Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the greatest guitar solo ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Mr personal favourite is on "Lose Control" by Ash. Not only is it finger-blisteringly fast, but it phlanges and delays until it morphs into some super psychedelic locomotive with no brakes, on a one-way collision course with your bollocks. Then just as soon as it's come, it dies again into that steady riff. Simply awesome. It's just a shame that Tim Wheeler can't sing for toffee flavoured shit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
NMH said:
Freebird, as was already mentioned, does not actually have a guitar solo in it. Therefore it is disqualified, and no-one is to leave the building.

"solo" means alone, as in only one guitar playing.

If it can be played on air guitar, it qualifies as a guitar solo :dunce:

Aug 2, 2004
SW France
Frank Zappa 'Stevie's Spanking' (with Steve Vai)...Cortez the Killer by Built to Spill, .............Walter Trout'If you just Try'..........Steve Vai 'f*** Yourself' .................the list goes on......re previous suggestions Comfortably Numb with Snowy White doing the solo with Doyle Bramhall on Roger Waters 'Live' worth a listen....................I'll put my anorak away now!!!!:clap:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
My vote is split between Clapton's amazing solo in Roger Waters Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and Hendrix in All Along the Watchtower ... both timeless and brilliant

And sneaking into third place Springsteen on Born to Run (though not really a solo but a wall of sound from the band!)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Large One said:
Famed for its yodelling...

It's definitely the greatest guitar solo on a track also featuring Dutch people yodelling. No contest.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
jevs said:
Hocus pocus by Focus...one for our older generation...anyone remember it ?

In fact anything by Jan Akkerman is great in my books.

Also, for you really oldies, Genesis...Firth of Fifth guitar solo ( Steve hackett on the album and Darrell Sturmer live) is one of the best melodic guitar solo's going

Of course what makes a guitar solo and what is just a passage of music that is played by a guitar! ie Freebird

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy

he doesn't pluck a string but it still sounds f***ing ace face

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
brighton_b0y said:
eric clapton - layla

yep but not strictly a solo as Duane Allman played double lead with Clapton on that track ... still superb though and anthemic

jevs said:
Hocus pocus by Focus...one for our older generation...anyone remember it ?

Got the single, which I had to get after seeing them on the Old Grey Whistle Test.
Jan Akkerman is probably the best guitar player I've ever seen (down the front at Reading Festival) he is classically trained but played ear-blisteringly brilliant lead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here