Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the greatest guitar solo ?

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Eric Clapton playing a live "Stormy Monday" when he was with John Mayall - real basement quality but should still have been on the Bluesbreakers album!

Also, Joe Satriani's "Satch Boogie"

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (live version from Pulse album)

Turn the lights out, sit back, get blown away.

ps I thought it was a woman that did the guitar solo on Beat it?

-edit-

Whoops, no it was Eddie. Sorry. Carry on...

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Totally subjective and of course depends on what type of music you are in to. I also think you have to decide whether your assessment is based on whether you are acknowledging tecnical expertise, general feel or that the solo is landmark in terms of its moment in time.

Here's my selection in no particular order and some justification:

1) Eddie Van Halen's solo on Jacko's 'Beat It' - An awesome two handed tapping effort sourced from metal but still perfect in this pop context.

2) James Hetfield of Metallica on 'Nothing else Matters' - More famed for providing the crunched riff backing for Kirk Hammett;s solos but on this effort a beatifully simple blues based solo that fits perfectly

3) Slash of GNR 'Sweet Child of Mine'- Beautiful thick Les Paul tone, nicely paced and some superb wah-wah

4) Dave Murray of Iron Maiden 'Run To The Hills' - A classic track with the typical Maiden gallop suported by a short but sweet solo full of the Murray trademark hammer on and pull offs and trem dive.

5) Brian Roberston of Thin Lizzy (the 2nd solo) on the Live & Dangerous version of 'Still In Love With You'- The perfect marriage of Gibson & Marshall in a wonderfully emotive solo that fits the song well.

I purposefully haven't included any of the great technical players like Malmsteen, Vai or Satriani as too many of their songs are instrumental. If you like play guitar you may love them but for many its just a bit self indulgent and flash for the sake of flash.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
cheeseroll said:
Spizz did a guitar solo!! let me check in the loft (re-converted you know).

If you cant find it theres a copy on ebay for a couple of £s

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Richie Morris said:
The best bass solo if Entwistle's on My Generation, especially on the live at Leeds album.

If we're talking bass solos then Cliff Burton =- Metallica with Pulling teeth.

no contest.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Lammy said:
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (live version from Pulse album)

Turn the lights out, sit back, get blown away.

Probably the best piece of mind blowing guitar playing there is...IMHO.

Anything by David Gilmour is usually top notch...Shine on was brilliant as mentioned, wish you was here was short but very sweet and Time was brilliant too.

Telegraph road by Dire Straits was good as was most early Mark Knopfler stuff.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Lammy said:
If we're talking bass solos then Cliff Burton =- Metallica with Pulling teeth.

no contest.

Mention of Metallica have you seen their documentary film 'Some Kind of Monster'? What a load of self indulgent psycho babble bull shit that will hardly help to endear them even to hardcore Metallica fans. Poor old James Hetfield driven to drink by all those gazillions in the bank and perhaps Lar's stance on the Napster influenced by a worry over whether he can afford another Pollack or Picasso? No wonder Jason Newsted the bass player packed it in. To make matters worse the backdrop to the film is the making of their last album St Anger which what with its 'No guitar solos and biscuit tin snare drum' totally bombed.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
METALMICKY said:
Mention of Metallica have you seen their documentary film 'Some Kind of Monster'? What a load of self indulgent psycho babble bull shit that will hardly help to endear them even to hardcore Metallica fans. Poor old James Hetfield driven to drink by all those gazillions in the bank and perhaps Lar's stance on the Napster influenced by a worry over whether he can afford another Pollack or Picasso? No wonder Jason Newsted the bass player packed it in. To make matters worse the backdrop to the film is the making of their last album St Anger which what with its 'No guitar solos and biscuit tin snare drum' totally bombed.

Stopped listening to Metallica after the black album.

Bit like Radiohead. Stopped listening to them after OK Computer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here