Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's Woodingdean like to live in?

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Lived there for a year a few years back and have a brother and lots of cousins there. Absolutely fine - good areas and bad areas as in most places - the only thing that got me down was that if it was drizzling at the bottom of Bear Rd it would be an absolute pea-souper up there; like a set out of Sherlock Holmes. This does seem to hang across down into Falmer Rd which makes me fear for some of the fixtures at that place they're calling 'The Amex'.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Very wide ranging,I have lived here since 86. you have mainly the council tenants at the top end and the private at the middle and bottom.
Value wise small two bed start at £180K going to to larger houses getting up to 500k
is mainly two bed houses or Bungalows, very few 3+ bed houses.
we like it here, far enough away from the town, but close enough if you want to go in.
(PS Bozza can you answer pm, cheers)

Last edited:

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Used to live there in the 70's / 80's. I lived in Rudyard Road, right in the middle of Woodingdean. It was a nice place, opposite a park/tennis courts /bowling green.
The pub with all the trouble was the Toby in Cowley Drive. I think the place has changed a lot in the intervening years. I know the Sunblest factory and Jaycees has gone for certain...ah great times .....................probably a shithole now!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lived there from 1983 to 1997, some nice places some not so nice like anywhere. Depends what sort of place you are looking for! Very close to the Amex of course, but the jury is out on what it will be like getting to the ground

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Born and bred there, lived there till 79, family still there and as said before, good parts and not so good parts.
Close to The Amex
Lovely views to the sea down the valley
Close enough to the city but surrounded by countryside

Sep 1, 2010
I didn't like it at all, public transport links were ropey, local shops are rubbish, no decent local pubs or take aways, If it snows you can cancel anything you have planned.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
The Toby was a place where you wiped your feet on the way out. Horrible pub. Its now an auction house or something along those lines.
Auction House? My, times HAVE changed!
Off topic - you're not related to a Darren Woolven who used to live in Woodingdean, by any chance are you?

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Lived there from 93 till 96. On a clear day, some of the best views you will ever get. Autumn & Winter, some of the shittest weather you will ever see. No decent shops or pubs, but I still have a little affection for the place. I lived in Ridgway by the way. ( F.A.O. Grammar/spelling experts on NSC, I haven't miss spelt Ridgway).

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Not in my knowledge, no. And yeah, Toby's auction's or whatever, signposts all over Woodingdean for it.
okey cokey. sounds like woodingdean's trying to go upmarket....next you'll be telling me that the Spar in Lockwood Crecent has turned into a bagel bar :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I grew up there as a youngster. I liked it but when it snows you aint ever getting out!

Most of Brighton is like that to be honest , six inches of snow and you're buggered for the next fortnight. With health and safety and likely insurance claims transport grinds to a halt until the snow/ice slowly thaws out.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Good and bad bits. The good bits are alright the bad bits are nasty places to be.

If you're thinking of moving I'd go to Saltdean or Rottingdean. Much nicer.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here