Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What's your solution to Brighton's litter problem?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yup, as you know you are wrong and can not back anything up.

image.jpeg

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I really do worry about some people's blood pressure given the way they post on here.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So wrong. This is a political thread. The reason for the litter is a political one: underfunding of councils and low wages of workers, the complete lack and uninterset of reducing packaging, lack of recycling facilities, underfunding of schools and education...the list is endless. But don't go pretending this thread is not political just so you can keep up your pathetic trolling of me.

You are way off the mark. Politics have absolutely nothing to do with littering. It is all down to attitude. You either have respect for your country and its surrounds, or you don't. Children don't start out being litter louts. They are not allowed to drop rubbish at school and they are not allowed to make a mess at home. Unfortunately, that good grounding is lost because of the example set by parents. Once outside the home, different rules apply for a lot of people. Children see their parents leaving litter and rubbish all over the place and are influenced. These are the people who adopt the attitude that someone gets paid for picking up their litter. Sadly, they don't have the intelligence to realise that the person picking up litter has to be funded by the taxpayer. i.e themselves.
This lack of respect has manifested itself in a scruffy, dirty, litter strewn nation. The countryside is bespoiled by flytipping. Whole swathes are burnt down by discarded cigarette ends or barbeques. Rivers, streams and canals are polluted and act as dumping grounds for all manner of waste. They just don't care. Its nothing to do with politics. Its whether you care about your country, its nature and the health and safety and welfare of every one and everything in it. Clearly, a lot of people don't.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its mostly groups of young lads or girls who see littering as a bit of an act of rebellion. I'm sure all of them are told by their parents that they shouldn't litter, but when they are together in a group its seen as cool or hard to throw your bottles and cans on the floor, effectively saying, hey look at me - I don't do as I'm told. As a result, their social standing in the group is raised. You see this wherever groups of kids gather. Somehow, and I've no idea how, this needs to be turned around so it becomes uncool to throw your bottles away. Its almost as if we need some sort of reverse psychology, so that its seen as rebellious to pick up your litter. How to achieve this though is completely beyond me.

I wish that were generally true but I am afraid it isn't.
33 tonnes of rubbish was not left on Bournemouth beach by mostly groups of young lads or girls. It was a complete cross-section of those that have no respect for their surrounds and simply don't care. No one should have to clean up faeces, that were found everywhere on that beach. Pee and poo ridden clothing discarded everywhere. No respect for health and safety. Just leave it there and someone else will clear it up. An ugly reminder that we live in a society of divided standards. People who keep their house and home clean and tidy and then behave like animals, once outside. Very strange.

we should ship it to turkey for free for them to recycle :) sorry just been watching a news item about tesco plastic bags and KFC & Macds food boxes being found in recycling plants in Turkey. Seems some councils are paying unscrupulous companies to send our rubbish abroad to be recycled but they cant cope with what they already get and so its just dumped for landfill to rot. 5/6 year old kids then being made to riffle through it by their parents to extract the useful stuff. NOt sure who is worse, their parents for exposin their children to potential harm from rotting food, broken glass etc, or us as a nation for needing to offload our waste because we ar running out of room to dispose of it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You are way off the mark. Politics have absolutely nothing to do with littering. It is all down to attitude. You either have respect for your country and its surrounds, or you don't. Children don't start out being litter louts. They are not allowed to drop rubbish at school and they are not allowed to make a mess at home. Unfortunately, that good grounding is lost because of the example set by parents. Once outside the home, different rules apply for a lot of people. Children see their parents leaving litter and rubbish all over the place and are influenced. These are the people who adopt the attitude that someone gets paid for picking up their litter. Sadly, they don't have the intelligence to realise that the person picking up litter has to be funded by the taxpayer. i.e themselves.
This lack of respect has manifested itself in a scruffy, dirty, litter strewn nation. The countryside is bespoiled by flytipping. Whole swathes are burnt down by discarded cigarette ends or barbeques. Rivers, streams and canals are polluted and act as dumping grounds for all manner of waste. They just don't care. Its nothing to do with politics. Its whether you care about your country, its nature and the health and safety and welfare of every one and everything in it. Clearly, a lot of people don't.

And perhaps this has gone on for generations because it was even worse in the ‘70s. It is political because we’ve already seen a 5p tax on plastic bags has transformed bag usage and waste because people reuse their bags - good solid politicos influencing behaviour.

Brighton is a thriving tourist destination serving all kinds of take away and convenience food in packaging from the station to the piers. It earns businesses good money who in turn pay good business rates. As with the plastic bags with the right policies you can influence behaviour. I think the facilities at the beach and in Brighton as a whole are inadequate. If you make a city look tidy it will be kept more tidy, but you have to do your bit to make it clean and tidy in the first place.

Our obsession with wide roads narrow pavements and even smaller bins doesn’t help. Needs a more holistic approach. You’re never going to change the absolute scumbags who have existed through time, so you need the policies to pick up after them, because if you don’t, more people will think it’s fine.

The more you look after something, the more everyone else does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here