Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When i was a kid-a bygone era.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Have to say that these types of OT thread are what makes NSC the best and this one couldn't have been better timed to bring a wee nostalgic smile

.................so I will add

The West End Cafe at Hove Lagoon by the pitch & putt

Maccabi Youth Club off Sackville Road

Spangles "Old Fashioned" flavour

and watching Martlets games at the County Ground for free for something to do in the holidays

Anyone remenber the "A" & "B" Buttons in the old phone boxes?
And I can still remember the code that you could use to connect to the Speaking Clock service in Switzerland - which was free of charge (unlike the UK version). And in French. And in a different time zone. But FREE.

It was also possible to dial London numbers from Brighton, by hopping through a series of local call codes, and getting the call at the local charge rate, rather than having to pay the STD charge. That's a number I can't remember, though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

southasp

Jan 24, 2009
portslade
You have called the seagull line 8049 the number for Albion information every day 24 hours a day.
God knows why I remember the number and the opening recorded message.
Not sure if I am correct but I think it was Tony Millard doing the talking.
Late 70s early 80s ?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
James,is there anyway u could change the caravan colour? i love it-i would if i could go for yellow

PS it's CHRYSTAL PHALLACE :lolol:

My photoshop skills don't extend to typefonts, otherwise I'd have been all over it.

I've decided to keep the avatar, it's starting to amuse me. It's a unintentional fishing trip of sorts, it doesn't matter how innocent or innocuous my posts are, I'm still getting grief :lol:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Oh dear. Where to begin :(

1. Telephone Party Lines

2. Black and white television in a cabinet with a 9" screen

3. the three farthing trolley bus fare from Brighton Station to Lewes Road

4. Tamplins' Brewery in Paston Place, Kemp Town

5. Sugar and tea measured out and sold in waxed paper bags

6. the miniature Southdown coaches at Peter Pans' Playground

7. Four blackjacks or fruit salad for an old penny

8. The Victor and The Hotspur

9. Saturday Morning Pictures

10. The annual Milk Fair on Hove Lawns by the King Alfred
First memory was watching the RAF taking apart the Lutwaffe over the coast and all the white trails scarring the blue sky. Our back garden sloped upwards and we had an Anderson shelter which showed about 3 ft above the surface. I stood up there to watch the planes and a fighter...not sure whether it was a Hurricane or a Spitfire,as he flew over he waggled the wings. Behind us were allotments...now Hollingdean.We had a bomb land in the middle of our road...(Dudley Rd) and blew our radio across the room and cracked the casing though it did not break the valves. That radio was in our family till 1957.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Apologies if any repeats on here..

Pressing Play and Record buttons on portable mono player to record the Sunday night charts from the radio onto a C-90 cassette.
Later replaced by a monolithic PYE home stereo with silver facia in a brown cabinet with an unfathomable array of dials and needles illuminated by a faint green light. This heralded the dawning of what was considered the home equivalent of NASA in my house with the arrival of..... Hi Speed Dubbing on the tape to tape deck.

Fish and chips every Friday
Pubs closing in the afternoons for hours
Shops closed on Wednesday afternoons
School on Saturday mornings
Cubs (this still compulsory?)
The egg and bread van
The sweet van
stickers

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My photoshop skills don't extend to typefonts, otherwise I'd have been all over it.

I've decided to keep the avatar, it's starting to amuse me. It's a unintentional fishing trip of sorts, it doesn't matter how innocent or innocuous my posts are, I'm still getting grief :lol:

Many hours of fun to be had.....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Brunswick Bowling Alley at Hove Station

Brighton Boys at the Greyhound Stadium on Saturday mornings-followed by the Albion at 3pm.

All games kicking off at 3 o/c on Saturdays

Getting the cane from Beaky at Middle Road School

Ice Blue jeans

Cossack hair spray for men

Beer and Spirits being sold in the South West corner of The Goldstone

Radio Luxembourg

Real Pirate Radio-Caroline, London, England and Stuart Henry on Radio Scotland at night if the atmospherics were right.

Lyon's Maid Ice Cream vans

Plimsols

British Bulldog

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gibb's SR tooth powder.

Having a Grundig 4-track reel to reel tape recorder (and recording off the radio on it)
Birdspotting, and climbing trees to get eggs (not rare ones).
Pet lizards and slow-worms
Fishing off the threepenny bit in Shoreham Harbour, and having to scarper as the tide came up and submerged much of it.
Walking the Downs in areas we knew nothing about, and tracks that went to mysterious trails....then hoping to find the way back eventually.
Putting the bicycle through all kinds of puddles and chalk tracks, and not buckling the wheels.
Farthings.... and you could buy some sweets for a farthing. 3d sherbets.
Making a 'Guy' for fireworks night.
Mate's big brother did a pirate radio broadcast.
crystal radio set that I made myself.
Making a 'go-kart' out of an old pram and some boxwood.
making a bow and arrow from branches and string.
digging bait in the mud on the Adur

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Selotaping a playing card to the frame of your bike, so when the wheel spokes hit it, it sounded like a motorbike...

:facepalm:

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
having to get up to change the channel on the telly. I was the remote control in our house!

Rediffusion - the dial changer was on the wall. Do these still exist in Brighton?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here