I was TB/PB I’d certainly argue that possibly having games against Man Utd and Arsenal at home in an empty stadium would disadvantage us.

When there is so much to lose, I can’t imagine it being as straightforward as just playing them behind closed doors and everyone is happy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I've said before, it could get really "interesting" when a club is severely weakened by a number of infections within their ranks. What then?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
As I've said before, it could get really "interesting" when a club is severely weakened by a number of infections within their ranks. What then?

Surely it would have to lead to the early ending of the season. If the incubation period of the virus takes in a teams couple of match days that could lead to 2 or 3 teams picking up infections.
You cant say it could infect 80% and then that that figute wont translate to footballers

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Been thinking whether any clubs would object to such a move and push for postponement rather than closed door matches.

For example if I was TB/PB I’d certainly argue that possibly having games against Man Utd and Arsenal at home in an empty stadium would disadvantage us.

When there is so much to lose, I can’t imagine it being as straightforward as just playing them behind closed doors and everyone is happy.

Objecting would not be an option.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

That rather depends on whether it's a top six club or the likes of us, shirley?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
From what I heard having people go to the pub instead would likely be worse?

Very true.

Much of the issue in Northern Italy arose out of people virtually on top on one another in skiing chalets.

Far less of a problem being out in the fresh air. Just need to relax the no alcohol in seats rule, given that alcohol wards off the virus and everything can can carry on.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Need to combine it with bans on pubs showing games.

I should imagine that any pub/brewery will see this as a business opportunity, unless it be decreed from above that such gatherings become temporarily unlawful.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I should imagine that any pub/brewery will see this as a business opportunity, unless it be decreed from above that such gatherings become temporarily unlawful.

If PL games are played behind closed doors, there's talk of Sky/BT showing games for FREE and pubs being BLOCKED from showing games (for obvious reasons).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I attended our monthly committee meeting at Horsham YMCA FC last night, only to find that three fellow committee members were forced to send their apologies for absence, as the company that they worked for had banned their employees from attending group gatherings, however small, due to Covid19.

A trifle OTT in my opinion

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I attended our monthly committee meeting at Horsham YMCA FC last night, only to find that three fellow committee members were forced to send their apologies for absence, as the company that they worked for had banned their employees from attending group gatherings, however small, due to Covid19.

A trifle OTT in my opinion

Does a company have that the right to ban its employees from group gatherings, especially when Government advice is that it's ok to attend such gatherings? I would not be impressed if my company tried to ban me from attending Brighton v Arsenal on Saturday.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nottingham Forest owner who visited their game this weekend, shook hand with players etc, announced he is infected. Its pretty difficult to imagine that they will be playing this next week.

Its pretty difficult to see how the current "business as usual" attitude could go on for much longer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here