Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what's the worst operation you've had...???

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
My appendix being taken out, i know its pretty common and all that but still. when it burst it was the most excruciating thing i have ever felt, then after the operation just lying in bed was agony, struggled to walk for two days.

same as ! the struggle to get mobile ended up with me suffering a blood clot in my leg

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Had a Kidney removed back in 1972, i was just 17, probably not such a big operation theses days, it was massive back then, they didnt have the anti biotics in tablet form they have today and at one point for about 2 weeks after the operation i was on 8 injections every 4 hours, I was like a pin cushion!! I also had an exploritory operation on my liver as they thought i had tumours on my liver, basically cancer, thank god i didnt have.

I went into hospital at a very healthy 9 stone, came out weighing under 7 stone lost just over 2 stone in that time......wished i could bloody do it now!!!:lolol:

I was in the sussex county for about 6 weeks, these days be in and out in a week!!

Edit: forgot to add, all the tests were possibly worse than the operation, the worst was a bone marrow test, basicaly they drilled into the breast plate and then stuck a needle through the bit that was now inside the bone, then extracted what they needed, all done while your awake by way of a local anesthetic, really was not nice.

I had a kidney removed in 1964 when I was 14 months old - due to cancer. Gladly I don't remember the op at all, but do remember some of the after visits. The other kidney is now failing and won't last much longer, so if I get that far and I'm lucky enough, a transplant will trump the other op I suspect.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Snapped my tib and fib in France when I was 20. Had to have a titanium road inserted the length of my shin. Quite a brutal procedure apparently and I got some irreversible nerve damage to the top of my foot as a result. Had it taken out a few years later but apparently it got stuck and it took them hours. Luckily I was under so have no recollection.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
serious?? got mine booked for this week and wasn't that worried until i read this..

Good luck.

Mine resulted in internal bleeding. When wifie asked why I did not look too well, I showed her and she nearly passed out. Nut sack the size of a grapefruit and so much swelling that I did not actually have a penis for about 3 days. Could not walk anywhere for ages and the blood did not disappear completely for several months. Went to see a Urologist and his suggested solution was to chop one off - I didn't take him upon the offer!! I still have pains in the groin occasionally to this day. Had the Op in March 2006.

But I am sure that you will be fine!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I, too, am going in for the snip in the next couple of weeks. I'm a bit worried now. :(

Doctor should have told you that this can happen and I don't think that they can predict it. What they have to do is pull your tubes slightly to tie them off. What happened with mine was on one side when he pulled the tube, I felt a sharp pain in my groin. I suspect that the tube was attached to something it should not have been attached to and that is what caused all the bleeding.

On the plus side, I was told that you have to ejaculate at least 30 times afterwards before you can be deemed to be sperm free. So if all goes well, you should be in for some fun!! I, unfortunately, was not.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I've got 14+ to choose from, but I think it may be toe put on my finger - 10 hour operation + a week in hospital and nearly a year of physiotherapy. 100+ stitches in my foot and hand. V painful. And then they had to go back in a year later as the scar tissue had tightened too much and was causing pain.

Having said that, had 4 wisdom teeth taken out at the same time a couple of years back - that was very painful!

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
bilateral derotational osterotomy (sp)?

Which basically involved them breaking both femur bones in my legs and turning them so i could walk properly. had them pinned with metal plates for a while and was in a full leg cast and a wheelchair for near to a year i think. basically had to learn to walk again from scratch after. still have the scars to show it as this was before the days of keyhole surgery.

Last edited:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I, too, am going in for the snip in the next couple of weeks. I'm a bit worried now. :(

I first had it done under local anaesthetic but clearly not enough as I felt every cut, stitch and tug on one side. When they found out that it hadn't worked properly they decided to get me back in to have it done under a general anaesthetic so that they could, and I quote "pull me around a bit more".

Very painful and you walk like John Wayne for a couple of weeks after.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
On the plus side, I was told that you have to ejaculate at least 30 times afterwards before you can be deemed to be sperm free. So if all goes well, you should be in for some fun!! I, unfortunately, was not.

Yeah i've been advised to unload 3 times a week for min of 12 weeks. My mrs nearly fainted when i told her :lol:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I had a kidney removed in 1964 when I was 14 months old - due to cancer. Gladly I don't remember the op at all, but do remember some of the after visits. The other kidney is now failing and won't last much longer, so if I get that far and I'm lucky enough, a transplant will trump the other op I suspect.

Will a new kidney that be readily available? have the doctors / consultants said how long the existing one will last for, I have only functioned on one kidney since 1972, I was told there should be nothing to fear with regards just having one kidney. and the bashing its had over the last 39 years, I hope they were right!!! have to be honest I have never allowed for the fact i only function on one kidney, just carried on eating and (over) drinking as normal, I dont suppose i will make any grand old age though.

