Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your shortest stay in any one country?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
If not getting off a through train counts then it would have to be when I took the one from Marseilles to Italy which stops in Monaco for a couple of minutes before going on its way.
In the same vien it takes not very long to pass through France on the Eurostar to Brussels including the stop at Lille.
Have also done the motorway dash from the Tunnel to the Belgian border en-route to Bruges or Antwerp a few times.

The shortest time i've spent in a country i'd purposely intended to visit would have to be Helsingborg, Sweden which is a short ferry ride from Helsingor, Denmark. It was a day trip from Copenhagen about 20 years ago. But Helsingborg was so dull I was on the next ferry back to Denmark within the hour and spent more time in Hamlet's Castle (Helsingor=Elsinore). Still haven't been back to Sweden.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I once drove from Germany into Luxembourg, on into Belgium, and back into Germany, all in the space of about 20 minutes.

I saw quite a lot of Khazakstan from a train, but only spent fifteen minutes with my feet on the ground there, when the train stopped at Petropavl (or Petropavlovsk, as it was called at the time).

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Feet on the ground in Khazakstan, sir? What, all the time, sir?

Attachments

• morris2.jpg
    morris2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 83

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I know you said not stopover/transfers BUT when flying to New Zealand via LA I had to queue for 1 3/4 hours to go thru US immigration, got thru, and immediately had to hand the rest of my green card back to re board the plane. The cunts wouldn't even let me have a slash :angry:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Drove to Wales and back from Brighton in a day one crazy time. Some kind of playoff football match.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I once drove from Germany into Luxembourg, on into Belgium, and back into Germany, all in the space of about 20 minutes.

I've walked that little trio in about one minute. To do it any quicker than that though you'd have to roll up your trouser legs and get wet as the actual point where the three countries meet is in the middle of a river.

Which brings me to today's boring and pointless trivia: other languages have a word for these remarkable little singularities where three or more countries join together (in German it's a Dreiländereck; in Dutch a drielandenpunt), yet we don't in English? Why? Because if you think about it, virtually no significant Anglophone countries have any: the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand can't muster up a single one of the little buggers between them. Of large English-speaking lands, only South Africa has any at all.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
15 minutes in USA. Was crossing from Canada, got told to stay in customs or border control, whatever it's called, was then interviewed for about 10 minutes, had to have my picture taken, prints taken, and then got sent back to Canada.

We were on a family trip, and only wanted to step into the States to say we'd been there!

not sure that actually counts though as isnt the area between border controls not actually in a country.

Mine is an afternoon in Gibralter and about half an hour on a coach in Germany whilst travellingfrom the Airport in Austria to the ski resort

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
About 20 years ago I was driving a minibus of guys back from Amsterdam when we missed the turn-off for the ferry port and accidently ended up in Belgium. We turned round at the first junction so were probably in the country for about 5-10 minutes (though it seemed much longer as it was getting a bit tight to catch the ferry). That's what happens when the navigator is the only non-driver in the group and he's using the back of the ferry ticket for the map. Then it was pedal to the metal all the way to the ferry port arriving by the skin of our teeth.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And today's border-related teaser question:

How long is the land border between the Netherlands and France?

twentysevenmillionthreehundredandfiftyninethousandtwohundredandfivepointthreetwosixcentimeters

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here