Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the origin of your name?

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
Mine's from when we were bored one day thinking up DJ names. Thus up poked Vinyl Richie, another one was "Posh and Decks" but a mate had the best dj name of all "Bling the Merciless" :lol:

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
My brother had the e-mail address of seagulldave which I thought was great so I nicked it for all my e-mail addresses. Seemed like the obvious thing to name myself when I registered.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Mines from the film of the same name - Lassie.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Jambo Seagull said:
What's the etymological origin of the word Brovian? I'm intrigued. Never heard of it. I thought we were the Dolphins pre-seagulls.

FWIW Jambo is a corruption of Jam Tart, rhyming slang for Heart. Hearts fans in Scotland are universally known as Jambos, amongst other things.

Brighton & Hove Albion. Pathetic, isn't it?

Anyway, I am still trying to think of the reasoning behind mine. I'll get back to you.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Nothing to do with the film...

or going down like the...

more to do with 'turning circles in the outfield!'

:lolol:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
The Large One said:
Brighton & Hove Albion. Pathetic, isn't it?

Anyway, I am still trying to think of the reasoning behind mine. I'll get back to you.

so it should be Brovion then! I can see why it never caught on.........

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Mothers from Coruna ... as in Deportivo a Coruna, (who were btw $hit when I first started taking at interest)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jambo Seagull said:
What's the etymological origin of the word Brovian? I'm intrigued. Never heard of it. I thought we were the Dolphins pre-seagulls.

FWIW Jambo is a corruption of Jam Tart, rhyming slang for Heart. Hearts fans in Scotland are universally known as Jambos, amongst other things.

It's a sort of portmanteau word with the BR coming from Brighton and the OV coming from Hove and the IAN coming from, well I guess from 'Brightonian'. The Supporters' Club invented it apparently, but as I say it never caught on.

As you say 'Dolphins' was another attempt to generate a nickname, some people also maintain that in the 1960s we were known as 'The Shrimps' although I don't think that was ever officially recognised by either the club or the fans and was just something used by magazines like "Charles Buchan's Football Monthly" when they were profiling clubs. Tim Carder (The History Man) can probably give chapter and verse.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Already done on another thread, but since you asked...

my great grandad, Edgar Everest (the father of pro football in Brighton), has his photo in the History of the Albion book. Actually, it's the very first photo.

Number 10 on this link

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
because Marsh is my surname ! interesting eh.

Been called Marshy for as long as i can remember, friends ive had for 10 or more years dont know my christian name !

Dunkstar

Jul 6, 2003
Up a Hill
CrabtreeBHA said:
Pub in shoreham, dont drink there anymore as its full of shoreham Lads who reckon they are the "don" or something ???

That really hacks me off cos chavs give all us shoreham lads a bad name we either go to the coach or the iron duke where many of them cannot be bothered to walk.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Because

(1) I like the Simpsons

(2) it had to be female and Marge was just too common.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Curious Orange was a character from This Morning With Richard Not Judy. It was picked to replace my previous sign-in, C Block Stamper, which disappeared with old, old, old NSC a while back, I just liked the sound of it. C Block Stamper on the other hand came about 'cos I'm the bloke at the back of C Block who is forever stamping on the steps during matches (they make such a lovely metalic thumping sounds - reminds me of the away end at Portman Road).

Bono

Jul 18, 2003
Buckinghamshire
I used to hang around with a group of lads in Dublin in the early 70s. There was a hearing aid shop near where we lived called Bono Vox, which is latin for Good Voice, and the guys called me that for a laugh. It then got shortened to just Bono. Simple really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here