Hey I really hope it all gets sorted out for you :thumbsup:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
When I was 14 years old, I went to meet my mum by Bike. Put my Bike down and met her, whilst picking the bike up I somehow managed to make contact with my scrotum with the handlebar, I carried on cycling through the pain barrier. Thinking it was an groin strain, I somehow got home and I couldn't bend down or nothing. I couldn't even raise my legs in the air. So in the morning I went to the Doctors, and they told me to go to Hospital. When I got to Royal Alexandria. They told me I needed an operation because I had a bloodclot in my bollock!!! The operation was a success and I've still got two balls, but I was very lucky not to lose one.

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley
I had a full collectomy in 2001 as my Ulcerative Colitis, (UC), was getting worse and if left would increase the risk of cancer. I now have an iliostomy bag which might be a slight inconvenience has changes my life in a big way. I no longer take any medication or be in moderate to severe pain.

The only other op I had was the snip and I was unlucky in that the pain relief I was given did not work on one side and felt the cut of the tubes which was agony, but that is now in the past. Doctor said we have started now and it will all be finished very shortly. It certainly brought tears to my eyes.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
Not an actual operation but having a chest drain.
Also after I had a ceasarian they had to open me up again a few days later because they couldn't get the tube out, it had been stitched into me.
The pain when I came round was worse than childbirth and that's saying something.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Will a new kidney that be readily available? have the doctors / consultants said how long the existing one will last for, I have only functioned on one kidney since 1972, I was told there should be nothing to fear with regards just having one kidney. and the bashing its had over the last 39 years, I hope they were right!!! have to be honest I have never allowed for the fact i only function on one kidney, just carried on eating and (over) drinking as normal, I dont suppose i will make any grand old age though.

Hey I really hope it all gets sorted out for you :thumbsup:

Ta. I've never given it much thought either until the last few years. Roughly 3 or 4 years ago they thought it "could" last 10 years, but it's very much a hit & miss estimate and a bout of flu and it could go straight away - which is why I'm on the "at risk" list for flu jabs, which I always have.

I have no idea on availability, it will all depends on tissue matches I guess - I don't know much about it, but I am supposed to book a day at the Royal Sussex sometime soon for "education".

I'm on a shedload of meds already, plus injections once a week.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I had 12 teeth out three weeks ago under sedation, dentist had a "problem" with one of the roots so decided to drill it, ended up drilling through the root and into my upper jaw. Mother in law heard me scream in the waiting room downstairs, 10 hours later the bleeding stopped. I have never experienced pain on that scale, the swelling around the "problem" root is starting to go down now.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
radio therapy ablation to correct svt ( my heart could beat at 200+ per minute) They feed a catheter through your vein, from groin to heart then burn off the area of heart causing the problem, if you need left & right ventricles done ( I did)they punch the catheter through the central wall of the heart.Unfortunately I have some resistance to certain anesthetics & woke up halfway through.The most painful part is when they insert/ withdraw the catheter & when, in order to seal the wound a nurse sticks her knuckles in your groin then pushes down on it using her full weight, my nurse looked about 7 stone but felt more like 15!!!! Even though it all sounds pretty gruesome I was in on Friday morning, out feeling very bruised & groggy on Saturday afternoon & watching The Albion play a cup replay against Cheltenham on Tuesday evening. Back at work in a fortnight.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Have had some minor discomfort,
1, appendix burst in the early hours 1 night and left it a long time before calling the quacks... end result, nearly died
2, gallstones last year, now sorted thankfully.. that really stung a bit
3, open wallet surgery... suffered in divorce... sometimes wish i'd died:annoyed:
4, if we don't go up this season life won't be worth living at work, not sure i could stand the verbals from a hudders fan and brentford lunatic!!!!:lol:

ⓣ ⓞ ⓜ

Feb 5, 2011
When I was 14 years old, I went to meet my mum by Bike. Put my Bike down and met her, whilst picking the bike up I somehow managed to make contact with my scrotum with the handlebar, I carried on cycling through the pain barrier. Thinking it was an groin strain, I somehow got home and I couldn't bend down or nothing. I couldn't even raise my legs in the air. So in the morning I went to the Doctors, and they told me to go to Hospital. When I got to Royal Alexandria. They told me I needed an operation because I had a bloodclot in my bollock!!! The operation was a success and I've still got two balls, but I was very lucky not to lose one.

It's not too bad having one testicle, I had cancer when I was very very young so I don't know about the operation but I've got two wonderful kids now and I don't mind having just one ball. Many girls didn't have problem with it. At least I have ball to admit it

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not the most horific but definitely the most important. In 1995 I hadnt visited a dentist for ages and as a number of people in the pub were going I decided to book a dental check up. Arrived at the dentist at 11.30 sent to Royal Surrey Hospital for check up and admitted by 3pm had operation next morning to combat cancer of the mouth. 3 weeks later it hadnt cleared so had more surgery and now it has all gone. Well done to the dentist for seeing the spot on my tongue.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here