Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what's the worst operation you've had...???

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I had a sex change op a few years back and that was painful I can tell you.
I coped alright with them removing my prick and bollox and cutting me a gash, and the silicon implants where a doddle but when they shrunk my brain and widened my mouth that smarted a bit.

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
Quite recently I had a bi-opsy where they removed a lymph node from under my armit. It was under local anaesthetic and when you see them burning you open and can see the smoke and smell your own burning flesh it really wasn't a pleasant experience. Also when you can feel them tugging at your skin I felt sick during it and was sure they hadn't given me enough local :(
Unfortunately the result was bad news and I have recently recovered from Hodgkin's Lymphoma and am hoping beyond hope that it never comes back. Bearing in mind that I'm only 16 this was a very traumatic experience for me and my family.
Still managed to get to as many Albion games as possible though and have so far this season got to 1 home and 5 away games and going Bournemouth on Saturday.
Onwards and upwards they always say :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I fell some distance from a tree in '76.
I ripped open my inner arm, my sister thought I was ok and tried to pull me to my feet. At that point, my arm muscle fell out.

I only had 5 stitches across the wound. The scar is still clearly visible, nearly 35 years later, only now it's by my elbow.
Wifey maintains they must have taken me to the woolly hospital where they patch up soft toys.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My sympathies for some of the above posters.

I had cancer in my ear; ear sliced off, hearing mechanism removed, bits of surrounding bone and brain cleared away from the affected area, then ear sewn back on over the hole. Eight hours under the knife, blood pressure had to be reduced to near zero, heart rate likewise - all done by serious drugs. Took somewhere between twenty four and thirty six hours to regain consciousness - mind you, the up-side was I completely missed the hurricane!

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Three in-growing hairs at base of spine..

Two had to be 'cored' out and the other 'wedge sliced' out, and then be packed out with new bandages each day for a month.. That smarts just a bit.

I'm not even like, a really hairy person.. :(

Me too, in Russia in the 90's. ouch ouch ouch.

I had an added bonus in that at the consultation the doctor said to me "would I mind if a medical student observed the process"

I said "no", so come the day of the operation, there I am with my arse up in the air all ready for the cutting when in troop a dozen or so Russian medical students, clipboards in hand. I don't think I've ever felt so humiliated.

Plus there are some rather dodgy line drawings of my backside hanging around in Moscow somewhere..... :ohmy:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
9 hours emergency leg fixing op after my lower right leg got snapped of by a fiesta.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Liver Disease...still recovering but I put myself in this spot, one I am not proud of. Numerous blood and platelet transfusions but without the care, attention and care of the medics, family and friends i wouldn't be here today. At one point I was given a 60/40 chance of survival....that was the kick up the arse I needed, but more importantly it taught me to stop being selfish..Your family comes first and always should do. Guys, I've been on this board driving most of you mad, its boredom, when I do it please please do not take it personally

Sep 1, 2010
operation-game.jpg

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had a tumour removed from my eye socket. They pop your eye out and put it on your cheek so you can watch while the operation proceeds! Memorable if not as entertaining as Holby City.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Had a Kidney removed back in 1972, i was just 17, probably not such a big operation theses days, it was massive back then, they didnt have the anti biotics in tablet form they have today and at one point for about 2 weeks after the operation i was on 8 injections every 4 hours, I was like a pin cushion!! I also had an exploritory operation on my liver as they thought i had tumours on my liver, basically cancer, thank god i didnt have.

I went into hospital at a very healthy 9 stone, came out weighing under 7 stone lost just over 2 stone in that time......wished i could bloody do it now!!!:lolol:

I was in the sussex county for about 6 weeks, these days be in and out in a week!!

Edit: forgot to add, all the tests were possibly worse than the operation, the worst was a bone marrow test, basicaly they drilled into the breast plate and then stuck a needle through the bit that was now inside the bone, then extracted what they needed, all done while your awake by way of a local anesthetic, really was not nice.

Just been through the same Hitony, painful as hell but eventually was told that my bone marrow was producing the red blood cells on its own 2 weeks ago. When given the news the look on my wives face was priceless, perhaps it was a grimace look due to my life insurance LOL

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just been through the same Hitony, painful as hell but eventually was told that my bone marrow was producing the red blood cells on its own 2 weeks ago. When given the news the look on my wives face was priceless, perhaps it was a grimace look due to my life insurance LOL

Good luck on the recovery Jimbo, at least you have NSC to keep you company while you recover :thumbsup: when I had my operations etc I dont think electricity was invented, least alone computers!! :lolol:

Take care mate and get well soon :thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
twat alert !!!!!!!

If you had read my previous post on the thread, you might have realised that I was humorously referring to the fact, that the anaesthetic that is used when they ram the camera up your japs eye is purely a token towards the ancient art of anaesthesia.
I understand that supporting the team that you do, does require a humour bypass.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It was under local anaesthetic and when you see them burning you open and can see the smoke and smell your own burning flesh it really wasn't a pleasant experience.

I burnt the end of my finger on a pot of molten metal when I was a little kid...yeah, I know it was a stupid thing to do...the smell of my flesh burning reminded me of roast pork, to this day I can't eat the stuff and retch when I smell it cooking...and the fingerprint never grew back, all I have on the end of that finger is bobbles and not loops and whorls!

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
My appendix being taken out, i know its pretty common and all that but still. when it burst it was the most excruciating thing i have ever felt, then after the operation just lying in bed was agony, struggled to walk for two days.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Bloody hell this thread should carry a health warning, no pun intended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here