Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your shortest stay in any one country?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Botswana....we drove over the border, two minutes later there was a body in the road of some unfortunate african, we turned around and drove back over the border.

15 minutes top whack

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
15 minutes in Burma to renew my visa. I bought valium, viagara and the worst cigarettes in the world.

Edit - this very neatly sums up my experience.

Last edited:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
About 1-2 hours in Belgium

Went to see Oasis in Lille, flew to Brussels hired a car and intended to spend the first day in Brussels, however after driving in the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road i decided Brussels was too busy and had too many looney drivers and so turned around, got back on the motorway and gave myself time to get used to the car and roads all the way to Lille. :blush:

Oct 25, 2003
has no-one been to ROME? surely you can just hop in and out of the vatican! job done

for me it would be however long it takes to get from CALAIS to the belgian border.....not long is it? can't really remember

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
10 seconds in Zimbabwe.

I was on safari in Zambia and we were in a powered canoe going down the Zambesi (which separates Zambia and Zimbabawe) when the engine cut out, and our boat drifted towards the opposite shore.

I jumped out when we hit land, saw a f***ing huge crocodile nearby, pushed the boat off back into the river and that was the sum of my stay in the country.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
about 10 minutes in the USA.

For those that know Point Roberts it's a pointless sliver of the USA attached to the bottom of Canada (near Tsawassen, BC) cause it gets cut off at the 49th parallel border and is surrounded by water.

Family are in Canada but they have a boat that lives in Point Roberts, so literally went over the border, had to get a visa waiver and all that jazz just to see a boat and come back.

Here it is in all it's pointlessness

Google Maps

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
drove from Dubai to Hatta in UAE and passed through an Omani enclave for about 10 mins.

USA 10 minutes, I walked across into USA from Canada, dad had forgotten his passport, so I had a brief chat with Border guards ad returned back.

Whilst inter railing I must have spent minimal time in some countries,

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
15 mins in Liechtenstein- had a cup of coffee, took a pic and went back across the border to Switzerland.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
10 seconds in Zimbabwe.

I was on safari in Zambia and we were in a powered canoe going down the Zambesi (which separates Zambia and Zimbabawe) when the engine cut out, and our boat drifted towards the opposite shore.

I jumped out when we hit land, saw a f***ing huge crocodile nearby, pushed the boat off back into the river and that was the sum of my stay in the country.

A similar experience, but less than 10 seconds. About 3 seconds, sticking my left foot out of a Botswanan-based boat and plonking it down on Namibian soil. Never got out of the boat.

Did get out of a Mexican boat once and had a piss in Guatemala for about 15 seconds.

Plus several countries for about 1 second each whilst dicking about on various borders doing the 'ooh look I'm in two countries (sometimes three) at once' routine. My record is four countries at once (Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia & Namibia) for about half a second whilst crossing the Zambesi on a ferry. What do I win?

When researching my Luxembourg book I often accidentally went to France, Germany or Belgium - for as long as it took to turn the car around...

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Quite a few for me. We stopped at a service station In Luxembourg on a coach on the way to Germany on a school trip.

About 15 years ago i went on a cycling holiday with my family to Holland, and we were staying close to the Belgian border, so we briefly crossed over and had lunch there.

Finally, around 7 or 8 years ago me and my family had to fly back from the Dominican Republic early because of a familly bereavement. We had to change over in New Jersey (I think) for a few hours. (not sure if an airport counts tho)

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
I crossed into Germany once disguised as an onion seller. The Gestapo spotted me and I was forced to seek refuge under the dress of Madame Edith. I must have been there for only a minute or three.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
South Africa (Beit Bridge).............about an hour. They wouldn't let me stay as I didn't have enough money.

A bit frustrating after I had spent 9 months travelling overland to get there...LOL..!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here